Opinion In 4 years time which side will have the best 5 established mids?

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Understood, but youve always gotta have offensive and defensive minded mids....I think he seems the type to be a grunt player with a more defensive focus.
He'll certainly be the most defensively minded midfielder in our group, his injury cost us the game against the Dons.

Bumped into him at the VFL game today, had a good long chat. Have a lot of time for Wally.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is how I think the Saints midfield will look in the near future.

Armitage (c), Steven, Dunstan, Acres, Billings, Murdoch, and hopefully draft this year Petracca/Brayshaw or next year Mathieson/Parish. Will be a good midfield. Maybe not the best, but will be very good.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gc IMO will be on another planet and has the potential has fab 5 potential ala brisbane early 2000's. Brisbane will also very good. Don't sleep on gws either- treloar,coniglio,shiel,Whitfield,Kelly,ward,Hoskin-Elliot

Feb 24, 2008
New South Wales
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters
GWS or Gold Coast are obvious choices due to high draft picks, Swans being heavily underrated right now. 4 years time?

Daniel Hannebery/Craig Bird/Luke Parker will be 25/26, Josh Kennedy/Kieran Jack will be late twenties etc. Jetta/Cunningham/Heeney/Jack/Lloyd all will be under 30 as well

Swans arguably right now have one of the top three midfields in the competition, right now. Jarrod McVeigh/Ben McGlynn will more than likely be gone (both play half back/half forward mostly though) but we won't have a single midfielder from our current group retire. (Goodes plays forward obviously).

So I'm guessing we're expecting the next group of midfielders to be an awful lot better than the midfields of today given the Swans should (unless injuries/salary cap) have the same midfield they do today in 4 years time.

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
He'll certainly be the most defensively minded midfielder in our group, his injury cost us the game against the Dons.

Bumped into him at the VFL game today, had a good long chat. Have a lot of time for Wally.
I thought that Libba is pretty defensive minded

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I thought that Libba is pretty defensive minded
He is, but he doesn't so much concern himself with minding a man like Wallis does.

He's accountable and he's a ferocious tackler, but he's there to do damage, not so much limit it. Wallis is there to limit it and inflict a little bit of pain going the other way - which he's done very well in the last two years.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
rockliff, rich, redden, hanley (x2),beams (x2) zorko, mayes, taylor and aish will be a dominant midfield in a few years. great depth there too

Big Stiff

Debutant
Suspended
Jun 13, 2013
Genie's bed
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne City
Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams, Thomas, Adams, Martin, Freeman for Collingwood (more than 5)

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
GC
GWS
Sydney

I like our midfield coming through - Heppell, Zahakis, Z Merrett, Myers, Gleeson but I don't think it will be better than the aforementioned teams. GC in particular look scary...

Cdreamer

Team Captain
May 3, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With the amount of first round draft picks you would be surprised if GC or GWS are not the strongest group of mids in 5 years.
In saying that other than the Franchise clubs the Bulldogs and Lions look to have some good young mids also but potential is a dirty word.

Back