Review AFL Round 23 - Geelong defeat Brisbane by 62 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Walker was better than Brown because he took a few contested marks, which Brown didn't. We need a guy who can do that. Brown's days at Geelong are closing fast I'm afraid.
I thought the same thing just after one of his marks and said he'll be in next week and then he kicks it >
out of bounds.jpg

I hope you weren't tweeting wrong info to them like a certain other poster here did
Oh daz,you silly boy :D
:rolleyes:

Certainly not Jub!!! I copied + pasted everything winty told me to tweet :D

Thoughts:

-Thank you for FINALLY giving me a relaxing final quarter for once Geelong!
-As you know I am a Walker > Brown man & thought tonight they were pretty even but just think there were times when Walker's VFL form, ie. pack marks, goals (should have gotten at least 2) & pressure was comig through so would stick with him over Brown!
-Thought the youngsters were good tonight making great competition for spots! (Though Stevie J, Christensen, Motlop & HMac are certainties to come back)
-Really like the look of McCarthy! Brings a certain Forward 50 X-Factor with his pressure, tackles, hopefully more goals & his big leaps on Hawkins, Bartel etc was great to see he physically likes the crash/bash kind of game!
-Hope Walker (CHF), McCarthy (FP) & Thurlow (HBF, Wing) keep their spots but with, most likely, 4 changes for the QF can see Brown out for McIntosh, Smedts out for Stevie J, but then who out for Bundy & Motlop? (Probably Thurlow & McCarthy :'( )
-BRING ON THE HAWKS!

Also lastly:
-Duncan & Caddy especially are going into the Finals with a head full of steam which is great to see! Makes it even better when they kick goals as well! (Caddy 3 tonight)
-Hawkins another 7+ would be greatly appreciated against the Hawks
-Has Selwood just won the Brownlow? Could have gotten the 1,2 or 3 depending on how the umpires saw Hawkins & Duncan's games too.

Things I took from it:
-Thurlow must start. His skills, decision making and read of the play are second to none. Just maybe drifts out of the game a bit (that's being picky - the only criticism I can think of).

-Guthrie and Duncan are ballwinners now alongside Selwood and Stevie J

-We would definitely beat Hawks next week if we had Pods(yes it was right letting him go) as none of Vardy, Brown, Kersten and Walker have stepped up to the plate this year (injuries aside), but I feel like Walker turned the corner in that game though. Walker deserves to play next week

- Feel like Mcarthy played with more confidence too even though he has lots to work on. Just shits himself in front of goals a bit though like Burbery.

-Smedts needs to be rookie listed due to list squeeze along with Cowan. Did he get a stat?

-Taylor is out of form

- Mackie and Enright are butchering it a bit

- Hawkins can towell up Lake next week

Edit: Caddy is dangerous also.
The youngsters have comfortably out performed the over 30s this year

He tweeted that whoever gets Frawley will be missing him for the first 3-4 weeks next year as the MRP will ping him for a hit on a North player.
Problem was it was Dawes,not Frawley.
Easy mistake to make, they're like twins ;)

I know its only Brisbane but was a good final game of the season from the boys when I was expecting them to take it easy. Compare it to last year when against Brisbane we stumbled over the line; was night and day and look to be in better form heading into the Finals. Whether thats enough who knows, but it should be interesting regardless.

Also lastly:
-Duncan & Caddy especially are going into the Finals with a head full of steam which is great to see! Makes it even better when they kick goals as well! (Caddy 3 tonight)
-Hawkins another 7+ would be greatly appreciated against the Hawks
-Has Selwood just won the Brownlow? Could have gotten the 1,2 or 3 depending on how the umpires saw Hawkins & Duncan's games too.
To me, Caddy and Duncan are playing like they think they can win a flag.

Seriously? Why do they all hate Geelong? I think I have very solid reasons for despising Hawks, Fockermaniacs + WetToast, but the other teams are OK. I just love to watch good footy, while I adore Geelong, I appreciate all the terrific players (except Buddy).

It's jealousy, we have been up since 2004 and have avoided the drop of equalization that other teams couldn't. They are digging the their teeth in because we look vulnerable, if we were winning more convincingly they would have nothing to grasp onto, but because we have been winning so many close games they can point and say confidently with vile bias saying "see how terrible Geelong is they can't win without the umpires."

To me, Caddy and Duncan are playing like they think they can win a flag.

It's great to see! Also Caddy's goal celebrations & energy when next to Selwood's 24/7 energy is just infectious & helps spur the other team mates on! That's why Selwood is the best Captain or one of the best Captains in the AFL!

Rumour mill is saying >
A more traditional 'two caller' commentary is now being considered with the most likely combination being Luke Darcy and Basil Zempalis. -

http://nelbie.com/kevmarl/2014/8/1/rumour-no-brian-taylor-on-seven-in-2014
Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 12.09.30 am.png
"Taylor once considered Australia's number one AFL commentator on radio has always struggled to make the transition to Television with worn out catchphrases such as 'Wowee' frustrating viewers."
http://nelbie.com/kevmarl/2014/8/1/rumour-no-brian-taylor-on-seven-in-2014#sthash.shma6ghR.dpuf

Says a lot about the difference between TV + radio audiences.

Has Duncan taken that Beams-esque jump that he wanted to in the last couple of weeks? Seems to have gone up another notch along with Caddy. Impressive performance from the young guys tonight - McCarthy, Brown, Walker, Caddy, Thurlow all showing some goods IMO.

Varcoe's best fortnight since '11. And I was calling for his head 2 weeks ago.

