State of Origin - Bring it back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah. Mark LeCras would be a better forward than Dangerfield or Rockliff or Watson

Just to use my own team (I'm sure there are plenty of similar examples from other clubs).
Martin, Cotchin & Deledio have all kicked 5 goals in a game before, while 'resting' in the forward line. Throw them up there full time, every game and I'm sure they'd do even better.

Also, there are very few traditional positions played in the modern game. When Full forwards are often up there to take the kick ins after a behind, you really are looking at most players being some variety of midfielder.

Couldn't think of a bigger waste of time, it's a relic, and irrelevant at that.

We have a National Comp now.

No no no no

Every year we keep hear fans want state of origin

Whom are these so called fans .....let me guess Victorians

With all due respect the big V attitude of sticking your chest and beating it is dead ....d.e.a.d .....

The allies concept was stupid and ridiculous

Let it be....we have a great product now and we simply don't need to tinker with it

clubs don't want their players injured...there is no way buddy would play for wa

No way in hell would swans want that .......they are paying him 40,000 a game to play .....you think they want to risk that ?

Obviously was not at the WACA where Gary Buckenara kicked a goal for West Australia after the siren to beat the Vics. One of my greatest sporting memories ever. I would love a fair dinkum SOO to come back so I can give s**t to my kids when the West Aussies pump the Vics

Just to use my own team (I'm sure there are plenty of similar examples from other clubs).
Martin, Cotchin & Deledio have all kicked 5 goals in a game before, while 'resting' in the forward line. Throw them up there full time, every game and I'm sure they'd do even better.

Also, there are very few traditional positions played in the modern game. When Full forwards are often up there to take the kick ins after a behind, you really are looking at most players being some variety of midfielder.
I agree that players are required to be more versatile now but If clubs had 2-3 players that could do better than kicking 5 goals a game on a regular basis surely the club would have them forward all the time no matter how good they were in the mid. LeCras had 27 disposals and 5 goals this year playing in the mid and 'resting' forward. Throw him in the mid full time, every game and I'm sure he will do even better. So by this logic is he a better mid than Martin, Cotchin and Delidio?

I agree that players are required to be more versatile now but If clubs had 2-3 players that could do better than kicking 5 goals a game on a regular basis surely the club would have them forward all the time no matter how good they were in the mid. LeCras had 27 disposals and 5 goals this year playing in the mid and 'resting' forward. Throw him in the mid full time, every game and I'm sure he will do even better. So by this logic is he a better mid than Martin, Cotchin and Delidio?

Victoria has so much talent that we can play GAJ in the forward pocket and still have a starting midfield of JPK pendles, selwood and Mumford. GAJ>lecras whilst also maintaining vic mids>wa mids.

Victoria has so much talent that we can play GAJ in the forward pocket and still have a starting midfield of JPK pendles, selwood and Mumford. GAJ>lecras whilst also maintaining vic mids>wa mids.
Well having the best mids certainly haven't done much good for Collingwood and GCS so while VIC do have WA covered in the mid for now(in 2-3 years W.A mids will be better) W.A have VIC covered easily in the forward, back and ruck that's why most Victorians don't want SOO because they would get pantsed.GAJ is a better mid/footballer than Lecras not doubt but still doesn't make him a better forward, Gaza's best hauls are 6 goals once and 5 goals once.

Well having the best mids certainly haven't done much good for Collingwood and GCS so while VIC do have WA covered in the mid for now(in 2-3 years W.A mids will be better) W.A have VIC covered easily in the forward, back and ruck that's why most Victorians don't want SOO because they would get pantsed.GAJ is a better mid/footballer than Lecras not doubt but still doesn't make him a better forward, Gaza's best hauls are 6 goals once and 5 goals once.

When Mumford has been on the park he has been clearly the best ruckman this year. And if gas spent all his time forward I'm sure he would kick a fair few more goals than lecras. Vic would be so much better than any other team it wouldn't even be funny.

When Mumford has been on the park he has been clearly the best ruckman this year. And if gas spent all his time forward I'm sure he would kick a fair few more goals than lecras. Vic would be so much better than any other team it wouldn't even be funny.
Ifs and buts, do your Vic best 22 vs W.A best 22 and we will see

Ifs and buts, do your Vic best 22 vs W.A best 22 and we will see

No worries, I highly doubt anyone would come close to this team. It wasn't easy to do either, I dare say the players I left out would still beat WA.

of the people that did make the team we have:

5 AFLPA best player awards

1 coleman medal

24 premiership medals

29 best and fairest

5 captains

4 norm smith medals

3 rising stars

4 brownlows

4 alca best players

BEHOLD THE MIGHT OF VICTORIA

B N. Malceski T. Lonergan J. Gibson

HB L. Hodge D. Talia H. Shaw

C S. Mitchell J. Watson T. Boak

HF P. Dangerfield J. Roughead S. Johnson

F G. Ablett T. Cloke R. Gray

R S. Mumford J. P. Kennedy S. Pendlebury J. Selwood

I/C B. Goddard J Bartell D. Mundy Sub. B. Harvey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously was not at the WACA where Gary Buckenara kicked a goal for West Australia after the siren to beat the Vics. One of my greatest sporting memories ever. I would love a fair dinkum SOO to come back so I can give s**t to my kids when the West Aussies pump the Vics

