NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

The club is definitely encouraging players to take opportunities that they have and we will lose players who can and want to continue playing at a higher level. We've had players travel interstate, especially to Adelaide to meet with clubs to feel out the opportunities that could be available to them. Some of the older guys aren't going to get drafted now and aren't chasing the coin. For some of these guys there would be more satisfaction in sticking with their mates at a club they've played decades of footy for and having a bit of fun and success (albeit at a lower level) than finishing their careers with another club. Nothing against players who will move on, it's completely understandable to want to push yourself and play at the highest level you can. We no doubt have a number of especially younger guys who fall in this category. Just from what I've heard not many guys are keen to go to one of the local NEAFL sides

But time will tell...

Sorry NorWest but this post totally contradicts your previous post

First you say we have signed up your best players for 2015 so any chance of any of our players going to another club to play NEAFL is remote as they have all indicated they dont want to leave ...... then you say that your club is encouraging players to take up opportunities & they are having meetings in Adelaide etc?????

Im confused ?

Sounds like to me you may be a little nervous that a large number will move on - in particular the talented juniors coming through the ranks so are trying on a little propaganda to keep the troops thinking no one is on the move ?

Like us, you need to realize you arent in the big league anymore, its time to move on , let players go and move to the AFL Canberra forum like I will be moving back to the Syd AFL forum

First you say we have signed up your best players for 2015 so any chance of any of our players going to another club to play NEAFL is remote as they have all indicated they dont want to leave ...... then you say that your club is encouraging players to take up opportunities & they are having meetings in Adelaide etc?????

Im confused ?

Sounds like to me you may be a little nervous that a large number will move on - in particular the talented juniors coming through the ranks so are trying on a little propaganda to keep the troops thinking no one is on the move ?

Like us, you need to realize you arent in the big league anymore, its time to move on , let players go and move to the AFL Canberra forum like I will be moving back to the Syd AFL forum
will the leftover players from NEAFL teams Ainslee and Eastlake be farmed out or will they reserves teams playing in the canberra league next year?

Redland coach obviously knew hunter up against it with Aspleys two ruckmen . They got back into game when Pettitt not able to play with back injury in second half . Somehow they got him up last quarter for two minutes and Then Payne goal twice game over. You just have to be good enough to beat so call good players when it really counts.

Saw Aspley win today.Good hard game with Aspley just being that little better all day.For Aspley, I thought Grose and Hutchinson in the backline were superb, Payne, Thompson and Daye were good to. For Redlands, Carse was superb( such a good player.), Grewar very good and young Keays went very well....big future for this kid.
Must comment, the ground surface was a picture, there was a large marque with tables and seating at the sports club end of the ground and a number of various food stalls providing plenty of choices such as special hot dogs a bbq, to a stall that catered for the kids with ice creams, fairy floss etc etc. Also there was a tent that displayed Aspleys history with numerous photos etc etc.To me, a great set up and for once I must compliment the NEAFL and Aspley on a excellent presentation...crowd I predict was around 600 plus at the most.All in all, a good day.

Yeah I went and watched Redlands and Aspley as well. Cracking game. At half time Redlands looked cooked and I thought it was going to be a blow out. Even Redlands warming up after half time they looked super flat. Their third quarter though was awesome to watch and they really got going with all the momentum, but a couple of missed set shots hurt them. Agree with Stuyd, Carse was instrumental in getting them back in it, Rees goes very hard at it, Pfieffer tried his guts out and I thought was good. Great game. I hope Aspley can now give it to the interstate teams and fly the flag for Qld.

Yeah I went and watched Redlands and Aspley as well. Cracking game. At half time Redlands looked cooked and I thought it was going to be a blow out. Even Redlands warming up after half time they looked super flat. Their third quarter though was awesome to watch and they really got going with all the momentum, but a couple of missed set shots hurt them. Agree with Stuyd, Carse was instrumental in getting them back in it, Rees goes very hard at it, Pfieffer tried his guts out and I thought was good. Great game. I hope Aspley can now give it to the interstate teams and fly the flag for Qld.

Yes Pea Nut,
Carse exceptional and Pfieffer was good as well.Redlands had the momentum going not only in the third quarter but in the first 10 minutes of the final quarter where they got within 9 points. But the backbreaker was when Payne was awarded a mark in the forward pocket which actually he dropped and the pill clearly hit the turf and then bounced back up into his arms/chest..... a terrible decision/mistake made by the umpire . Payne kicked the goal and 2 minutes later he took a mark in the other pocket and kicked truly.... from there it was all over. Is a very good player .(Payne)
But really, Aspley had the upper hand all day.

Yeah agree mate. That was a horrible decision. He went at it with his fingers to the sky to try and trap the ball as he was never going to mark it. He was about to get rid of it when the whistle went. When the mark was paid, no-one could believe it. The umpire couldn't have been in a worse position to pay it either. If Redlands had have kicked another to go within 3 points, the intensity would have gone to another level. Aspley was able to hold strong when it mattered. The number 16 for Aspley, I remember watching play for Morningside for quite a few years. Did he follow the coach across to Aspley. He also had a decent game. Missed a pretty easy set shot late though, which would have well and truly sealed it.

Yeah agree mate. That was a horrible decision. He went at it with his fingers to the sky to try and trap the ball as he was never going to mark it. He was about to get rid of it when the whistle went. When the mark was paid, no-one could believe it. The umpire couldn't have been in a worse position to pay it either. If Redlands had have kicked another to go within 3 points, the intensity would have gone to another level. Aspley was able to hold strong when it mattered. The number 16 for Aspley, I remember watching play for Morningside for quite a few years. Did he follow the coach across to Aspley. He also had a decent game. Missed a pretty easy set shot late though, which would have well and truly sealed it.

