Just found Big Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yank

Draftee
Aug 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
G'day from Arizona in the US of A!

Been to Australia many times while working. Now retired.

Saw my only live Footy match when the Baby Bombers won the Premiership. Thought the sport fantastic, but never saw another game until 4 yrs ago, when I stumbled on the fact that I could get a web based subscription and watch every week on my iPad.

I have not missed an Essendon game since, suffering through all the ASADA fiasco last year. From a US perspective, it is difficult to understand whether Hird did anything worse than poor governance.

Another boon has been the availability of historic games on YouTube. I am working my way through GF's since the 1970 classic.

I have watched American sports avidly since 1949, but never found anything that has what Footy has. I particularly like the local feeling of the teams. We used to have that here, before money caused players to hop around like mercenaries. When I was a boy, you could talk to the players before and after games. They would also show up at local events. Today they all have bodyguards, financial advisors, and people to keep fans at bay.

The only change I would make in Footy is to replace the handball with an underhand pass. The requirement that a handball be punched rather than thrown seems silly to me. You can get a lot of accuracy with an underhand pass.

Essendon looks like they could go all the way in another year if everyone stays healthy, assuming that Joe D and Jake get some kicking confidence. Hooker, Hurley, Hibbard, and Dempsey are all terrific backs. Heppell could win a Brownlow at some point. Watson is a future Hall of Famer. They can beat anyone now for one or two quarters, but they need to stay focused for all 4. Bomber is going dolally trying to make that happen. It is amazing they have done as well as they have, given all the psychological pressures they have been under for two seasons.

Once the GF is over, I have American football until your preseason starts, so I have the best of all worlds!

A great post! Welcome. What do think of the recent American athletes being selected by AFL teams, and how do you think they will go? I think all of them at the moment are converts from basketball and all ruckmen size, though a few years ago I think Essendon had a former Gridiron player as a rookie. In your opinion, what type of American athlete or sport would produce the best AFL players, and what skill set would they bring?

A great post! Welcome. What do think of the recent American athletes being selected by AFL teams, and how do you think they will go? I think all of them at the moment are converts from basketball and all ruckmen size, though a few years ago I think Essendon had a former Gridiron player as a rookie. In your opinion, what type of American athlete or sport would produce the best AFL players, and what skill set would they bring?

The pro basketball players in the US have vertical leaps like
Nic Naitanui, so they would be likely candidates. A pro FB wide receiver like Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald would be a great marker. The biggest problem I would see for American athletes would be whether they would have the stamina to cover the incredible distances that players run in a game of Footy.

American FB players are extraordinary physical specimens who can absorb amazing punishment, but they also wear a lot of protective gear. Our basketball players frequently have knee problems from their constant leaping

Remove this Banner Ad

Back