Recreational Riders: Rides, Events Anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Cycling Vic have just announced Challenge series rides for 2014/2015 season
http://vic.cycling.org.au/Recreation/Challenge-Series

Also I went to Tour of King Valley in northern Victoria last weekend. It's a 4 stage women's national road series tour, but they had lots of other open races (inc ITT) and a gran fondo associated with it on the same courses each day. All stages are close enough that you could ride to each event from same accommodation. I didn't do any of the organised rides, instead rode my own routes to watch the women's race and stopped at local small towns for supplies - worked out well.
- Great weather (2-18),
- Good roads (mostly quiet),
- Great country (rolling hills & vineyards)
- and plenty of wildlife - echidnas :) magpies :(

Would recommend this event for next year.

FYI i just followed everyone on the big footy CC on Strava. Im on it now, in a big way, never used to bother but its ace

If you are "following" lots of people you might start to get lots of sms or email notifications every time one your targets does something (e.g. rides or makes a segment or a new route). But if you don't "follow" you can still see all the activity of those people in the group activity feed if you are in same group/club.

So you might find that following lots people in same club is a bit of duplication. Following is better used when you want to keep a very close eye on someone (e.g. a close mate or a rival), or to keep track of someone not in your club.

If you are "following" lots of people you might start to get lots of sms or email notifications every time one your targets does something (e.g. rides or makes a segment or a new route). But if you don't "follow" you can still see all the activity of those people in the group activity feed if you are in same group/club.

So you might find that following lots people in same club is a bit of duplication. Following is better used when you want to keep a very close eye on someone (e.g. a close mate or a rival), or to keep track of someone not in your club.

Sounds like an excuse for not following back...

Opinions - having issues on benefit of group rides v slogging it out doing all the work yourself
At moment I am just heading out doing threshold 150km+ rides and being told I would benefit more in a group. Ok my av speed may be higher but am I really working harder over the journey? Think I will stick with solo rides

Opinions - having issues on benefit of group rides v slogging it out doing all the work yourself
At moment I am just heading out doing threshold 150km+ rides and being told I would benefit more in a group. Ok my av speed may be higher but am I really working harder over the journey? Think I will stick with solo rides

Is it not possible to do both?

Split your weekly rides into group and solo sessions? Or perhaps split the difference and ride with a partner or 2 instead of a big group.

Is it not possible to do both?

Split your weekly rides into group and solo sessions? Or perhaps split the difference and ride with a partner or 2 instead of a big group.
crack in frame solves my problem - trainer only until this arrives

shiv.png

More signs of fondo fatigue from sponsors and hosting community area. SHCCC (scody high country cycle challenge - i.e. Mansfield - Mt.Buller) cancelled for 2015.

So was gonna post in here about ATBIAD coming up, then out on a training ride this morning some idiot slams into the back of me, think ive done something to my back and might now be able to do it now. Rough day.
Get a scan and or dry needling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking out my window this has looked like one of those days where you would be happy to have a long wait for the ferry. Could of been tailwind the whole way.

I'm looking to get into road cycling. Anybody recommend me a semi-decent bike under $750? Been looking at Cell Bikes so far.

A few guys on another forum moved up to roadies this year. They did a bit of research and ended up buying Cell Lapa 2s - price now $900 I think and they are very happy with them. For less than that you probably have to go to Reid Cycles, or get a 2nd hand unit if you have some experience in knowing what you want.

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cell-bikes-lapa-2-0-48301/

What do you think of the Otway 2.0?

I haven't ridden one, so can't really comment.

However, this thread is about rides. There is a sticky thread - Big Footy Bike Store - where people ask about bikes, including starter bikes, and get advice. If you read through that you might find some useful info.

I expect you will get better advice posting there, but also put a bit more detail about what sort of riding you want to do, e.g.
- why do you want a bike? what do you want to achieve?
- how often do you intend to ride, how far and over what terrain?
- how long do you intend to keep the bike before upgrading?

I haven't ridden one, so can't really comment.

However, this thread is about rides. There is a sticky thread - Big Footy Bike Store - where people ask about bikes, including starter bikes, and get advice. If you read through that you might find some useful info.

I expect you will get better advice posting there, but also put a bit more detail about what sort of riding you want to do, e.g.
- why do you want a bike? what do you want to achieve?
- how often do you intend to ride, how far and over what terrain?
- how long do you intend to keep the bike before upgrading?
Sorry mate, moved into there now.

Transferred my IM Melb entry to IM Malaysia due to knee surgery. About time Ironman let us do this!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back