2014 Academy/Father-son Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't we already nominated them? It's now whether or not we match any of the bids.

We've only nominated our 'interest' in potentially drafting them. Actual nominations occur on October 3, with the bidding on October 6.
Is my memory correct in that the final nominations aren't published but the bidding results are? ie We'll have to wait until Oct 6 to know the final list of academy players the club's interested in (and successful or otherwise in snagging).

Is my memory correct in that the final nominations aren't published but the bidding results are? ie We'll have to wait until Oct 6 to know the final list of academy players the club's interested in (and successful or otherwise in snagging).

Last year, it was announced Freeman was nominated for bidding by us on October 4.

The Brisbane Lions have made official their intention of selecting Hyundai Lions Academy member Jonathan Freeman at the 2013 National Draft by lodging an official bidding nomination with the AFL before Friday’s 2pm deadline.

Although the Lions now have priority access to selecting Freeman at next month’s Draft, there is still no guarantee that he will end up at the Club.

All other clubs will have an opportunity to trump the Lions for Freeman’s services when they convene for the Father/Son and Academy bidding meeting next Monday morning.

We then committed to him on October 7 after the bidding. So it seems like we find out who's nominated, then there's a few nervous days wait until bidding occurs.

fantastic to have footy back on grand final morning. I remember as a kid waking up at 8am and watching U19's into Reserves into Seniors all day.

I guess its underagers and interstaters because the Victorian kids are potentially playing in the TAC Cup grand final that week?

She is pretty emphatic about it so my feel is that it is genuine. Would I be correct in thinking that Emma has earned a degree of respect in the football world and consequently is fed bits and pieces of info like this that the hacks aren't.

She is pretty emphatic about it so my feel is that it is genuine. Would I be correct in thinking that Emma has earned a degree of respect in the football world and consequently is fed bits and pieces of info like this that the hacks aren't.
Would be a fair assumption. Not sure how much she "is fed", but certainly not one of your "hacks" and thinks for herself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much the case.

If the club thinks Hammelman, Andrews or Uebergang are talented enough, they'll nominate them regardless of the other KPP on our list.

From my experience Emma is probably the afl journalist with the most credibility, especially when it comes to drafting. She's an actual journalist, unlike some of those other hacks who write tripe most of the time *cough* Jon Ralph *cough*.

She released a really insightful article about Squizzy last year before he was drafted. Was a really interesting read, and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

I am not a big fan or Eubergang, personally. Something about him, not sure. I like Hammelmann, l haven't seen Andrew but he could be out Macguire replacement.

Good sound reasoning. I'm guessing you have never seen him actually play, am I right?

Callum Twomey views this morning (AFL podcast):

• Dawson is either a late 1st to 2nd round talent
  • Clayton & Hammelmann 3rd round
With Andrews, he said it could go various ways as there are certain clubs that rate him very highly as a tall defender which makes him a more sought out commodity than say a midfielder of which there are plenty of.

RE. Roos; he wasn't sure if we'd take him (and sounded like he didn't rate him all that highly).

Dawson running off the half back line makes me wet. Definite upgrade on Harwood in my opinion.

Dawson running off the half back line makes me wet. Definite upgrade on Harwood in my opinion.

I suggest Dawson's clanger count would be higher than Harwood's when he has played in defence this year. He had 3 on the weekend for instance and whenever I have seen him play there are plenty of missed targets at the back.

Personally I think he works a lot better and with more class up forward.

I suggest Dawson's clanger count would be higher than Harwood's when he has played in defence this year. He had 3 on the weekend for instance and whenever I have seen him play there are plenty of missed targets at the back.

Personally I think he works a lot better and with more class up forward.
+1. I've joined you on this one Quigley. At this stage he is a forward..excellent hands above his head, doesn't fumble and works hard to the right spots.

Long term I'd like to see him developed as a midfield/forward, Mitch Duncan is the style of player I'd liken him too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back