2014 QFA Southern Conference

BrotherofChunk

All Australian
Jun 19, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
but that happens on the night of the presentation anyway when they go through them game by game - results filter back through the blokes that attend.

Always interesting to see how the blokes that poll well in the league go in their respective club b&f's - its nice to know the consistency of the AFL where players who poll well in the brownlow don't necessarily win their club award continues at an amateur level!

DUCEP

Draftee
Sep 11, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
there is always gonna be someone saying this person should and shouldn't have got votes in games , but its a discrace that qld footy wont send the club a round by round vote count because of a little whinging.
all the players would love to know if they polled or didn't and when they did get them.
and everyone hates umpires anyway, way before the votes are done so hardly see that changing ppls opinion whether they see votes or not.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Certainly noticed some unusual ones in the lower leagues - a couple of sides lost by over 100+ pts and still had a vote getter! Thats really strange imo and on this basis alone I don't blame the AFLQ - why would they want people to bring up all sorts of scenarios in basically amateur comps. They put a good night on, the winners were well received (I imagine) and everyone went home happy. Not sure why there has to be a blow by blow report for some bloke out in the burbs to complain about how stiff he was.

BrotherofChunk

All Australian
Jun 19, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
smy so the privilege of knowing should only go to those present on the night? As i said and you have illustrated yourself, its not like no one ends up knowing anyway.

Would completely understand if clubs were asking them for something they don't readily have available - but surely it actually has to be more work for someone to go through the counts and collate a team by team vote getters list then it would be to provide the actually count.

This clearly has as much luck of changing as arguing with an umpire, but I think that it is a valid point.

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Couldn't agree more BOC. Who would actually care enough to put in a complaint? I just want to see if tossing the coin on a couple of occasions got me across the line to manage to best my all time record of two votes

Swoopa09

All Australian
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
It does sound stupid but then again... Who are we talking about here? Apparently the presentation night was a bit of a shambles with AFLQ not inviting some of the winners to actually attend.

For example, a young bloke in our team came runner-up in Ressies B&F and wasn't there.

Anyone attend and have a review?

DUCEP

Draftee
Sep 11, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
i went along to the night , aflq tried to fit too many leagues and awards into the nite which made it a bit of a joke , cause like 8 ppl won a league medal and kinda got rushed off without getting spoken to in front of anyone just a photo and off ya go. only wisey n faulks got to say anything . the vote counts were in 5 round lots

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
People on the night didn't know either BOC except for the last 3 rounds i think it was were counted out. Just don't think it matters and we can sit here and crap on about "who would complain" but you could nearly guarantee someone would and esp in those games where club umps were present.

Ducep - kinda agree but thought it was still a good night. All done and dusted by 930pm so 2.5 hrs. Think a comment by each of the A gr B&F winners would have been reasonable, not just the 2 conference winners.
Swoop - only invitees were the winners at 2's level i would suggest. A couple more from the A grade sides. Same with Colts. Each club had 10 tickets - can't really put too many into that group when coaches / presidents etc are also attending.

My change might be that the Nth / South conference combines with the QAFL one but bc this is the Grogan they probably don't want to take away too much from it.

NOCLUE

Senior List
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
It does sound stupid but then again... Who are we talking about here? Apparently the presentation night was a bit of a shambles with AFLQ not inviting some of the winners to actually attend.

For example, a young bloke in our team came runner-up in Ressies B&F and wasn't there.

Anyone attend and have a review?

When the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and their Partners go that's 8 tickets and as an afterthought asked the senior and reserve coaches that' 10. No room for players, and I thought the awards nite was about the players not the committee. I guess I was wrong
That's only what I heard it maybe incorrect You would be better able to find out

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You might have a word to your committee about that Noclue - sounds fairly ordinary. No partners at our table and the pres did go but was the only member of the admin that did so. Table full of players and coaches + the club property steward who practically lives at the club and does the job for nothing.

NOCLUE

Senior List
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You might have a word to your committee about that Noclue - sounds fairly ordinary. No partners at our table and the pres did go but was the only member of the admin that did so. Table full of players and coaches + the club property steward who practically lives at the club and does the job for nothing.

It was only what I heard. Don't know if it's correct or not, Only those at the club could would know truth of it.
But as you said should only be the Pres to represent the committee, the 2 coaches and the rest players.

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Congrats to Kenmore, pretty much underrated all year yet quietly gone about their business and got the job done. Well coached and with a respectful and disciplined playing group, they are a fair chance of meeting Springwood in the GF, particularly after watching what the Pumas did to Burleigh today.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kenmore have timed their run very nicely.

