Toast Saturday: the worst day of my life

On Saturday the 30th of August, the Tigers beat the Sydney Swans to cement their second finals berth in as many years. It was also the biggest and most meaningful game of my 21 years of life and following the Richmond Football Club.

At 5:02am on Saturday the 30th of August, I answered the worst call of my life.. it was my Sister calling to tell me our Dad had passed away in hospital after a long battle against countless things. He was 57. I packed some things, and made my way to pick her and my 2 older Brothers up to go to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at around 7am, where we made our way into the room our Dad was still in. It was the hardest thing we have all ever had to do. As I watched my Brothers and Sister cry, I couldn't help but stare at his lifeless body. It didn't feel real, I swear I could see his chest moving up and down.

Skip forward to 9am, and two of my Dad's Uncles are with us. As time went by, I still hadn't cried. By 9:30am, the nurses had asked us to take 10 minutes to say goodbye so they could move him to a room to be picked up by the funeral home. After everyone else had kissed and said their goodbyes, I remember my Brother asking me if I wanted to kiss him and if I wanted everyone to leave the room. I couldn't. I ran out of the room and down the hallway and broke down. It had hit me.. like a truck to the face. All I could picture was kissing him and telling him I loved him just hours earlier on Friday night. Now I couldn't. I just couldn't.

We all sat out in the courtyard for an hour, and as everyone talked I stared into the sky and remembered the last thing I spoke to him about; the Richmond game. I couldn't miss it.. Dad wouldn't want me to. So I made a promise to myself that I would be home by 4:40pm to sit down and watch it. And I did. As the game went on, I couldn't help but feel like he was having an influence on the game for me. As Titch got the ball with 6 minutes to go in the last quarter, I got a massive shiver down my spine.. almost as if to say, "this is for you." The ball sailed down the wing and bounced towards Dusty and Richards, I jumped up off the floor and grabbed my head thinking no way this is happening, and then the weirdest thing happened; it was almost as if Richards was pushed and tripped, but nothing was there. Dusty grabbed the ball and ran for his life to kick through the sealer to push us into the finals.

I felt like I needed to write this down, and thought I'd share it with everyone on here. The Richmond board is a place I can come to when I feel like I can't go anywhere else. So thanks for reading.

R.I.P. Dad, the mad Geelong fan :) :rainbow:

p.s. Sorry if it's poorly written, and thanks for reading.

p.p.s. Dad left a message for Poort
gWuKNv6l.jpg

Wow!
Sincerest condolences Jimmybob ole mate.
Hope you and your family find peace very soon with fond memories of your dad.

Great story about life and footy on Saturday - many don't understand either... but for many others, they are intrinsically linked.

Your dad would be proud of you mate.

Cheers....

Sorry to hear that, Jimmybob. Thoughts are with you and your family.

I know it might sound crazy, but I had a dream on Friday night about my late Richmond supporting Grandfather, who told me that the Tigers would be playing in finals again. He told me there will be some help coming before the game, and a little at the end. He never said what that help was. Watching the game, hearing Buddy was out, I got goosebumps, and when Richards slipped over, I was numb. I thought back to my dream, and had a feeling that perhaps it was my Pa that was the difference, and that divine intervention was on the Tigers side. I have never enjoyed a Richmond win more.

I still remember the last thing he said to me in that dream.

"And with the win, you can experience a life full of Yellow and Black fever, much as I had done in my life as the Tigers rise to power once again. Enjoy it, embrace it and never forget it."

tigerimij

Senior List
Oct 12, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
On Saturday the 30th of August, the Tigers beat the Sydney Swans to cement their second finals berth in as many years. It was also the biggest and most meaningful game of my 21 years of life and following the Richmond Football Club.

At 5:02am on Saturday the 30th of August, I answered the worst call of my life.. it was my Sister calling to tell me our Dad had passed away in hospital after a long battle against countless things. He was 57. I packed some things, and made my way to pick her and my 2 older Brothers up to go to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at around 7am, where we made our way into the room our Dad was still in. It was the hardest thing we have all ever had to do. As I watched my Brothers and Sister cry, I couldn't help but stare at his lifeless body. It didn't feel real, I swear I could see his chest moving up and down.

