All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just not sure why the naming of Rance is increasing after the weekend considering he was beaten by Riewoldt.
To be fair, i'm not expecting Rance to make the team but i'd definitely argue that Riewoldt beat him. Not sure if you watched the game but Riewoldt had a lot of his touches and marks up the ground (even in the back half) and only had 3 shots on goal, with the 1 he kicked from the hot dog stand on the boundary..

To be fair, i'm not expecting Rance to make the team but i'd definitely argue that Riewoldt beat him. Not sure if you watched the game but Riewoldt had a lot of his touches and marks up the ground (even in the back half) and only had 3 shots on goal, with the 1 he kicked from the hot dog stand on the boundary..

lol not sure if you watched the game but I most certainly did. He actually kicked 2.2 and had 2 goal assists along with 24 disposals and 5 inside 50's. He had a few touches in the back half, but the vast majority if his work was done forward of centre and had an impact on the game.

lol not sure if you watched the game but I most certainly did. He actually kicked 2.2 and had 2 goal assists along with 24 disposals and 5 inside 50's. He had a few touches in the back half, but the vast majority if his work was done forward of centre and had an impact on the game.
Ah yes you've got me on the 2.2 front, my mistake. Riewoldt is always going to get possessions due to his work rate, I just think Rance didn't lose many one on one's where it mattered, bearing in mind Batchelor and even Chaplin at times rotated through.

It's going to be interesting to see if the selectors pick gaz in their team. Surely the first 17 games he did enough to cement a spot in the All-Australian team. He is still leading most peoples phantom brownlows

It's going to be interesting to see if the selectors pick gaz in their team. Surely the first 17 games he did enough to cement a spot in the All-Australian team. He is still leading most peoples phantom brownlows

*15 games.

Likely done enough for a spot on the bench, but not on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Ablett makes only the bench team surely Selwood wouldn't be making the team? He has played less great games and his down games were worse than Gary's.

Selwood will make it because he has had some very standout games mixed in with some very poor games. I don't think he deserves to be above the more consistent players. He will also be one of the luckiest brownlow medal winners if he gets up which is expected.

I would pick Rockliff, Pendlebury, Beams, Heppell, Fyfe, Ablett, Ward, Lewis, Boak, Gray, Kennedy, Parker, Priddis before him.

Yeah MAYBE squad of 40 MAYBE but have a look at the last 30 pages and the ruck all australia thread he was getting thrown around everywhere.

Fair enough - I would prefer Jacobs, Sandi, Ryder, Lobbe, Goldstein and Mumford over Martin and I don't see them picking that many ruckman in the squad!

Apparently Harvey is a 'lock' for the final team. That's what the Fox Footy website tells me, anyway.

Ah yes you've got me on the 2.2 front, my mistake. Riewoldt is always going to get possessions due to his work rate, I just think Rance didn't lose many one on one's where it mattered, bearing in mind Batchelor and even Chaplin at times rotated through.

Against Riewoldt it's not about the one on one's.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-29/the-inquirer-cream-always-rises

This link on the AFL site gives us a few stats that we don't normally have access to.

Sandilands and Jacobs are equal on hit outs to advantage, Nick Malceski and Brodie Smith lead the league in metres gained, and Buddy and Nick Riewoldt are number 1 and 2 in the comp for score involvements.

If Ablett makes only the bench team surely Selwood wouldn't be making the team? He has played less great games and his down games were worse than Gary's.

Selwood will make it because if he has a good game tonight, he will probably be the outright favourite for the Brownlow at the end of the H&A season and the Brownlow favourite is a walk-up start in the team. But it's going to be funny when people go back over Selwood's career in 20 years' time and assume that he must have been far better in 2014 than he was in 2012 (which I think was his second best season, behind 2013).

Selwood will make it because he has had some very standout games mixed in with some very poor games. I don't think he deserves to be above the more consistent players. He will also be one of the luckiest brownlow medal winners if he gets up which is expected.

I would pick Rockliff, Pendlebury, Beams, Heppell, Fyfe, Ablett, Ward, Lewis, Boak, Gray, Kennedy, Parker, Priddis before him.

Unless Ablett hangs on, I think the winner of the Brownlow will be lucky, Selwood or otherwise. It's the weakest year for eligible winners that I can remember, by a long way. That's not Selwood's fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back