We don't want it

We don't need it

The allies concept was stupid and doesn't work

No worries, I highly doubt anyone would come close to this team. It wasn't easy to do either, I dare say the players I left out would still beat WA.

of the people that did make the team we have:

5 AFLPA best player awards

1 coleman medal

24 premiership medals

29 best and fairest

5 captains

4 norm smith medals

3 rising stars

4 brownlows

4 alca best players

BEHOLD THE MIGHT OF VICTORIA

B N. Malceski T. Lonergan J. Gibson

HB L. Hodge D. Talia H. Shaw

C S. Mitchell J. Watson T. Boak

HF P. Dangerfield J. Roughead S. Johnson

F G. Ablett T. Cloke R. Gray

R S. Mumford J. P. Kennedy S. Pendlebury J. Selwood

I/C B. Goddard J Bartell D. Mundy Sub. B. Harvey
Not bad a lot of talent in that team not sure it could match the pure class and talent of W.A though

FB: L.Mcpharlin, E.Mackenzie, M.Johnson

HB: C.Yarran, H.Taylor, D.Swallow

C: S.Hill, A.Swallow, H.Bennell

HF: L.Jetta, L.Franklin, M.Lecras

FF: H.Ballantyne, J.Kennedy, M.Walters

Foll: A.Sandilands, J.Omeara, N.Fyfe

Int: N.Naitinui, M.Priddis, J.Darling, D.Wells (sub)

If these two teams actually played how would you honestly see the match ups? I reckon Mackenzie would keep Cloke to 0 goals as usual, Sandi to dominate the hit outs, Fyfe to break even in the clearances, Taylor to be loose man and mop up all day, W.A wings to kill Vic wings for pace, none of the backs able to keep Franklin under 6-7 goals, both teams small forward be lucky for a break even.

Not bad a lot of talent in that team not sure it could match the pure class and talent of W.A though

If these two teams actually played how would you honestly see the match ups? I reckon Mackenzie would keep Cloke to 0 goals as usual, Sandi to dominate the hit outs, Fyfe to break even in the clearances, Taylor to be loose man and mop up all day, W.A wings to kill Vic wings for pace, none of the backs able to keep Franklin under 6-7 goals, both teams small forward be lucky for a break even.

* we'll be set in a few years with Fyfe, O'Meara, Bennell, Coniglio, Swallow, Martin etc in the midfield

The problem I have is that i'll be barracking for 'no injuries' :/

Considering no Richmond players were selected, I say go for it and play hard!

If any Richmond players were selected, I'd hope for some 'niggles' to require them to rest.

We don't want it

We don't need it

The allies concept was stupid and doesn't work
Why was it dependent on allies? Keep making emphatic statements and I am sure I will be won over. I will try it;
"I AM 100 PERCENT CORRECT"

Oh the Cicero of Bigfooty

That's damn fine team. I still think we'll flog you though. You might have a bit more pace but we'd dominate at the coal face which Is why I think that pace would be irrelevant. I can see a ton of goals coming from the midfield for the Vic's. And I included lonergan specifically for buddy because he usually dominates him. I only need cloke to not concede marks to Mckenzie because It would be ablett, gray, Stevie j, and dangerfield at his feet. Wa have a Clear advantage in the hit outs but due to the class of the vic mids it will be largely irrelevant. I think we would be able to nullify Taylor's influence rather easily because with the midfield we have we could play an awesome handball game with a precision kick into the 50 or just kick goals from outside 50 such is our class. Also you don't have anywhere near the class in your small backs to match our small forwards and I think you have one too many talls back there which would make it easy for us to lock it in the 50.

God damn I wanna see this game so bad!

Would never happen but if WA actually got their best team on the park and it was actually played at Subiaco there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't beat Victoria. Depth would be WA's biggest problem when a few players inevitably pull out, Victoria's in comparison would be endless. And ffs in no way Priddis plays..

Why was it dependent on allies? Keep making emphatic statements and I am sure I will be won over. I will try it;
"I AM 100 PERCENT CORRECT"

Oh the Cicero of Bigfooty
If we have so many players not aligned to Victoria or wa sa ......

Tassie, Northern Territory

Is flawed .....and some of those players that Ayer for the big V shouldn't have

Dunstall .....was from Queensland ......

It doesn't work now

Yeah Vic does have much greater depth and if there were any outs they would have the advantage but IMO if best 22 are on the park for both teams I think W.A would win but each state can mount a good case for their team winning, both having certain strengths and weaknesses it would come down to the game plan and the coaching.
Vic would be great in close, with ball in hand and cause damage with their foot skills, W.A would be great in the air and in one on one contests and would seriously expose the Vic team for pace all over the ground.
As for Priddis I wasn't sure if I should add him or not as he would be a liability around the ground but I put him in to battle the Vic clearance power as he is the best extractor and great in close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back