They had good early year form to establish where they were at, then went on a slow and methodical burn in the back half of the year.

Plenty (including me) felt Yeronga's hot form in the back half of the year was going to be the only challenger to Springwood, but Kenmore have now knocked them off, and also the only side to beat Springwood.

Disappointing result for the Roos, out in straight sets after last years debacle. Hope they haven't missed their window with Fults still able to influence games.

BrotherofChunk

All Australian
Jun 19, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
oh look Kenmore were good no taking that away from them but our boys were cooked - rolled the dice with a cpl of injuries that backfired but thats the nature of elimination finals. Congrats to fults who has officially hung them up for the 6th time i think. To finish on 95 goals and over 1000 is a great acheivement and he has been great for robina.

big shout out to the kenmore reserves guys who brought there own full strength beers and left all the empties on the hill :)

WOW werent springwood impressive in what they did to burleigh - GF day is a different beast but would be hard pressed to find a comp where a team has won the second semi by 100+ and been rolled in the GF.

this weekend will be a cracker - burleigh v kenmore at yeronga.

Kings making a move at the right time of the 2's as well - springwood v kings will be great viewing and hopefully scores are tied at the end of full time and they go to triple extra time where both teams can only field 16 fit players after succumbing to the 45 degree heat and injuries after a bruising encounter! (tongue firmly in cheek)

Best case result for yeronga outside them having their teams in the games is having a team from 4 different clubs playing - would think rabbit would be rubbing his hands together!

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
oh look Kenmore were good no taking that away from them but our boys were cooked - rolled the dice with a cpl of injuries that backfired but thats the nature of elimination finals. Congrats to fults who has officially hung them up for the 6th time i think. To finish on 95 goals and over 1000 is a great acheivement and he has been great for robina.

big shout out to the kenmore reserves guys who brought there own full strength beers and left all the empties on the hill :)

WOW werent springwood impressive in what they did to burleigh - GF day is a different beast but would be hard pressed to find a comp where a team has won the second semi by 100+ and been rolled in the GF.

this weekend will be a cracker - burleigh v kenmore at yeronga.

Kings making a move at the right time of the 2's as well - springwood v kings will be great viewing and hopefully scores are tied at the end of full time and they go to triple extra time where both teams can only field 16 fit players after succumbing to the 45 degree heat and injuries after a bruising encounter! (tongue firmly in cheek)

Best case result for yeronga outside them having their teams in the games is having a team from 4 different clubs playing - would think rabbit would be rubbing his hands together!

Happens far too often I reckon - s**t practise (let alone illegal). Think if blokes want to do this then come to an arrangment with the bar that might have a carton at $50 (prob bought in bulk for $25) and its still less than $2.50 a can and everyone is happy. Bringing your own is not on.

BrotherofChunk

All Australian
Jun 19, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
In all fairness when informed the Kenmore president was very apologetic and did go up and speak to them I believe.

Not saying we are angel's as im sure the esky's have come off the bus before home time before!

should be a great contest between the bears and bombers reserve players in the sledging stakes - both teams very handy from over the fence!

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Happens far too often I reckon - s**t practise (let alone illegal). Think if blokes want to do this then come to an arrangment with the bar that might have a carton at $50 (prob bought in bulk for $25) and its still less than $2.50 a can and everyone is happy. Bringing your own is not on.

Bringing your own is bad enough, then not cleaning up after yourself is the nail in the coffin.

s**t blokes.

Swoopa09

All Australian
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Bringing your own is bad enough, then not cleaning up after yourself is the nail in the coffin.

s**t blokes.
Agree it is poor form. Luckily I only had to have a conversation with 1 team this year.

Unfortunately some blokes don't represent their club values 100% of the time, and I know that their president is a great bloke and would've reminded them of their responsibility to do the right thing.

Now, enough of this- where are the footy trips headed this year? Forget finals for a moment. There are more pressing issues to discuss.

BrotherofChunk

All Australian
Jun 19, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
swoopa weve got 15 blokes going to LA and Vegas and about 25 heading to the sunny coast. Same weekend I think - dare say none of the blokes going to sunny coast will be checking fb the days we are in vegas!

Swoopa09

All Australian
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
swoopa weve got 15 blokes going to LA and Vegas and about 25 heading to the sunny coast. Same weekend I think - dare say none of the blokes going to sunny coast will be checking fb the days we are in vegas!
I would assume you are correct. Although we did Sunshine Coast last year, and while it's no Vegas, there's plenty of fun (or trouble) to be had!

Back