Port wearing away strip - now ok to wear prison bar jumper - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It's your home jumper with a bit of yellow on the sides.

It's quite obviously not adequate

It may or may not be. That is not for you to decide. It is up to the AFL, who deemed it adequate at the start of the season.

Why are Richmond not wearing this jumper with white shorts? There would be no clash at all.
portwinhero.jpg

answer that and we will all know

as I posted elsewhere - I was assuming we would be wearing this as we had every other game against Port

WTF has changed??

That's horse s**t it's Ports home game I'll chuck in for the fine, just refuse to do it.

Because we followed the rules to the letter, like every other club? No, you're totally not completely wrong here.
You followed the letter of the rules not the spirit, it's obvious from looking at the jumper that it doesn't solve the issue it is meant to, which is exactly why the VFL made you come up with a proper clash stripe when you submitted that one to them.

For those interested, here are a couple of designs we submitted to the AFL. The middle was designed to be an away jumper, and the bottom a clash. Either of the bottom two could work as a clash strip.

15wnrm.jpg

So the AFL have decreed that Richmond's clash strip isn't good enough despite it being good enough in the past.

My guess is that they are (as usual) being swayed by the broadcasters who want to pitch "Richmond in finals" as an event with an appeal to tradition angle. Richmond wearing a non-standard guernsey does not help with Channel 7's desire to market this game in a specific way.

Basically, expect a lot of breathy, baritone 'Tigers of old' nonsense, with stills of Dyer and footage of Bartlett dropping the ball while being tackled, in the pregame.

Richmond submitted a whole bunch of minimal designs.

The AFL was wrong to accept them but Richmond should have just gone with a proper clash jumper like the SA/WA teams did

Yeah nah. Richmond should do what's best for Richmond. It's actually the AFL's job to pull them into line - which is what they're so completely crap at.

But as usual it's one rule for the Vics and one rule for the SA/WA teams

I'd back you there. When was the last time an AFL decision that made no sense went against a big Victorian club and in favour of a club whose postcode didn't start with three? Genuine question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's easy. I would be angry at the AFL and NOT Port Adelaide.

Fair enough too.

But boy, you guys and your supporters are going to walk in to a caldron of anger come Sunday. Hope you guys remember that's because of the AFL too.

It's times like these all teams should unite and let the 'right' thing be done. We should wear our black, you guys should wear the yellowish clash strip with white shorts.

Then the whole league should say no to any fines.

That's what I'd hope my club would do if roles were reversed or if this happened to other clubs

Yeah we can. Don't half arse designs. If you had gone with a mainly white or yellow jumper there would be no clash.

We submitted a white and a yellow alternative clash strip. The AFL deemed the one we have now as the best option. It is on the AFL, not US!

So the AFL have decreed that Richmond's clash strip isn't good enough despite it being good enough in the past.

My guess is that they are (as usual) being swayed by the broadcasters who want to pitch "Richmond in finals" as an event with an appeal to tradition angle. Richmond wearing a non-standard guernsey does not help with Channel 7's desire to market this game in a specific way.

Basically, expect a lot of breathy, baritone 'Tigers of old' nonsense, with stills of Dyer and footage of Bartlett dropping the ball while being tackled, in the pregame.

wouldn't surprise me if TV is a driver for these issues

This is just absolutely stupid. I can only surmise that the AFL were thinking............. nope, no idea.

I hope the Richmond FC would put out a statement saying 'We have no clash issues between Port Adelaide's home strip, and our clash strip. Our players have no issue. Our members have no issues. Port Adelaide have earned a home final and have earned the right to play in their home strip'.

Who the fork is actually complaining about this 'clash'?

Fair enough too.

But boy, you guys and your supporters are going to walk in to a caldron of anger come Sunday. Hope you guys remember that's because of the AFL too.

It's times like these all teams should unite and let the 'right' thing be done. We should wear our black, you guys should wear the yellowish clash strip with white shorts.

Then the whole league should say no to any fines.

That's what I'd hope my club would do if roles were reversed or if this happened to other clubs

I'd have no issue with both clubs defying the order - but I dont think any club these days is willing to coordinate such a deliberate snub of an AFL directive

For those interested, here are a couple of designs we submitted to the AFL. The middle was designed to be an away jumper, and the bottom a clash. Either of the bottom two could work as a clash strip.

15wnrm.jpg
Were those actually submitted to the AFL or just the Club?

I personally believe white shorts vs the normal colour is ENOUGH clash strip.

Back in the 90's this was the case and only morons with brain fades passed it to wrong teams.

My team freo has the best clash strip, but not all teams can make one as good as their main strip. Lions also have a good clash strip with their fitzroy heritage one.

Legit class jumpers- take not next year Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, North Melbourne and Richmond

Adelaide-Clash-2014.gif

Brisbane-Clash-2012.gif

Carlton-Clash-2014.gif

Footscray-PS-2012.gif

Fremantle-Away-2013.gif

Gold-Coast-Clash-2013.gif

GWS-Away-2014.gif

Hawthorn-White-2013.gif

Melbourne-Clash-2014.gif

Port-Away-2013.gif

StKilda-Clash-2014.gif

Sydney-Away-2013.gif

West-Coast-Clash-2014.gif

These clubs could wear these clash jumpers in matches against a team wearing their home jumper and nobody would be confused by who was on what team.

They are legit class jumpers.
It has to be said that Richmond do a much better job than Collingwood or Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back