Review Autopsy v West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunny,
you are kidding . Day has not produced any decent form for the whole season! And his development after 3 or 4 seasons is nowhere near the development of the Lynchs, Dixons, Thompsons, May , Smiths etc.....
Don't take me wrong, as I as a supporter want Day to develop and become a good player for us, ... but s**t, hes nowhere near being that.!!
He needs to go back to the reserves side and prove himself there, before being selected to play at the elite level.

Really? For the whole season?

I would agree 100% he has been poor for 70% of season but if you are saying all season you have short memory. He looked streets ahead of Tom Lynch early on

I thought Blueys press conference was good post match, he was positive about the team and how young the group on the park was, thought he overstated with the "we have improved by 25% and any business would be happy with that" bit of a long bow considering the second half of the year but overall he was spot on with his observations.

Well Done

Can anyone give me a run down on who played well and who didn't?

From the stands, Lynch and Martin were obvious standouts. I thought Shaw did a good job, and fans in my area seemed to get incredibly loud every time he got the ball - loved it.

Thoughts on Warnock's performance in defence? Thoughts on Cameron up front?

Warnock should have started on Kennedy. Rory is a great defender, but lead up forwards have always done him over. Kennedy in particular has kicked bags and bags on him. With May out, Warnock should have got it. He's a scrapper and I feel would have done a better job.

Cameron was largely unsighted.

day had a couple decent games earlier this year. taking big marks and kicking goals. i think tom lynch's massive improvement this year has outshone day. it would be nice to have him developing a bit quicker but i'd still keep the faith with him. gorringe hasn't exactly proven anything.

day had a couple decent games earlier this year. taking big marks and kicking goals. i think tom lynch's massive improvement this year has outshone day. it would be nice to have him developing a bit quicker but i'd still keep the faith with him. gorringe hasn't exactly proven anything.
Day, played a good game against the lions in round 3 I think, ( where the lions were woeful). He kicked 4 goals and had 17 touches.Did the same against the Pies in round 16...... and that's it.Yet he played 22 games, averaging 9 touches per game, less then 1 contested mark and 1.4 tackles per game.Yes he kicked 19 goals, but 8 were from 2 games, thus only kicked another 11 in 20 games.... Yes I know these are stats, but in reality, nowhere near good enough.! 2015 will be his make or break season,,,, and I hope its a make season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warnock should have started on Kennedy. Rory is a great defender, but lead up forwards have always done him over. Kennedy in particular has kicked bags and bags on him. With May out, Warnock should have got it. He's a scrapper and I feel would have done a better job.

Cameron was largely unsighted.

It was the no pressure midfield that allowed to hit Kennedy lace out every time. Rory had no chance, and even if you had Kennedy triple teamed he would have marked it every day of the week. There was no pressure on the ball carrier - midfield was obliterated.

Some interesting stats from Sunday's teams -
Avg Games:
Suns - 58
WCE - 90

100+ Games:
Suns - 3
WCE - 11

Avg Age:
Suns - 22.5
WCE - 24.27

Teenagers -
Suns - 3
WCE - 0

Players 22 and under:
Suns - 16
WCE - 8

People might not be happy with Bluey's presser responses but he is speaking the truth. 30 plus games avg might not seem like much but that also means an extra 2 preseasons per player on average.
At the game what was evident to me was that the Eagles were bigger, steadier (i.e. They panicked less), and ran harder. Another 2 preseasons and 30 games into the boys will make a big difference.

Some interesting stats from Sunday's teams -
Avg Games:
Suns - 58
WCE - 90

100+ Games:
Suns - 3
WCE - 11

Avg Age:
Suns - 22.5
WCE - 24.27

Teenagers -
Suns - 3
WCE - 0

Players 22 and under:
Suns - 16
WCE - 8

People might not be happy with Bluey's presser responses but he is speaking the truth. 30 plus games avg might not seem like much but that also means an extra 2 preseasons per player on average.
At the game what was evident to me was that the Eagles were bigger, steadier (i.e. They panicked less), and ran harder. Another 2 preseasons and 30 games into the boys will make a big difference.

Sums it up. It's not as if he is not being honest. What do people want him to say? Make up untruthful excuses?

Can anyone give me a run down on who played well and who didn't?

From the stands, Lynch and Martin were obvious standouts. I thought Shaw did a good job, and fans in my area seemed to get incredibly loud every time he got the ball - loved it.

Thoughts on Warnock's performance in defence? Thoughts on Cameron up front?
I couldn't get a good read on Cameron, because he simply was unimportant to the game. He didn't make much of an impact, but he's only played nine games and is twenty years old.

Warnock played well. He kept Darling to one goal.

I am surprised Matt Shaw isn't getting much of a mention. The bloke showed glimpses of real talent despite being largely ineffectual against the Eagles. I would definitely keep an eye on him.

Jack Martin is getting the kudos that he deserves. He's a very good rising talent.

I snuck into the GC morgue and did some autopsies of the GC players cadavers.

They all had the same affliction. Not a single heart amongst them....

It says we are 2 years behind. which we are
Correct. The only way I can see us catching up sooner is to draft / trade for more ready-made bodies. We have the overall speed in the team that we can carry a couple of slower blokes if need be. Peter Bampton from SA sounds like a good option with one of our later picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back