Pick their next match ups - Joe Silva Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bader would have a very short night against Johnson. If Davis couldn't take Rumble down, then Bader's gonna go to sleep. Maybe Bader vs Davis down the track? Or Hendo? Who knows. Whatever the case, I don't think Bader can take the next step up in competition. He's sitting right about where he belongs in the rankings.

OSP on the other hand - I could see him putting on a good show against say Jimi Manuwa, which is not neccesarily a practical matchup since they're both ranked pretty much the same.. I was just thinking from the perspective of putting on a good show. Jeez his striking game is ermm... "unique" lets just say. Reminded me of something a cross between Keith Jardine and Anthony Perosh. :p

Bader is a hard guy to match. He's way too good for guys ranked 10 and below, but has very little for the top 5 guys. Davis is a fight that would make sense, but he's booked with Glover. Hendo I guess could make sense, but I'm not sure if he's staying at 205 and is coming off a bad loss. Given that he's on a three fight win streak it's hard to book him against a guy coming off a loss, so Rumble was really the only guy I could think of that made sense.

OSP vs Manuwa is a good pick for their next fights... both guys coming off losses in steps up against top 10 opponents and both guys like to stand and trade. :thumbsu:

Who wouldn't buy that card? :thumbsu:

With so many cards they need to fill the UFC would never make such a strong card like that. Imagine if they did a card like they once a year for each division, even if it wasn't as stacked at the one I suggested. They did a similar thing in the past with the welter weights and the heavy weights and it has always worked.

146 was the last one I can remember which was the all heavyweight main card and it was awesome. I don't mind the occasional treat card like that... the Canada vs USA card (UFC 58 from memory) was pretty damn good too. Which one was the all welterweight card? Can't remember that one off the top of my head.

146 was the last one I can remember which was the all heavyweight main card and it was awesome. I don't mind the occasional treat card like that... the Canada vs USA card (UFC 58 from memory) was pretty damn good too. Which one was the all welterweight card? Can't remember that one off the top of my head.

167 and 171had three each in the main card, all of which had meaning. The entire card wasn't devoted to one division, my memory and lack of sleep may have clouded my previous post :p

GSP vs Hendricks
Lawler vs Rory
Woodley vs Koscheck

Hendricks vs Lawler
Woodley vs Condit
Lombard vs Shields

Fightnight Macau

Bisping - Leites. I'm not sure if it was a case of Bisping looking very good or Le looking his age that lead to that performance on Sunday morning, but the Count gets back to winning ways. Leites has made himself very relevant again at middleweight with 4 straight wins back in the UFC and deserves a step up. The winner of this fight could well find themselves in contention at some stage next year.

Woodley - Story/Nelson winner. Woodley showed his power again againt Kim, but needs another couple of wins to get in to title contention. The winner of Story/Nelson will be on a nice run and both guys could pose problems for Woodley.

Lipeng - Vick. Lipeng looked decent against O'Reilly and showed off a well rounded game. Vick was sloppy in his win over Lazaro but showed promise on his season of TUF and would really test the striking of Lipeng.

Guangou - Niinimaki. I didn't pay a great deal of attention to this fight due to the lack of action, but Guangou's highlights from TUF make him look fairly exciting. Niinimaki is likely in win or get cut territory with his last two losses, so both guys should be motivated to put on a show.

Fightnight 49

dos Anjos - Green. Both guys are coming off huge wins over top 5 lightweights, but likely need another win or two before finding themselves in contention for the belt.

Mein - Alves. These two were originally scheduled to fight for this card from memory and it makes sense if Alves can get healthy. Would be an amazing stand up fight.

Leites - Bisping. See above.

Holloway - Siver. He asked for it and I like it as a fight. This would have FOTN written all over it.

Vick - Lipeng. See above.

Skelly - Collard. I liked the look of both of these guys yesterday and their contrasting styes would make for an interesting fight.

Magny - McGee. Magny's on pace to rack up 6 fights this year, while Court's gone missing since his loss to LaFlare last December. Both of these guys like to push the pace on the feet which should make for an entertaining scrap.

Dariush - Martins. I thought Martin had Beneil's number early yesterday, so to battle back and come away with the win was impressive. Martins also looked impressive in his win over Puig recently. The winner of this fight could graduate from the undercards.

Hobar - Issa. Both guys are coming off recent wins without looking particularly good. Both favour the ground game, so it should be a good battle on the mat at least.

Saunders - Baczynski. Ben looked outstanding in his return fight, but his opponent may well have been the main reason for that. A fight againt the Polish Pistola makes sense from both a rankings point of view and from a kickass fight point of view.

UFC 177

Dillashaw - Assuncao. The only way I see this fight not being made is if Cruz comes back and dismantles Mizugaki (which could well happen if he's 100%). Their first fight was a disputed decision loss for the champ which from memory, I thought Assuncao did enough to win. TJ looks like a much improved striker since that fight though and would no doubt be keen to avenge his previous loss.

Ferguson - Lauzon/Chiesa winner. Tony didn't look great yesterday, but I thought he did enough to get the win against Castillo who was content to do his impersonation of a snuggie. A fight against either Lauzon or fellow TUF winner Chiesa would be a good next step towards breaking in to the top 10.

