Sports betting advertising

What is your opinion about sports betting advertising?

• Don't care

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • I want less of it - its not a good thing

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay from my knowledge I believe you're about 18-19 years of age. How often do you bet, is it a weekly thing? What made you "start betting"? I might put on one bet every six months but never make a habit of it (probably because I've never won). Did turning 18 make betting feel like a rite of passage for you? Genuinely interested.
18 and bet weekly, but that will probably slow now that the AFL season is coming to a close. One or two serious bets a week, and then a couple of exotics with only 50 cents or so.

To be honest, my mates probably sent me down the path. Seemed like a bit of fun, and good way to earn a bit of change on the side of work while also creating interest in games I probably didn't care for beforehand.

It kind of did feel like a rite of passage. Most of my mates betting were underage and I just decided once hitting 18 I decided to give it a go, much like I did with other things when I turned 18.

I will give up betting the day I start letting it control my weekends or my life in general. Like I said, betting advertising had zero impact on me deciding to bet and it's the same with most of my mates.

One of the more important questions to ask is was it a good idea to privatise TAB? Should the Sportsbet, 365s, Ladbrokes etc be able to operate in an unregulated manor?

Should gambling be owned by government?

Easier to do in "the lucky country" than any other on earth. May go some way to explain the fact that we have the highest per capita gambling losses in the known universe
Only country in the world that otherwise allows betting that you can't sports bet online in play

Thread screams of "I don't like it thus ban it" 21st century Aussie wowserism

Where has anybody suggested banning it? I think that a conversation about the pervasivness of gambling ads and culture in Australia is a reasonable one to be had.
Personally I think the amount of sports betting advertising out there is atrocious. I'd like to see it completely banned cos betting does no good for society,

One person does not a thread make. Over time we have seen restrictions placed on alcohol and tobacco advertising because like gambling they can have a negative impact on society overall. Banning gambling would be a ridiculous idea because it would just drive the whole game underground but I think it's fair that we have a lok at how the gambling industry is selling it's product and to whom they are selling it.

I will give up betting the day I start letting it control my weekends or my life in general. Like I said, betting advertising had zero impact on me deciding to bet and it's the same with most of my mates.
Isn't this a bit like saying you'll stop smoking when you get addicted?

But of course, that's the industry. That's how that little pencil net rat Waterhouse makes his money – by manipulating and taking money away from the people who can't afford it, for whatever reason. Trading off illness is heinous. If you saw someone knowingly offer a recovering alcoholic a drink, you'd rightfully see that as pretty s**t act. How are these pricks any different?

While I think a conversation about excessive betting advertising is a reasonable one to have, advertising on media like Tom does is hardly akin to someone offering an alcoholic drink to a known recovering alcoholic on the street.

Wouldn't mind so much if corporates weren't such scum in regards to limiting winners. Even long time losers on a heater getting capped ffs.

The ads' can go for all I care, they offer nothing regular punters aren't already aware of. Would be nice if those who don't bet had a clue what they were talking about though...

Personally I think the amount of alcohol advertising out there is atrocious. I'd like to see it completely banned cos drinking does no good for society, and promoting in various forums which are exposed to the young and vulnerable is a disgrace. Probably an unpopular opinion but meh. I hate it.

I cant believe in this day and age its so rife.

OP is a complete and utter joke - alcohol does just as much if not more damage but its ok because its an Aussie thing to get pissed every weekend. As a non drinker I find it disgusting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't care.

People are always happy to take shots at marijuana, betting, domestic violence etc yet society always ignores the biggest issue in society, the cause of many issues, alcohol.

Alcohol advertising should be banned before betting advertising is. Alcohol is far more damaging in this country. Yet the alcohol industry seems to get a free pass. Talk about double standards.

Unfair also to those who want to have a punt and find out about the latest odds. I've just started betting myself and I can tell you the ads had no influence on me betting. I have always ignored them. My mates were a bigger influence.

More focus overall in this world should be on educating young people on how to avoid getting sucked in by advertising.

Absolutely nailed it.

I reckon I started punting 15-16, not because of advertising more due to mates and the culture of the school. Betted more often when I was 17-18 then I do now, I might put on a few multis here and there including Brownlow night a few flutters on GF Day and whenever a group of us are at the pub and a fair bit during Spring Carnival.
I know a few blokes who've gone to Gambler's Help, primarily due to phone gambling.

don't have a problem with betting, nor alcohol, nor advertising for either. as long as people are making informed choices, then it's their right to decide what they do with their money.

though i agree gambling advertising is excessive, and is annoying.

people should be looking to the legislature rather than the bookies themselves if they want this changed though. it's legal, so who can blame bookies for acting in their own self interest.

I have thought many times about gambling (hypotheticals etc.) but have never actually done it. I found that the best way to regulate it is by not getting an online account at all – meaning that it is actually an inconvenience to put on a bet (drive 5 minutes to go to the TAB, use the machine, have to drive back to claim any winnings etc.)

I would say I bet fairly regularly. I see it as an entertainment factor, I can spend $50 going to an event for 2 hours or I can spend $50 on the punt for two hours. It's usually when I'm having a few beers at the pub with mates. I certainly don't expect to make money off it but treat it as a bit of fun with the odd chance of winning.

Will admit though the levels of advertising seems to have skyrocketed lately. Can see how it would drag people into doing more than they can handle.

I have thought many times about gambling (hypotheticals etc.) but have never actually done it. I found that the best way to regulate it is by not getting an online account at all – meaning that it is actually an inconvenience to put on a bet (drive 5 minutes to go to the TAB, use the machine, have to drive back to claim any winnings etc.)
Agreed online accounts are dangerous. I have enough self control to rarely use mine unless I could easily have access to a TAB machine but I can see how some people would bet purely out of boredom at home.

Personally I think the amount of alcohol advertising out there is atrocious. I'd like to see it completely banned cos drinking does no good for society, and promoting in various forums which are exposed to the young and vulnerable is a disgrace. Probably an unpopular opinion but meh. I hate it.

I cant believe in this day and age its so rife.

OP is a complete and utter joke - alcohol does just as much if not more damage but its ok because its an Aussie thing to get pissed every weekend. As a non drinker I find it disgusting.

Who said I didn't have a similar opinion on alcohol advertising? Jesus!

It's way too common. Anyone who listens to SEN will see the ridiculous of having dedicated segments where 'Dr Turf' picks all the horses he reckons are worth a punt and then every second ad break they have a advertisement for some gamblers helpline.

It's way too common. Anyone who listens to SEN will see the ridiculous of having dedicated segments where 'Dr Turf' picks all the horses he reckons are worth a punt and then every second ad break they have a advertisement for some gamblers helpline.

FFS it's a horse racing part of the program.

It's equally as hypocritical as covering news stories of players playing up when drunk and then having adds for pubs and/or hotels.

Back