Toast Matty Taberner

Remove this Banner Ad

needs a big game this week, even with Pav in.
2 goals would be handy, but needs a few marks, and around ~15 possies to have played a good game imo. Basically needs to keep the defenders guarding him, put on defensive pressure, and use his running capabilities to be an option coming out of the backline.

All he needs to ensure is hold his backman accountable.

I see him at the shops a few times too. Along with Tanner Smith and Duffy. I also once saw Tanner working his magic with two lasses outside Tutti Fruitti in Leederville. He was wearing a putrid vest though so not sure how well he did.
Tanner Smith has a look when he smiles. I can't explain it. Ladykiller grin maybe.

Very cute.

The vest has the potential to replace Andrew Walker's hat as the most talked about off-season garment if it keeps making appearances.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, the hat got a full page spread in the herald sun. The vest is small potatoes until it makes the gossip rags

Back on Taberner, I think his importance in the final series should not be undersold.

If he is able to play that long leading forward that can provide a release mark for defenders and also run deep to be a target forward, then we have a functioning forward line that we have not seen before. Height, running ability and smalls to clean up the mess.

It is a lot of pressure to lump on a 10 game player but I saw something exciting in the last two weeks.

His inclusion can help all the other forwards if he maintains the intensity.

Last edited:
Back on Taberner, I think his importance in the final series should not be undersold.

If he is able to play that long leading forward that can provide a release mark for defenders and also run deep to be a target forward, then he have a functioning forward line that we have not seen before. Height, running ability and smalls to clean up the mess.

It is a lot of pressure to lump on a 10 game player but I saw something exciting in the last two weeks.

His inclusion can help all the other forwards if he maintains the intensity.

Young Vic country boy might like this weekends wet weather. Just hope he has dry hands.

He has been playing better than that. He's taken a few good marks on the lead in the past two games. I hope he can hold onto them in the wet. Takes the presure off Walters, Ballas and co having to crumb it off the ground. The Port players are also quick at ground level.

If he jags a couple it will definitely be a bonus, but I think we have the best fowardline in the comp when the ball is on the deck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My expectation of Taberner is that Pavlich kicks 4.
Yeah this. What I'd like to see is Taberner get 15-ish possessions around centre half forward and force his opponent too keep up with him around the ground. As long as he's keeping his man busy he's doing his job.

Yeah this. What I'd like to see is Taberner get 15-ish possessions around centre half forward and force his opponent too keep up with him around the ground. As long as he's keeping his man busy he's doing his job.

Yep, keep the 2nd defender away from pav. I love how having a legit 2nd tall just frees up the forward line so much. Mayne should start seeing more of it as a result also.

Tab had a good round on the punt. Predicted the 9.

Taberner impressed me with his work rate. The coaching staff have faith in him, and know the requirement for a target to assist our small forward line. The defining moment was the mark against Hawks after half time, I think (memory) from a Pearce kick. It was an important goal. From that moment albeit, 1.5 games ago he has played at a good level.

The hard part is that he played a good game against Brisbane in round 22 and I am one to not get too excited leading into finals in which you play teams in the top 8 or 6 or 4 etc, rather than teams trialling new things in the bottom 4. He had a good game against Hawks, but until half time he had no real impact on that game. So going on limited games he has had 1 good game, and 1 better than par game in this year.

Yeah, I would love to inflate his Bigfooty tyres and say he is going to be awesome, but I am not sure if he will hold his spot. Would be great if goes on, but as I have said before, expect the expected and you don't get disappointed. Stick with the facts and reality and all the stats point to a guy that has played 6 games and kicked 5 goals as a key forward. Let the kid develop. He is a great player for the future. If he can put in a solid game this week then great, but IMO anything he contributes will be good and he will be subbed at 3 quarter time with Crozier.

Unfortunately I have missed watching the last 2 games so only seen highlights. What I find quite exciting is his goal kicking technique.
There was a set shot where he slotted it nicely - everything in line.
Interestingly prior to Lloyd in 2003 Coleman medalists were right footers going way back. Since then Franklin and Roughhead have won. Maybe
Tabs in a few years. Come to think of it we have Walters , Hill , Pearce , Suban and now Crozier - the freaks are taking over

Have loved Taberner's output over the last few weeks, but just wondering whether they might replace him with deBoer in these conditions (the latter being one of our best wet weather players).

Started Brilliantly! Very, very good game, don't get me wrong.But I just really want to see him play 4 quarters of solid footy sometime this season.
Maybe one great quarter (1st one today) with 3 other GOOD/SOLID quarters.

He was immense today, really dominant early. He kept us in it early. Four contested marks, the most on the ground has me very excited.

15 possessions and 2 goals is a ridiculous expectation.
10 possessions and 1 goal would be great, really he just needs to provide a target and bring the ball to ground.

Ridiculous expectation indeed :p

Started Brilliantly! Very, very good game, don't get me wrong.But I just really want to see him play 4 quarters of solid footy sometime this season.
Maybe one great quarter (1st one today) with 3 other GOOD/SOLID quarters.

Give the kid a break! What I like about him is that he keeps defenders honest now. No more smashing Pav in an opposition sandwich play, they have to account for Tabs now. He's showing enough to be dangerous if they don't respect him.

Next year, though.... Another pre-season under his belt, more work on his kicking, and a bit more weight, he'll be very handy in the forward line. Saint Nick-lite.

All in all, very good value for a speculative rookie pick.

Oh, yeah... And that's not even taking into account that Fyfe drifting forward is another danger option that defenders need to account for. Less crunching may give Pav a bit more time to play while Ape develops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back