Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like griffiths of the role players available this year, but I'd be holding fire this off-season and loading up in 2015 on cameron, Boyd, Tomlinson and Carlisle.

In the meantime id play roughie and jones forward next season with stringer and crameri as 3rd and 4th talls.

Don't think that's an option really, simply have to improve KP depth this year, do not need stars, but need some options as we saw this year we played Jones most of year and was hit and miss when he decided to show up but knew his spot was not up for grabs so could cruise along, and when they got fed up we had no KPF playing at all, well Redpath for a couple of weeks but we know that is no answer even as a stop gap. Casbolt would be ok, but certainly not for 500k, options create competition, competition creates a better Jones......hopefully.

One potential benefit of moving roughie forward, is that it makes trading wilbur just that little more palatable. If roughie plays forward/ruck, we're not relying on cordy to play plenty of footy.

Unless we landed Wright, that would keep Roughead out the back I think. Wright will pinch hit for Campbell. Unless we can play both Wright and Roughead in the goal square, we will have to find a few good defenders first though before he moves anywhere :p

Trading Will would guarantee us losing less games next year than this year or at best another treading water year.

Do you think fans will accept this again mate??

Obviously I won't but I don't think many others will like it either
If we can see it's the best thing for the club, then yep, fans will accept it.

Do you think fans would accept it if we panic and pay overs for spuds like Casboult (and we tried to with Dawes) and don't have the cash or trade chips to have a genuine crack at real talent down the road as a result?

If we can see it's the best thing for the club, then yep, fans will accept it.

Do you think fans would accept it if we panic and pay overs for spuds like Casboult (and we tried to with Dawes) and don't have the cash or trade chips to have a genuine crack at real talent down the road as a result?

I will not accept trading Will and losing more games next year mate

If we don't win 9/10 games he has to go no excuses or development blah blah

The curve must start to take an upwards slant, if this is what he is thinking he should have traded Will at the end of last year when he had double the value

And no one would have suggested that then coz it would have been moronic, some only suggest it now coz he had a poor year

I will make a prediction - if Will is traded Macca will be sack by the end of next year

The curve must start to take an upwards slant, if this is what he is thinking he should have traded Will at the end of last year when he had double the value

And no one would have suggested that then coz it would have been moronic, some only suggest it now coz he had a poor year

I will make a prediction - if Will is traded Macca will be sack by the end of next year
in fact, a lot of people suggested it and were told it wasn't ever going to happen in a million years by other posters
I'm sure list managers have a long memory and could see the upside especially in a successful team

wouldn't be against it for the right price if it was going to pay off in the long run

I for one would love Levi in our side, he's mobile and can take a grab and a handy second ruck. He rarely gets out marked and brings the ball to ground and would benefit ours smalls... I know many want a gun but hey who is this mythical creature and why the "F" would he come to us...

We need true key position size at both ends, not just height but size.... and we need it now..

in fact, a lot of people suggested it and were told it wasn't ever going to happen in a million years by other posters
I'm sure list managers have a long memory and could see the upside especially in a successful team

wouldn't be against it for the right price if it was going to pay off in the long run

You think our kids won't be effected by ANOTHER poor year mate?

Coz without Will that's a certainty

Agree that selling Cooney and Minson would be a very ballsy and dangerous move. We have so far seen nothing to suggest that Campbell and Cordy would be able to pick up Will's slack.

You think our kids won't be effected by ANOTHER poor year mate?

Coz without Will that's a certainty
Our club would know what would affect our lads, so if that was their decision
I would be fully behind it

Not saying we play Campbell/Cordy next year, definitely would need to seek out another ruck
but one that was younger, yet still ready to play next year

I for one would love Levi in our side, he's mobile and can take a grab and a handy second ruck. He rarely gets out marked and brings the ball to ground and would benefit ours smalls... I know many want a gun but hey who is this mythical creature and why the "F" would he come to us...

We need true key position size at both ends, not just height but size.... and we need it now..

Understand your thinking, but don't agree with execution. Maybe its a good thing Macca has two years left on his contract, hopefully we aren't pressured into making short term bad calls, which Casboult would be IMO.

I only post on the odd occasion, however, I have been reading this forum for the last 10 years..

I have it on incredibly good authority that Boyd will go around next year and will be retained. Make of it what you will, but I wouldn't bother about the speculating as to whether should keep him or not, he will be there start of pre season

I hope we are pushing hard to get some players from Melbourne, if Roos is dumb enough to part with someone like Colin Garland (which I think he is) we need to go for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd playing on ??? Ffs
I only post on the odd occasion, however, I have been reading this forum for the last 10 years..

I have it on incredibly good authority that Boyd will go around next year and will be retained. Make of it what you will, but I wouldn't bother about the speculating as to whether should keep him or not, he will be there start of pre season

I hope we are pushing hard to get some players from Melbourne, if Roos is dumb enough to part with someone like Colin Garland (which I think he is) we need to go for it.
I'd love Garland, but I thought he was going to Geelong? And I don't think Roos is dumb enough to part with Garland for a 2nd round pick, or a straight swap of Garland for Grant (for example), but stranger things have happened.

Have been watching virtually everyone on here moaning about our lack of kicking skills and talking about delisting poor kicks.