16is Holman .pretty easy shot he missed at a vital time. I noticed cleve Hughes in best players. No goals , few possessions , we'll beaten by his opponent wtf.must have been the best three kicks you will ever see.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is a big wtf ??? I didn't realise he was playing until the second half. Did absolutely nothing, and certainly was well beaten.

As I said, Hutchinson closed Hughes down all day, and Grose was superb in the Aspley backline.Not a lot said about Grose this year, but gee he is a good player.Was a gun for Mt Gravatt over the past 3 or 4 seasons and before that he played plenty of games at senior level in the SANFL in Adelaide .Quality player and a magnificent kick of the footy.

someone took off with the goal posts at TIO.

thunder up 3.2 - 2.2 at half time

thunder eventually won 7.11 - 5.6. Liam Patrick took a decent mark. hard to see on youtube atm as the video is a 144p.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched a fair bit of the Thunder vs Ainslie game tonight on livestream..... perfect conditions that produced only 12 goals in total for the game. Thunder looked to have control of the game from the start and didn't get out of third gear, just doing enough to keep a gallant Ainslie at bay. May well of been a game plan to save the legs/energies for their next big final against the Swans away from their home ground fortress!

so both games in Blacktown next Sat and Sun.

If Sydney take it seriously, i suspect they might(places up for grabs thru injury, suspension, form in the AFL) Thunder are no hope. there are no player restrictions for them this weekend.

Now have GWS put it away for the season or are they after a win? anyone got any ideas, knowledge etc on this? they can play 15 listed players, do they want to?

so both games in Blacktown next Sat and Sun.

If Sydney take it seriously, i suspect they might(places up for grabs thru injury, suspension, form in the AFL) Thunder are no hope. there are no player restrictions for them this weekend.

Now have GWS put it away for the season or are they after a win? anyone got any ideas, knowledge etc on this? they can play 15 listed players, do they want to?

Seanoff,
so your saying that there are no player restrictions for the Swans next weekend,,,,,,I thought the rules were a maximum of 15 listed players only allowed for the AFL reserve grade sides in finals.? Can anyone confirm this situation ?>

GWS will / have put the queue in the rack a few weeks ago after a fair few players went for season ending surgery. After their last game at the senior level yesterday I am tipping that they want the majority of their list in for surgery or resting immediately. Leon Cameron will be in charge of his 2nd pre season and will want 100% of his squad back and available for week 1 of pre season (except those with long term injuries). With the player enterprise bargaining agreement in place there is now a minimum rest period that is mandatory.

Therefore I am tipping at least half of their NEAFL squad this week will be top ups if not more.

Im confused ?

I said that two of our best players and our coach had confirmed that they would be returning in 2015 and that I had heard that other senior players had decided to stay on also.

Some players, especially some of the young guns that are coming through the ranks, are exploring their options elsewhere.

I never said, as you claimed, that "have all indicated they don't want to leave". Maybe you miss read what I posted. I am just saying that it seems we will keep a good number of our core playing group next year. No doubt a number will move on to other things but from what I have heard I would be surprised if many at all go to the other Canberra based NEAFL clubs.

I look forward to seeing how some of the younger players will go playing elsewhere at a higher level.

And no propaganda here, I'm no club official and have no interests in the club other than enjoying witnessing the footy side of things.

Seanoff,
so your saying that there are no player restrictions for the Swans next weekend,,,,,,I thought the rules were a maximum of 15 listed players only allowed for the AFL reserve grade sides in finals.? Can anyone confirm this situation ?>

16.2.1 WHEN PLAYING AGAINST NON AFL CLUB OPPOSITION (excluding NT Thunder): (a) For home and away matches:

-The 22 players in the squad shall comprise of a maximum 18 listed players (primary or rookie list) and a minimum of 4 top-up players.- A maximum of fifteen (15) listed players can be on the playing field at any time

(b) For finals matches:

-The 22 players in the squad shall comprise of a maximum 15 listed players (including two NSW rookie listed players) and a minimum of 7 top-up players.- In finals there are no restrictions on the number of listed players on the field at one time.

1. 16.3.2 WHEN PLAYING AGAINST AFL OPPOSITION CLUBS and NT Thunder:

There are no restrictions in place when an AFL Club Reserves team plays NT Thunder in Competition Matches. "

So yes stuyd1 i am saying the swans are completely unrestricited on sunday. The above is from the NEAFL. Rules. It's pretty plain.

16.2.1 WHEN PLAYING AGAINST NON AFL CLUB OPPOSITION (excluding NT Thunder): (a) For home and away matches:

-The 22 players in the squad shall comprise of a maximum 18 listed players (primary or rookie list) and a minimum of 4 top-up players.- A maximum of fifteen (15) listed players can be on the playing field at any time

(b) For finals matches:

-The 22 players in the squad shall comprise of a maximum 15 listed players (including two NSW rookie listed players) and a minimum of 7 top-up players.- In finals there are no restrictions on the number of listed players on the field at one time.

1. 16.3.2 WHEN PLAYING AGAINST AFL OPPOSITION CLUBS and NT Thunder:

There are no restrictions in place when an AFL Club Reserves team plays NT Thunder in Competition Matches. "

So yes stuyd1 i am saying the swans are completely unrestricited on sunday. The above is from the NEAFL. Rules. It's pretty plain.
Seanoff,
thanks for that,,, something I was not aware of.... ummh, , a bit tough on the Thunder..... just another

Remove this Banner Ad

Back