Skip forward to 9am, and two of my Dad's Uncles are with us. As time went by, I still hadn't cried. By 9:30am, the nurses had asked us to take 10 minutes to say goodbye so they could move him to a room to be picked up by the funeral home. After everyone else had kissed and said their goodbyes, I remember my Brother asking me if I wanted to kiss him and if I wanted everyone to leave the room. I couldn't. I ran out of the room and down the hallway and broke down. It had hit me.. like a truck to the face. All I could picture was kissing him and telling him I loved him just hours earlier on Friday night. Now I couldn't. I just couldn't.

We all sat out in the courtyard for an hour, and as everyone talked I stared into the sky and remembered the last thing I spoke to him about; the Richmond game. I couldn't miss it.. Dad wouldn't want me to. So I made a promise to myself that I would be home by 4:40pm to sit down and watch it. And I did. As the game went on, I couldn't help but feel like he was having an influence on the game for me. As Titch got the ball with 6 minutes to go in the last quarter, I got a massive shiver down my spine.. almost as if to say, "this is for you." The ball sailed down the wing and bounced towards Dusty and Richards, I jumped up off the floor and grabbed my head thinking no way this is happening, and then the weirdest thing happened; it was almost as if Richards was pushed and tripped, but nothing was there. Dusty grabbed the ball and ran for his life to kick through the sealer to push us into the finals.

I felt like I needed to write this down, and thought I'd share it with everyone on here. The Richmond board is a place I can come to when I feel like I can't go anywhere else. So thanks for reading.

gWuKNv6l.jpg
Sincere condolences Jimmybob,lets hope its a Richmond geelong grandfinal so its a win /win for you and your Dad

Sorry to hear of your loss matey.

I have a similar story. Went to watch the game with my Dad, and as we were celebrating after the final siren the phone rang. A lifelong friend of my dads passed away with literally 5 seconds to go in the game. He was 83, and his daughter called us to say that he died with a smile knowing the Tiges had made the finals. The celebration was different from then on. A mixture of joy and sadness.

An Austrian immigrant who took to the Tiges in the 60s along with my Dad, used to go to many games with him when I was younger, and we suffered through the late 80s and early 90s together.

Was sad to hear of his passing, but can only imagine that moment of joy watching his beloved Tiges and feeling no pain from his battle with illness.

As I raise a glass to my mate Werner, I raise a glass to your Dad too Jimmybob

Thanks for sharing your story Jimmybob , reminds me of my experience in losing my grandmother last year and not knowing how to feel the night she passed but it hitting me a few days later. Very hard to lose both Grandparents in a year but when one goes unfortunately the other goes very quickly after.
Condolences to you and your family.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Sincere condolences Jimmybob, frightens me as I am 57 now!
Fantastic photo under the circumstances, shows your dad had a great sense of humour and you are part of a loving family, hang on to those good memories, mate.

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
Sorry for your loss Jimmybob went through the same thing myself 18 months ago my dad was 62. Last monday my grandmother passed away at 79. I know how you are feeling be strong for your family. They may not be here with us but they are definitely somewhere watching over us.

RIP

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters

gWuKNv6l.jpg
God bless you JB and condolences from Me and my family
I'm glad you shared your story with us and I hope it makes you feel more at rest and peaceful as your Dad is in heaven
It's a horrible experience we all have to face eventually so continue to hang in tough just like the Tigers have for the past 9 weeks and as your Father did for all those years for you and the rest of his family
Thanks again mate
TI

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry to hear that, Jimmybob. Thoughts are with you and your family.

I know it might sound crazy, but I had a dream on Friday night about my late Richmond supporting Grandfather, who told me that the Tigers would be playing in finals again. He told me there will be some help coming before the game, and a little at the end. He never said what that help was. Watching the game, hearing Buddy was out, I got goosebumps, and when Richards slipped over, I was numb. I thought back to my dream, and had a feeling that perhaps it was my Pa that was the difference, and that divine intervention was on the Tigers side. I have never enjoyed a Richmond win more.

I still remember the last thing he said to me in that dream.

"And with the win, you can experience a life full of Yellow and Black fever, much as I had done in my life as the Tigers rise to power once again. Enjoy it, embrace it and never forget it."

Your grandfather had it all sorted out Grock...I'm more excited about our climb to the top than actually getting there. I saw the Tigers do this when I was 16 in 1967, and I remember the rush...keep that quote of his close, it might be just the thing we need at the end of this month.

Back