Correira - Holm. Rousey wants to fight her, but I think she'll need a bigger win than Baszler to get to a title fight. Holm has come in to the UFC with a lot of hype and has the hands to trouble anyone in the division.

Ferreira - Dunham. Two fights, two impressive finishes, two post fight bonuses. Dunham is coming off a bad loss to Barboza, but is a well rounded fighter who can give anyone trouble on his night.

Medeiros - Wade. Yancy finally gets a win after a tough initiation in to the UFC, but given that it was against a debuting Feather weight I can't imagine he'll get much of a step up. His timetable matches that of Wade and both looked impressive in their wins.

Brunson - Marquardt. Brunson didn't show much yesterday against Larkin, but did look like a good process in the first two rounds against Romero. Nate's return to 185 went very well, but his climb up the ladder will be a slow one I would imagine. If he can beat a big, strong grappler like Brunson it's a step in the right direction.

Hamilton - Jordan. Hamilton found a way to look bad fighting against a guy who didn't appear interested in being there. A fight with Jordan who is coming off a gutsy win separates one of them from the lower echelon of the heavyweights.

Wade - Medeiros. See above.

Yeah, Cub nailed it. Castillo would whiff on a haymaker right hand every now on the feet and did less than that on the ground. His "if we were in prison" comment was laughable... if they were in prison, I dare say someone would have been able to break it up before Danny managed to do anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UFC Fightnight 50

Jacare - Weidman. Surely runing a clinic on Mousasi is good enough to earn a title shot?

Rothwell - Browne. It's another big step up for Rothwell, but taking out Overeem like that probably deserves one. Browne coming off a loss to Werdum needs a win to get back in to contention, so to beat the man who just whooped Overeem is a good first step.

Mitrione - Struve. All depends on whether Struve can get back to fighting again obviously, but I'd like to see this fight put on again if he does.

Lauzon - Chiesa. I'd like to see this fight again too. While the stoppage was just, nobody likes to see a fight end that way!

Moraga - Pickett. Moraga claimed in his post fight interview that nobody wanted to stand with him, so why not give him the stand up was that he craves? Pickett looked a bit flat in his debut against McCall, but should still be a real test for anyone in the weight class.

Iaquinta - Camoes. Al's biggest problem is still his submission defense but he managed to look very impressive against a high level grappler yesterday (albeit one who didn't look to grapple much). Camoes was recenlty pulled from a fight with Maynard, so should be ready to fight fairly soon and would definitely look to grapple with Iaquinta.

Natal - Barnatt. I didn't think Natal did enough to win against Cammozzi, so struggle to see him being given too much of a step up in his next fight. Barnatt has looked decent since coming off TUF and provides a nice stylistic match up.

Skelly - Elkins. Skelly's been able to use his grappling to his advantage in his last couple of fights, so testing him against another dominant grappler would make for a good test.

UFN 51

Arlovski - Hunt/Nelson Winner. Andrei looked good against bigfoot and should get a nice bump in the rankings. A Nelson rematch has been one the hardcore fans have been wanting to see for a while, while a fight with Hunt would likely provide fireworks.

Tibau - Lauzon. Sounds like Joe is not interested in a rematch with Chiesa so a fight with Gleison would make sense. Both are ranked similarly, are coming off wins and are known for their shallow gas tanks and BJJ. Should make for an interesting fight.

Santos - Iaquinta. Santos' performances have been hit or miss so far in the UFC, much like Iaquinta. Both guys are coming off wins against low level guys and have weapons that can seriously hurt the other guy.

Ponzinibbio - Sullivan. I haven't seen the fight, but Sullivan apparently KO'd Arujao badly. Two lower ranked guys coming off impressive KO wins on the same card makes this match up an easy call.

Alcantara - McDonald. I've been high on Alcantara for a long time, but he looked vulnerable against the wrestling of Doane yesterday. An impressive performance could well have pushed him towards a title shot next, but I think he needs another fight now. McDonald has been out since his loss to Faber, but has the potential to one day hold the strap. A win against Alcantara would put him right in the mix.

Andrade - Kaufman. Andrade's looked much improved in the 3 fights since getting mauled by Carmouche. Kaufman's been off for a while, but is still a staple in the top 10 so should present a good challenge.

So we know Jon Jones get the winner of Rumble Johnson vs Alex G. The question is where now for DC ? Does he stay in LHW or move back up to HW. I think there is some great fights for DC at LHW. You have Glover, The two above, Rampage is back....food for thought

So we know Jon Jones get the winner of Rumble Johnson vs Alex G. The question is where now for DC ? Does he stay in LHW or move back up to HW. I think there is some great fights for DC at LHW. You have Glover, The two above, Rampage is back....food for thought
If the UFC wants a quick turn around they could feed him Rampage. I doubt they would though because Rampage has been brought back for 1 thing...money!!!

I think the winner of evans vs glover. Or winner of Bader and Davis. He wasn't blown out of the water so I don't see him drifting too far away from contention. Rashad vs Evans could be interesting...for years people have been saying Evans has made the best transition from wrestling to mma wrestling

I could see him fighting the winner of Bader and Davis, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get the loser of the Gustafsson and Rumble fight. I don't think they'll match him against a guy coming off a big win, but will try and keep him fighting guys at the pointy end of the division.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back