FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

was 2004 the last year where an interstate preliminarist was made to play away at the G?

i for one am not displeased that this is no longer the case
As the winner from week 1 - yep.

Was always raised as a potential issue and the AFL never did anything about it.

Then when it finally happened all hell broke loose and the AFL shut the gate well and truly after the horse had bolted.

was 2004 the last year where an interstate preliminarist was made to play away at the G?

i for one am not displeased that this is no longer the case
I'd say the vast majority of people would support measures to ensure fairness and equity in the game.

That includes things such as salary caps, the draft (+ any concessions), home finals, and the fixture.

The game is not perfect but it will learn from its mistakes.

If Sydney win the next 3 flags, to me, they should have an asterisk next to them just as Brisbane 2001-03 should.

I don't remember brisbane ever getting a franklin to make themselves better. most of their players were there from the start of their careers and like Geelong most would of stayed for less pay for the success.

Where did I say I was bitter about 2001? Perhaps you should respond to what I write rather than what you think I meant.

We should have won back to back in 1999 and 2000, not 2000 and 2001. I do not see 2001 as one that got away.

The fact is that Brisbane should never have been given salary cap concessions that gave them the opportunity, if they were strong, to remain strong. Port were far more deserving in 2004 and Brisbane and Matthews can cry all they want that the bad and mean AFL ruined their chance to win 4 premierships in a row. Let's conveniently ignore that the same bad and mean AFL unfairly and unjustifiably, to the detriment of the national competition, gave them the chance to make 4 grand finals in a row and win 3.

If Sydney win the next 3 flags, to me, they should have an asterisk next to them just as Brisbane 2001-03 should.

Essendon cheated the cap back then so lets be careful where you place your asterix

Found it interesting that Mal said Malthouse was his favourite coach.

Perhaps he and Leigh had a fallout after the retirement/Essendon move episode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gavin, 'Where did you pick up the habit of flailing your limbs around indiscriminately in marking contests or pack situations?'
"Well Hammer, back when I started I was lucky to weigh 70-75kg if that,and can I tell you,was I a marked man or what ??!! So I had to protect myself some way"

Having a joke. Yeah, they were treated unfairly, but they were belted by Port. You can't tell me it made a difference in the grand final result. Please.

Are u *ing serious???? Brisbane were the best side all year and Port ran over them in the last cause they were fatigued...IT WAS the god dam difference. Having said that port were awesome. IMO Lions win if they were not robbed liked they were.

I loved that Wanganeen and the Mal michael one.

Both great ones. I love Wanganeen and have a newfound respect for Michael.

So interesting to hear wanganeen say he still feels weird attending reunions and functions. Given he was the brownlow medalist and norm smith arguably the most important player of that premiership year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back