Cardless / Emergency Cash and Contactless Payments via Phone

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm always interested in technologies that enable us to substitute physical for digital: Cardless, Contactless, NFC, PayTag, Tap & Pay, Tap & Go, etc. It was two years ago when we were first alerted that Australian banks were looking into these technologies:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...e-get-cash-without-a-card-20120615-20dy6.html

I have used CBA's Cardless Cash and it's pretty good as a 1.0 implementation. I have used it to pay someone $50, and have also tested it out myself while standing at an ATM. That's one way to not have to worry about ATM skimming or covering the number pad for fear of skimmers or prying eyes.

Commonwealth Bank Cardless Cash
- initiated through the CommBank app (iOS, Android, not yet for WP)
- collector receives an 8-digit Cash Code and a 4-digit Cash PIN
- limited to 1 daily (successful) cardless withdrawal
- limited to $200 per day
- must be collected within 30 minutes from a CBA ATM
- www.commbank.com.au/commbankapp

Westpac Emergency Cash
- available 24/7, but have to call 132 032 to initiate (app support coming) (app support now here)
- you will be read a 6-digit Cash Code, which you can ask to also be sent via SMS
- you can send that Cash Code on to a 3rd party
- limited to $1000 per day (now $500) and $2000 per week (now $1000)
- must be collected within 3 hours from a Westpac ATM
- collector can choose to withdraw less than the agreed amount
- http://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/bank-accounts/emergency-cash/

NAB and ANZ
I believe NAB are looking into cardless technologies, unaware of ANZ's plans.

NFC, PayTag, Tap & Pay

I am yet to use Tap & Pay or similar technologies but am interested in technologies that would allow me to leave cash and cards at home. Note, this is not PayWave or PayPass as those are done with a card. PayTag, Tag&Pay etc achieve the same effect but with your phone rather than your card.

Last edited:

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So, what are other people's opinions and experiences? If you are a customer of CBA or WBC, I'd suggest give it a go and see what you think.

Re contactless payments, current iPhones don't have NFC and I don't want to get a PayTag so I'll just wait for the time being. There are rumours the iPhone 6 will have NFC.

My suggestions to improve the CBA cardless facility:
- option to send email when money has been collected from ATM
- option to send email if money not collected within time limit
- extend Cash Code window from 30 minutes to 2 hours
- increase to 2 daily transactions

Last edited:

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Possibly one of the first implementations, the Royal Bank of Scotland's "Get Cash":
- initiated via the RBS app (iOS, Android, WP and even BB)
- collector receives a 6-digit Cash Code
- limited to 2 daily cardless withdrawals
- limited to £250 per day
- must be collected within 3 hours
- RBS customers can also obtain Emergency Cash by calling the bank

Last edited:

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Kind of relevant to this thread, but a little different: In the past week I have had to pay money back to two colleagues.

1) Not a CBA customer. Via the app I selected ''Pay someone" - "Pay to mobile or email" and found their mobile number in my Contacts. He was sent a text message instructing him to collect from https://www.commbank.com.au/collect/.

2) Same as above except this time it was to a CBA customer. He had the CommBank app and in the Settings had specified a Default Deposit Account and also that his phone was registered for mobile banking. So I initiate a payment to his mobile, he did not receive a text message, but within maybe 15 minutes he checked his account on his phone and the money had gone through.

That was pretty cool. Would be nice if we were both sent a text or email to confirm that the payment had been processed successfully.

In the case of a manual payment (eg. the 1st scenario above), the money must be collected within 14 days. To check for uncollected payments, you can check online or in the app. If there are none, the option "Uncollected Payments" will not be visible underneath "Collect a payment". At this stage, you cannot cancel a payment yourself, however:
- you can call the bank and ask them to cancel it, or
- you can "collect" it yourself online or via the app.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
First time today I needed money on the spur of the moment. My mates had gone off for lunch before me, about 15 minutes later I managed to leave the office. But I forget my wallet, so I had no cards or cash on me. Debated going back, thought, "No worries, I'll get some money from one of my mates". Then I remembered cardless cash, and I had my phone on me. So I fired up the CommBank app, sent myself $40 and collected it at the ATM. Easy peasy :thumbsu:

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Westpac have updated their mobile app and added "Get Cash"
A 6-digit cash code is generated which lasts for 3 hours. From the app you can cancel the code if necessary.

Looks like the Westpac "Cardless Cash" T&C have changed as of September 1:
- daily limit of $500, weekly limit of $1,000
- up to three cardless transactions per day ($20 minimum)

34fh2qo.png

Back