F1 in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

My take has been a (probably oversimplified) version of that, I think Vettel's strong point was the blown diffuser, and he is struggling a bit without it (and with generally having less downforce) this year.

Still a great driver, but don't think the car is as suited to his preferred driving style under the new regulations.
Sure this has, slightly less directly, been said by people at Red Bull this year. References to him not being as adaptable to a sub optimal car set up to his driving style/preference.

Which is funny, because that's what Vettel fans used to say about Webber. He was rubbish because he couldn't 'adapt' to the new tyres/exhausts (I don't agree he was rubbish, but I do agree that he couldn't adapt and that's a slight on any driver).

Which is funny, because that's what Vettel fans used to say about Webber. He was rubbish because he couldn't 'adapt' to the new tyres/exhausts (I don't agree he was rubbish, but I do agree that he couldn't adapt and that's a slight on any driver).
Don't recall anyone saying that made him rubbish, could be wrong though. Then again Australians have unrealistic expectations so most would see Webber as having not won a WDC and automatically concluded he was no good.

Don't recall anyone saying that made him rubbish, could be wrong though. Then again Australians have unrealistic expectations so most would see Webber as having not won a WDC and automatically concluded he was no good.
Not talking about Australians. And to be fair, last year in particular he did look pretty rubbish.

I believe Webber had a very solid career, especially for someone from the other side of the world. Multiple race wins including Monaco twice and a chance to win the title in the last race of the season.

Don't know where to post this but didn't think it was worthy of a thread of its own.

I'm in the UAE for a few days and considering heading to Abu Dhabi to have a go at one of those driver experiences. Anyone done it? Worth it?

Also heading to Italia in a week and I'd be keen to go to Monza or mugello etc instead if they have one that anyone knows about.

Don't know where to post this but didn't think it was worthy of a thread of its own.

I'm in the UAE for a few days and considering heading to Abu Dhabi to have a go at one of those driver experiences. Anyone done it? Worth it?

Also heading to Italia in a week and I'd be keen to go to Monza or mugello etc instead if they have one that anyone knows about.
No tips, just insane jealousy! Enjoy!

This post is red card worthy.

If it helps everyone I got here at 7am local time and it was already 33 and then shot up to 40 by 11am and its stayed there. I'm 6'5" though so I'm.not sure if I can fit in the f3000 car at yas island :(

so, this morning channel ten posted a story on their website about alonso still having hunger despite never winning a championship...

bizarely, it's been removed.. ;)

so, this morning channel ten posted a story on their website about alonso still having hunger despite never winning a championship...

bizarely, it's been removed.. ;)

It will be a decade next year since he first won a title. Yet everyone still rates him the best in the business. That is some huge respect in the paddock for the man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here it is:

1v6C55S.jpg

I would melt in that heat! Monza must have a great atmosphere - when you get there take pictures!
Just to clarify I can't get to Monza for the GP, I have to be in Zurich on Sunday. But I was thinking of heading there to drive around it if they have something like that. I know they do at Spa and Abu Dhabi at least.

Just to clarify I can't get to Monza for the GP, I have to be in Zurich on Sunday. But I was thinking of heading there to drive around it if they have something like that. I know they do at Spa and Abu Dhabi at least.

I would imagine even outside of an F1 race Monza will have a fantastic feel to it - it's a legendary place for so many reasons - have fun!

Luca DiMontezemolo has resigned from Ferrari.
Chairman of Santander Emilio Botin has died. Big supporter of Santander being in F1, and Alonso.

Just last week Alonso said he had no plans of leaving Ferrari anytime soon. Wonder if that's changed this morning...

As we all predicted. Was the car rather than the driver
Hasn't that been the case in f1 the last few years? You have your obviously great drivers, who can push a car higher in the standings than it really should be (e.g. Alonso) but these days it's more of an engineering contest than previously has been the case. Even as far back as the adaptive suspension williams in Senna's era.

I'm not really complaining too much though, I'm still loving watching it :D

I'd just ban all radio message.

Hasn't that been the case in f1 the last few years? You have your obviously great drivers, who can push a car higher in the standings than it really should be (e.g. Alonso) but these days it's more of an engineering contest than previously has been the case. Even as far back as the adaptive suspension williams in Senna's era.

I'm not really complaining too much though, I'm still loving watching it :D
It's always been an engineering contest. But to be comprehensively outperformed by Ricciardo (When Vettel has won the last four titles) really is a poor reflection on his overall, genuine ability. The cars may be different, but it's not so much different that a 4 time F1 champ couldn't handle. Schumacher could at least say he was gone for 3 years, and hadn't raced any other cars at all.

I'd just ban all radio message.

It's always been an engineering contest. But to be comprehensively outperformed by Ricciardo (When Vettel has won the last four titles) really is a poor reflection on his overall, genuine ability. The cars may be different, but it's not so much different that a 4 time F1 champ couldn't handle. Schumacher could at least say he was gone for 3 years, and hadn't raced any other cars at all.
Fair call, although I think Vettel just happened to naturally love exhaust blown diffusers. With a change of that magnitude, the different performance isn't unexpected in my mind. It's like if next season the FIA allowed fans to be used for suction (Chapparal 2J style), and some drivers love it and some don't take to it so naturally.

My pointless babble aside, I don't think it's a slight on Vettel this year at all, if anything it's applause worthy by Ricciardo. He's not just consistently outperforming Vettel, he's giving most non AMG drivers a good run for their money, in a car that I'm not so sure is even second best on the grid. (It might be, but I'm inclined to think the Williams is better overall on most tracks)

Hopefully this all makes sense, but it's confusing me a little bit reading back over, so there'll be no offence taken if nobody knows what I'm on about :D

Edit: I absolutely agree on the radio messages. One light on the dashboard that means "Box Box Box" and a board a la MotoGP that the Pit Crew can hang out on the home straight once a lap. Only downside would be the loss of the drama value of drivers reacting to incidents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back