News Luke Ball, (Retired 2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a question guys,
If his back is stuffed as the club says, why is he still playing tomorrow night?

Sounds like it won't get any worse but he will continue to struggle with it until the issue is fixed perfect example is Swans wrist

I have a question guys,
If his back is stuffed as the club says, why is he still playing tomorrow night?
The same reason players go to the end of the year and then have operations on injuries. If manageable they do and then when they have a break - end of year- they fix it.
Exactly. Can't be that bad can it? Thanks for everything Luke.
Best way to answer it is via this quote:

"AFTER 40 minutes sitting on the couch Luke Ball had to move.

He has a pinched nerve in his back and if he didn’t move, he said, it would affect how he trained on Wednesday and perhaps how he played on Friday."

I am seriously embarrassed and ashamed of some of the things that have been said in this thread about the Club, and Buckley, and by extension, Luke Ball.

Luke is a fiercely competitive person, and if he says his mind and heart might be willing but he doesn't think that he is physically capable of being in the necessary condition for all of next year then his innate integrity would not allow him to commit.

His body has been through hell on and off for many years, especially at st Kilda, where his fitness was terribly mismanaged. I'm surprised we've been able to enjoy him playing for us for so long.

He's struggled this year, and if he now has a back problem requiring surgery it sounds like he has the wisdom, and the courage, to call it a day.

Buckley and the Club are not stupid, despite what many think.
They know his value as a mentor and if he wants a place at westpac I'm sure they'll find one for him.

I am seriously embarrassed and ashamed of some of the things that have been said in this thread about the Club, and Buckley, and by extension, Luke Ball.

Luke is a fiercely competitive person, and if he says his mind and heart might be willing but he doesn't think that he is physically capable of being in the necessary condition for all of next year then his innate integrity would not allow him to commit.

His body has been through hell on and off for many years, especially at st Kilda, where his fitness was terribly mismanaged. I'm surprised we've been able to enjoy him playing for us for so long.

He's struggled this year, and if he now has a back problem requiring surgery it sounds like he has the wisdom, and the courage, to call it a day.

Buckley and the Club are not stupid, despite what many think.
They know his value as a mentor and if he wants a place at westpac I'm sure they'll find one for him.

Well said MG. What many people on this forum fail to understand is that Buckley's sole purpose is to achieve a premiership for the Pies. Hard decisions must be made and I for one am confident in the direction Buckley is taking.

Some of you guys must never had a back injury. Unfortunately, you cant just check in to a hospital for a week and get long-term back problems fixed. You might want to look at last week's game and have a look at Ball trying to get up after contested situations. He is not in the peak of condition at the moment and I dont think it would improve with a week on the couch playing super mario...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm nope.

I assume you are referring to his leadership credentials. It may surprise you to learn that a player can be a leader on the field without being in the leadership group. I think you will find that Beams is highly regarded in this area.

:cry:

Wasn't just your typical footy head numskull.

Always seemed like a genuine good guy with a head firmly screwed on his shoulders.

No doubt he'll excel in whatever he pursues next, may even find his way into the corporate world of AFL somewhere.

Thanks for everything you gave to the club, Bally, champ. :thumbsu:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Congratulations on a magnificent career, Luke Ball, it's going to be an honour to be there to witness your final game, and I hope the G is packed with Hawks and Magpies supporters to cheer you off.

Your premiership in 2010 was well-deserved, and if Ross Lyon had used you properly in the 2009 GF, you might have had one with St Kilda.

A wonderful player and a gentleman.

Congratulations on a magnificent career, Luke Ball, it's going to be an honour to be there to witness your final game, and I hope the G is packed with Hawks and Magpies supporters to cheer you off.

Your premiership in 2010 was well-deserved, and if Ross Lyon had used you properly in the 2009 GF, you might have had one with St Kilda.

A wonderful player and a gentleman.
Nicely said, all of that. I'm just hoping against incredible odds that it's not his final game!

Nicely said, all of that. I'm just hoping against incredible odds that it's not his final game!

Well I'm clearly biased in the other direction, but great players from all clubs need to be celebrated.

I even loved watching Luke Ball play when he was at St.Kilda.
I remember a game at Etihad when Saints played Port Adelaide a couple of years before he came to us he got knocked out.
It happened right in front of me. He was out for a few weeks after that.
The body can sustain only a certain amount of battering and he took triple compared to most players.
I would have liked him to play another season, but sometimes common sense has to prevail.
Jarrod Molloy retired at around 27.
He was also crash and bash type as was Leigh Brown who could have kept playing.
I remember Molloy saying he wanted a quality of life after football.
I think that Luke Ball should take that approach.
You do not want to be like Shane Kerrison who can hardly walk these days because of all the hits he copped.
Luke is a smart bloke and will find something to do after football.
Is another season worth the risk of permanent injury?
I have sciatica from doing bugger all.
If you have not had back problems, you do not know what pain is.
If Luke needs an operation, it was best for his well being to pull the plug !
Best Wishes to a great player and person !!!!

Ball (if he has a son), probably won't ram footy down his throat like some do (I'm not saying it's a bad thing).
Rather, he would encourage his son to follow his dreams.....which may not include playing football.
Ball junior, the philosopher, the poet, the peace maker, the doctor, the lawyer...........social welfare ambassador.

You are right but Ball himself wanted to hit 100 games for the club which I can only presume for FS eligibility.

Obviously if his back injury is as bad as reported than clearly he has made the right call.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back