And now I see a number of people wanting to pay top dollar to recruit Casboult, one of the worst kicks in the league.

Suffice to say, I am so not keen on Casboult.

Now Griffiths can kick. Mitch Clark can kick. Reid, Boyd and Cameron can kick. Frawley is not a great kick but he kills Casboult.

I would like to think we aren't going to target spud kickers, surely not - no matter how bad our KP stocks are.

I'd love Garland, but I thought he was going to Geelong? And I don't think Roos is dumb enough to part with Garland for a 2nd round pick, or a straight swap of Garland for Grant (for example), but stranger things have happened.
Everyone's going to Geelong, apparently.

Must be tough for Melbourne supporters to deal with, Rivers and Frawley both being taken off them via FA.

I will vomit if we get Bellchambers. He is uselsss - Essendon fans everywhere will rejoice.
Don't know why so many people are keen to get rid of Minson.. stupid idea.
I repeat does the Cassboult highlight reel cut out when he drops the ball onto his foot?
The guy CAN' T KKICK!!'

HE IS A DECENT FIELD KICK AND CAN HOOF THE BALL JUST LIKE CLOKE (he's no Tony Shaw!) - it's just that he can't kick the ball through the big sticks for some reason (terrible in fact), particularly so with set-shots, even in close - poor accuracy borne of poor technique (high ball drop and alignment of hips) and self-doubt are his real problems; great contested mark and a big wrecking ball of a man otherwise.

My question is, where does he take these marks and how often does he take them? He doesn't seem to kick many goals, so maybe they are more up field and he doesn't take them where it matters most? Sounds exactly like Jones. We need a contested marking forward that is consistent, and is the 50-70 goal a year type. He is no where near that, and will essentially be adding another Jones, without any further upsides. Once he starts clunking those marks in the goal square, and kicking a couple a game with bags of 4-5 now and then, then we shall talk about a deal :)

Are we all really that desperate for a key forward, that we are willing to waste draft picks on ones who have done nothing? Even Reid has done little as a forward, both when with two gun KPF around him, and also when he was the primary KPF. Big and available doesn't mean its a must. Would rather take an unproven draftee than one that still hasn't proven themselves in many games

Has been taking a lot of marks upfield on the wing and half-back. If he could kick set shots for goal like Schultz, Tony Lockett (or Fev) he'd be an absolute superstar: ball always seems to swing right or left for some reason when heading for the big sticks. Have my doubts re Carlton's skill development coaching though - issue with Casboult has been there for several years and I hoped he would have improved in a similar way to Carrazzo who would get heaps of the ball but butchered it a lot - Carrazzo however turned things around big time in a year or two with his disposal - not to be with Big Cas.

HE IS A DECENT FIELD KICK AND CAN HOOF THE BALL JUST LIKE CLOKE (he's no Tony Shaw!) - it's just that he can't kick the ball through the big sticks for some reason (terrible in fact), particularly so with set-shots, even in close - poor accuracy borne of poor technique (high ball drop and alignment of hips) and self-doubt are his real problems; great contested mark and a big wrecking ball of a man otherwise.

Thanks for the info mate.

Sounds like he could make a good around the ground marking first ruck?

Currently if we were to have on of them I'd still take dawes, particularly as we need a get out option who works hard down the line (I think Casboult is better played closer to goal). Particularly as he would just get in Stringer's way.

He plays very well operating between HB and HF - he's a decent field kick accuracy wise and can kick for distance, and obviously he just clunks the ball in his big hands and busts packs. He's 24 now and I don't know if his kicking for goal can be improved (confounding really - in the same basket as Cloke - is it mental and/or biomechanical/technique - we can split the atom but we can't fix a bloke's kicking!). Don't want to lose Cas as he "still has a bit more potential", is a big solid man and a bit of a cult figure at CFC, but if he wants $500K Mick is going to say no!

Thanks for the info mate.

Sounds like he could make a good around the ground marking first ruck?

Agree - but second ruck! AFL over the years has been littered with potentially great players who have a fatal flaw! Clubs need to place a lot more emphasis on skills development (biomechanics) and mental development a lot more - sports science needs to rigorously focus on these areas moreso than quick-fix "supplements"! Have watched Jones at the Bulldogs and have seen enough glimpses over the years to think - this guy could really be something - thing is, he isn't and time is running out. Jones is certainly athletic, but would rather have Casboult than Jones at this stage overall - that said, both might just be fatally flawed (terminally?) one way or another!

I must say it annoys me a little that people last year were so determined not to trade Minson, but now they can't get rid of him fast enough.

He was every bit as valuable to us in 2014 as he was in 2013. The only difference was he had a down year. But he still carried the team in the stoppages. Neither Campbell nor Cordy are even close to taking over. So the cost of losing Minson is the same this year as last year. The only difference is last year we could have received MUCH more in the trade.

Last year I thought he was worth moving on in a bid to secure that tall forward. But this year i can't see us getting more than a pick in the 20s for him, if we're lucky. And I don't think the cost of losing Minson is worth that.

What happened to buy cheap, sell high?

Minson in aa form 8 games
Minson in poor form 7 games
Should have traded him when he's ceiling was at its pointy end.
Missed a trick there. The fact is he has had a poor year and we've won 7 games
Go time now for Ayce and Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back