Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

scary 2nd quarter. There was a 15 minute patch where you could see why people such as myself think he could be one of the very best. Think he had a streak of 6 possessions in a row that all ended in score involvements, 5 were goals I think.

22 goals from 19 games and 7 direct goal assists this year is really good going, straighter kicking would have seen him blow my expectations out of the water. kid is spesh

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
JD is just building very nicely. Easy to want more from him, all too easy. However he is a very special talent and has shown more than enough to suggest he is worth the slight wait.

Going to be a top 20 in the league level player in 2-3 years time. I have no doubt in my mind.

can Carlise organise a coffee date with Joey & Carey before next Saturday?
"Just boof their wives, all will sort itself out boys"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Really happy with his year. He needs to learn how to use his body more but that will come in time. I can't think of any KPP playing so well in his second year.

There was this guy called Jeremy Cameron last year who went alright. Made the All-Australian team.

But the broader point is correct. For a player who is as undeveloped as he is - he'll end up 5 to 10kg bigger in the next couple of years - he has been pretty damn good and surprisingly consistent throughout the season. Players such as Tom Boyd or Jonathon Patton have come in with man-sized bodies but they haven't necessarily performed as strongly or as consistently as Joe has (although Patton was pretty good for the most part prior to his injury a few weeks ago).

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
There was this guy called Jeremy Cameron last year who went alright. Made the All-Australian team.

But the broader point is correct. For a player who is as undeveloped as he is - he'll end up 5 to 10kg bigger in the next couple of years - he has been pretty damn good and surprisingly consistent throughout the season. Players such as Tom Boyd or Jonathon Patton have come in with man-sized bodies but they haven't necessarily performed as strongly or as consistently as Joe has (although Patton was pretty good for the most part prior to his injury a few weeks ago).
I like the way he is learning each week. It looks like he is just soaking up AFL football minute by minute. I don't know that he even needs to get much bigger (although he will) the way he is going right now... He looks like he will be such a smart player that he wont need the bulk.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I like the way he is learning each week. It looks like he is just soaking up AFL football minute by minute. I don't know that he even needs to get much bigger (although he will) the way he is going right now... He looks like he will be such a smart player that he wont need the bulk.

He needs to get bigger purely so he can win the one-on-one wrestles. Right now it's almost a miracle if he wins one and most of his possessions involve utilising his superior athleticism. I'd expect him to end up with a similar physique to say Carlisle.

I'm particularly impressed by the sheer enthusiasm that he has for the game. He seems like the type of kid who lives and breathes footy; he'll put the effort in on the track to make sure he makes the most of his talent. I'm also impressed that, unlike so many young players - particularly KPP's - he doesn't lose any confidence when he loses a few contests - he just regroups and gets on with it.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
He needs to get bigger purely so he can win the one-on-one wrestles. Right now it's almost a miracle if he wins one and most of his possessions involve utilising his superior athleticism. I'd expect him to end up with a similar physique to say Carlisle.

I'm particularly impressed by the sheer enthusiasm that he has for the game. He seems like the type of kid who lives and breathes footy; he'll put the effort in on the track to make sure he makes the most of his talent. I'm also impressed that, unlike so many young players - particularly KPP's - he doesn't lose any confidence when he loses a few contests - he just regroups and gets on with it.
You can get a lot stronger without getting bigger. Moot point because he will get bigger anyway...

scottmclaren

All Australian
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
After 25 games....

Joe Daniher
25 Games (14 wins, 0 Finals)
135 Marks
32 Contested Marks
287 Disposals
29 Tackles
27 Goals
28 Behinds
10 Goal Assists

Jeremy Cameron
25 Games (2 wins, 0 Finals)
126 Marks
37 Contested Marks
253 Disposals
42 Tackles
54 Goals
20 Behinds
16 Goal Assists

Lance Franklin
25 Games (6 wins, 0 Finals)
96 Marks
12 Contested Marks
278 Disposals
39 Tackles
29 Goals
16 Behinds
10 Goal Assists

Jack Riewoldt
25 Games (10 wins, 0 Finals)
106 Marks
20 Contested Marks
233 Disposals
47 Tackles
23 Goals
10 Behinds
18 Goal Assists

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I had a look at stats for Suns young forwards in Lynch, Day and Dixon...only Lynch was comparable in his second year. JD miles ahead of both others at that stage.

Re the list above, it reads well and is relevant but it has to be remembered that Daniher is 200cm - genuine ruckman size. Cant recall someone that tall being as good so early.

EFA - other than Lynch who is a seriously pharking good player.

Last edited:

rines

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
After 25 games....

Joe Daniher
25 Games (14 wins, 0 Finals)
135 Marks
32 Contested Marks
287 Disposals
29 Tackles
27 Goals
28 Behinds
10 Goal Assists

Jeremy Cameron
25 Games (2 wins, 0 Finals)
126 Marks
37 Contested Marks
253 Disposals
42 Tackles
54 Goals
20 Behinds
16 Goal Assists

Lance Franklin
25 Games (6 wins, 0 Finals)
96 Marks
12 Contested Marks
278 Disposals
39 Tackles
29 Goals
16 Behinds
10 Goal Assists

Jack Riewoldt
25 Games (10 wins, 0 Finals)
106 Marks
20 Contested Marks
233 Disposals
47 Tackles
23 Goals
10 Behinds
18 Goal Assists
Makes some great reading. The only thing he hasn't done is probably kick enough goals, in terms of if he had kicked say 40 this year instead of 29.. then I think more people would appreciate just how good he has been around the ground etc. Then again.. how much time did Franklin and Cameron spend in the ruck??

JD just seems to quietly go about his business... but no doubt he will force people to sit up and take notice at some point very very soon.

Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
Well done tonight Joe Daniher. If I remember one thing about the game tonight it will be your effort.

Everyone asked the question of who would kick goals tonight and no one answered you.

4 goals, a goal assist and what could've easily been another two goals and two goal assists if converted. Bright future, bring on next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back