Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
  1. Patrick Ryder ‏@patrick_ryder Jun 20
    Thanks for the feedback. Might try Townsville

2. Patrick Ryder ‏@patrick_ryder Jun 20
    Can anyone recommend a wedding stylist that can do work in Port Douglas Nth QLD. My fiancé is having a bit of trouble locking one in. Pm plz
Paddys last two tweets, confirming he wants to get married in queensland
Well I was in Port Douglas on the weekend and I heard plenty of whispers that Paddy Ryder had been seen in the area.

I mean, I wasn't actually IN Port Douglas(no one in their right mind would go to that overpriced tourist trap). But I did drive past the turnoff and my AFL trade rumour sense was really tingling.

inb4 someone misinterprets my post and reports that someone saw Paddy Ryder in QLD
Wish journos would provide at least a hint as to how they come up with these types of figures - whether via source or otherwise.
See above.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
maybe penalties so small because asada charges were BS.
corrupt govt, corrupt afl, Essendon Chairman willing to go along with it.
With all due respect, this isn't the place to plead your case. I'm not suggesting guilt or innocence, merely that any player penalties are likely to be of little consequence*.

*Or Little's consequence, #amirite;)

Well I was in Port Douglas on the weekend and I heard plenty of whispers that Paddy Ryder had been seen in the area.

I mean, I wasn't actually IN Port Douglas(no one in their right mind would go to that overpriced tourist trap). But I did drive past the turnoff and my AFL trade rumour sense was really tingling.

inb4 someone misinterprets my post and reports that someone saw Paddy Ryder in QLD

See above.

My parents live in Cairns and my dad worked in Port Douglas for about 20 years. I'm positive they've seen Ryder up there, looking for places to live.

Not that I've asked them, but if I did that's what I'm positive they'd say. ;)

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
My parents live in Cairns and my dad worked in Port Douglas for about 20 years. I'm positive they've seen Ryder up there, looking for places to live.

Not that I've asked them, but if I did that's what I'm positive they'd say. ;)
Pretty close to Brisbane too, I think it's near the Sunshine Coast(someone will definitely say this at some stage in the rumour cycle).

Last year's trade period was definitely a good time to be overseas. Even when we're not involved, it hurts my brain.

Apparently Beams being chased by Brisbane was also brought up on Talking Footy. Anyone shed any light as to what was said?

He's coming up for Ryder's wedding.

King Patty

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2007
Tassie
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Junkyard Dogs
With all due respect, this isn't the place to plead your case. I'm not suggesting guilt or innocence, merely that any player penalties are likely to be of little consequence*.

*Or Little's consequence, #amirite;)

yes not the place, but felt it was a cheap shot.

Big Lion

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What'd they say?

Basically repeated what's been rumoured today, Ryder talking to Brisbane about a trade. Tim Watson didn't say it wasn't true, he didn't say much about it at all, he looked a little restless while Carey mentioned it, then they moved on pretty quickly to something else.

Re Beams it was more an after thought after the Ryder thing was mentioned, no substance added.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wish journos would provide at least a hint as to how they come up with these types of figures - whether via source or otherwise.
article-1275865-09810BD9000005DC-776_468x402.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cosmic_Lion

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Matthew Lloyd thinks we have 1.8 million dollars free in the salary cap. Meaning we could get who we want. If they wanted to come here it just be what we would have to trade to get them.

He also thought Leueys name was on the trade table. I really find that hard to believe I must say.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And Lloyd said we'd have to trade Hanley, Rockliff and our number 1 pick to get Ryder.

Beams was also mentioned again as a bit of an after thought by Lloyd.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For the very, very little it is worth, Jon Ralph reckons the Lions have $1.1m free in the cap.

edit: typo

Footy classifieds said the Lions have $1.8m free... who knows. But I have no doubt we have a fair bit already, then add Moloneys, Polkinghornes, and Lisles contracts and it adds up - stef new contract. Time will tell I guess

I don't think Brisbane need any more key position stocks as I think those spots on your list is covered quite well and last year the Lions drafted plenty of young key position players like Cutler, McStay, Gardiner, and Freeman.

In my opinion Brisbane need to draft a small forward this year either during trade week or via the National draft. That's an area in which they are lacking in right now. Players like Zorko and Taylor are half forwards/midfielders. Only Josh Green is the true small forward on the Lions list.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Talking Footy brought up the potential Ryder trade again. Said there could a few reasons why he wants out. But many people have said he'd be breaching his contract. Something that will be looked at very closely.

Matthew Lloyd thinks we have 1.8 million dollars free in the salary cap. Meaning we could get who we want. If they wanted to come here it just be what we would have to trade to get them.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was between the two figures ($1.1m & $1.8m).

We know the club paid the minimum salary cap last year, with at least 5% (~$455k) banked. On top of that I suspect there would've been at least another 5% of our cap used to frontload contracts as well - so roughly $900k. Same again for this year isn't an unreasonable guesstimate given our list. Et voila! $1.85m!

The challenge will be allowing for salary growth of the kids because the older guys on our list won't be commanding massive salaries, so there's unlikely to be much more freed up over the next 3 years. I do think we'll have enough cap banked to frontload imports' contracts sufficiently to allow for that growth, thanks at least in part to Tippett opting for Sydney.

Overall I suspect we do have enough to throw serious, serious coin at two genuine A-graders, especially if split over this year and next.

Remember that Swann said we've got more cap space than he's ever seen - says the guy who lured Judd to Carlton (insert paper bag gag here). It has to be megabucks.

Talking Footy brought up the potential Ryder trade again. Said there could a few reasons why he wants out. But many people have said he'd be breaching his contract. Something that will be looked at very closely.
The counter argument of course will be that Essendon breached their contract with ze drugs.

Back