Good to see us run out a second half. Peaking nicely for next week. Bring it Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was definitely not going for the ball, he just hit the bloke full tilt in the upper back (hopefully, not the neck) after he'd marked it.
Thanks for explaining it to me Fred, I appreciate it :) I thought he tried to tackle him, (which is why I said he was going for the ball) + it resulted in high contact. :)

Has Duncan taken that Beams-esque jump that he wanted to in the last couple of weeks? Seems to have gone up another notch along with Caddy. Impressive performance from the young guys tonight - McCarthy, Brown, Walker, Caddy, Thurlow all showing some goods IMO.

Varcoe's best fortnight since '11. And I was calling for his head 2 weeks ago.

Good to see us run out a second half. Peaking nicely for next week. Bring it Hawks.

Think Dunc is tracking like Beams. But maybe a year behind.
Varcoe........ cross our fingers. He actually took 7-9 steps with the ball (rather than 2) numerous times and it completely changed the way we attacked.
It was cutting them open.

Think Dunc is tracking like Beams. But maybe a year behind.
Varcoe........ cross our fingers. He actually took 7-9 steps with the ball (rather than 2) numerous times and it completely changed the way we attacked.
It was cutting them open.

I commented during the 1st half a couple of times that we were having trouble getting out of the defensive 50 and were missing guys like Motlop & Christensen who could run the ball out.
So one of my favorite plays of tonight was when Varcoe marked in the defensive 50, gave off the short kick but ran to get the handball receive back and he broke the lines to clear the area - something he hasn't been doing enough and to see him actually take the opposition on tonight was great to see. Hopefully he takes some confidence out of his past fortnight and keeps this momentum of his going.

It's almost like Varcoe has learnt a significant amount about how to play behind the ball just in the past two weeks. He looks a completely different player to that we saw 4-5 weeks ago. I've never seen him run at the ball or the player with the ball so hard.

It's almost like Varcoe has learnt a significant amount about how to play behind the ball just in the past two weeks. He looks a completely different player to that we saw 4-5 weeks ago. I've never seen him run at the ball or the player with the ball so hard.
Might've been told his arse was on the line if he didn't.

Things I took from it:
-Thurlow must start. His skills, decision making and read of the play are second to none. Just maybe drifts out of the game a bit (that's being picky - the only criticism I can think of).

-Guthrie and Duncan are ballwinners now alongside Selwood and Stevie J

-We would definitely beat Hawks next week if we had Pods(yes it was right letting him go) as none of Vardy, Brown, Kersten and Walker have stepped up to the plate this year (injuries aside), but I feel like Walker turned the corner in that game though. Walker deserves to play next week

- Feel like Mcarthy played with more confidence too even though he has lots to work on. Just shits himself in front of goals a bit though like Burbery.

-Smedts needs to be rookie listed due to list squeeze along with Cowan. Did he get a stat?

-Taylor is out of form

- Mackie and Enright are butchering it a bit

- Hawkins can towell up Lake next week

Edit: Caddy is dangerous also.
The youngsters have comfortably out performed the over 30s this year
Loved Thurlow as well Simon. Glad you mentioned Guthrie, because his stats weren't terrific, but I just love watching him play. His DE% was 100% tonight. Taylor held no marks tonight, but has taken eight marks each game recently. KROCK suggested Lake may not play next week ??? o_O Wonder what that is based on? Or are they being mischievious?

Edit: AFL website says Lake has injured his hip.
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-29/sore-lake

It's jealousy, we have been up since 2004 and have avoided the drop of equalization that other teams couldn't. They are digging the their teeth in because we look vulnerable, if we were winning more convincingly they would have nothing to grasp onto, but because we have been winning so many close games they can point and say confidently with vile bias saying "see how terrible Geelong is they can't win without the umpires."
Thanks 10lana :) We did win the free kicks tonight 15 to 11. It's only been the last few games that we've been fortunate with the free kicks. So it's purely sour grapes because we are beating the equalisation strategy, with Wells' good recruiting. :rolleyes: Hawks are still staying up too, are they hated as much?

I know anything to do with Tom Hawkins and his back is no laughing matter, but when McCarthy leaped over, tried to outmark Tomahawk, and landed on his back on the ground, I couldn't help but burst out laughing. It was like an eager puppy jumping over the top dog.
There is something to like about that one.

And he is getting in opposition players faces too.
I honestly don't get it.

I commented during the 1st half a couple of times that we were having trouble getting out of the defensive 50 and were missing guys like Motlop & Christensen who could run the ball out.
So one of my favorite plays of tonight was when Varcoe marked in the defensive 50, gave off the short kick but ran to get the handball receive back and he broke the lines to clear the area - something he hasn't been doing enough and to see him actually take the opposition on tonight was great to see. Hopefully he takes some confidence out of his past fortnight and keeps this momentum of his going.
You make a really good point Cats09. Now I wonder if he was told to allow Motlop + Bundy to run the ball out? Perhaps that is why he has appeared to be down in form.

"So one of my favorite plays of tonight was when Varcoe marked in the defensive 50, gave off the short kick but ran to get the handball receive back and he broke the lines to clear the area - . . ." How great was that to see? + he snaffled another possession when I think Blitz tappe the ball, Varcoe ran through, grabbed the ball + took off.

I know anything to do with Tom Hawkins and his back is no laughing matter, but when McCarthy leaped over, tried to outmark Tomahawk, and landed on his back on the ground, I couldn't help but burst out laughing. It was like an eager puppy jumping over the top dog.
There is something to like about that one.
A "see ball, get ball" moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back