Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waaah, Hamo doesn't like the answers he's given, so now takes more pot shots at us. I thought he twisted around what Bluey was saying there, having watching the presser myself. Hamo asks a question, Bluey answers. Then Hamo who was looking for a headline doesn't get the answer he wants, gets upset and thinks he's picking a fight. :/

I'm trying to find a link to an article, but Karmichael Hunt has said on this mornings Grill Team that AFL is the greatest sport he has ever played.

This is AFTER he has left our code and has no real responsibility to promote the game. In fact if anything you would think he would be promoting rugby . . .

Interesting

What would you like him to say?
I took it upon myself to endure the round 23 presser, and he's again blaming everything on young players and lack of contested footy (for the 5th week in a row). Watch a presser after GWS, Carlton, Freo, Bulldogs, North Melb loss and see the difference. From a different perspective, perhaps Bluey is just crap at public speaking and can't get his point across.

Against the Bullies in Cairns, it was 50/50 until late in the game when they won comfortably. Same with the games against Essendon, Port, and West Coast yesterday. There's something more going on. I do agree with him in that a 25% improvement in any business is something to look fondly at, however, and he obviously feels the same way, the 2nd half of the season drop off that the Suns had is extremely poor and pretty embarrassing. Great for the team overall though - to play without Gaz to improve their own skills without the best player in the game helping them out on field.

Last edited:

Craig Hutchinson thinks the Suns should sack McKenna now and sign Mark Thompson.
I don't see that happening.
i never usually agree with anything Craig Hutchinson says but I would love to see bomber thompson at the suns.
although Don't know if Gaz ablett would like it. image.jpg

i never usually agree with anything Craig Hutchinson says but I would love to see bomber thompson at the suns.
although Don't know if Gaz ablett would like it. View attachment 77226
I would like him as well but not at the expense of Mckenna he has been their since the start and deserves to be their until we go backwards.

If we don't make Finals next year, it becomes impossible to argue why he should stay. I love Bluey, but that's the reality of the job.

As for Bomber, that's the sort of Coach we should get if we do not re sign Bluey. One very experienced.

I know I'm probably in the minority but if you could choose between Bomber (2 time experienced premiership winning coach) and Bluey. Would you honestly choose Bluey?

I'm not saying this to start an argument but I really hope that next year is Blueys last year of coaching us.

I choose Bluey. We have not gone backwards in any year. The playing list will be used to him and his game plans and structure. Changing coaches now for a such a young list would be starting them off again from square one

Would be happy to pick someone up as an assistant though

I know I'm probably in the minority but if you could choose between Bomber (2 time experienced premiership winning coach) and Bluey. Would you honestly choose Bluey?

I'm not saying this to start an argument but I really hope that next year is Blueys last year of coaching us.
I'd choose Bomber.

Probably biased because Bluey is irking me at the moment, but I think Bomber is hilarious and has definite talent and skill. So does Bluey, but I find Bomber more likeable.

I choose Bluey. We have not gone backwards in any year. The playing list will be used to him and his game plans and structure. Changing coaches now for a such a young list would be starting them off again from square one

Would be happy to pick someone up as an assistant though
I completely agree being in such a unique situation Bluey needs to be their until we have great success or we fall by alot.

I completely agree being in such a unique situation Bluey needs to be their until we have great success or we fall by alot.

Not even by a lot. If we take any step backwards then by all means start calling for replacements.

But 2014 is a fantastic example of a team being as badly decimated by injury as could be still going forward in almost every area.

Not even by a lot. If we take any step backwards then by all means start calling for replacements.

But 2014 is a fantastic example of a team being as badly decimated by injury as could be still going forward in almost every area.
Too many people are just focusing on our second half of the year and forgetting how well we played in those early rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we were indeed basically destroyed by injuries after the Collingwood clash, I wouldn't necessarily say we've gone forward by merely beating the Saints. In some games we held our own to some extent, but rarely did we really perform to our full potential - the same potential we saw from the guys in the first 15 rounds. If we hadn't had such a decent 1/2 season at the start, we'd be in the bottom 4. It's that first 1/2 of the season that's got us all so hopeful for 2015. However...

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

But what if we were not hit by injuries. Would we be top 4?

We can't play what ifs in this competition. It is what it is. By the end of the season we were fielding 22 players who combined were breaking records for the youngest team to ever play in the elite league.

In a sick way, the injuries could be a blessing in disguise. Gives some of the boys who otherwise would not have had a game or a run through the midfield a taste of what it's like and what it takes to compete at the top level. Hopefully that will spur them on to add an extra 20% effort and commitment into their pre season and bring that in to 2015.

I called it on thursday or Friday in the thread.. 'Season over.. Foundations are setting'
Should chase bomber hard as an assistant..
Double premiership coach.. Doesn't Supposably want to be senior coach.. He can just sit back n pull strings and point bluey in the right direction...
Geelongs development took off about the time they hired him too..
Had all late first round draft picks yet turned every player they drafted in, into jets!! So he must be good 1 on 1 with the youth..
They haven't missed the 8 since he started the dynasty.. Chris Scott just walked in..didn't touch/change anything. And everything was set up for him by bomber.. And ends up winning the premiership first up!

Geelongs development took off about the time they hired him too..

They haven't missed the 8 since he started the dynasty.. Chris Scott just walked in..didn't touch/change anything. And everything was set up for him by bomber.. And ends up winning the premiership first up!

He was hired as Geelong coach around 2000/01 IIRC. He was almost fired in 2006 as a result of a few years of inconsistent showings from the club. Most of the Geelong fans wanted him gone and a board meeting was called to decide his fate and to the amazement of most he was backed in to stay on as coach

Then 2007 happened. His young team come of age and the rest is history.

I see Guy McKenna following a very similar path

"Bomber is better" Hutchy
"If you can get better go and get better" Hutchy
"Are they (Gold Coast Suns) a ruthless football club ?" Gary Lyon
"No there not that is exactly what they are not they have been the opposite" Caro
"A harder club would do it now" Hutchy

"Bomber is better" Hutchy
"If you can get better go and get better" Hutchy
"Are they (Gold Coast Suns) a ruthless football club ?" Gary Lyon
"No there not that is exactly what they are not they have been the opposite" Caro
"A harder club would do it now" Hutchy

Once again, EXACTLY the same questions were being asked of Geelong and Thompson in 05/06 and to a lesser extent Hawthorn around the same time

No drastic quick fix options were taken, both clubs continued with their PROGRESSIVE always moving FORWARD development

Seems to have worked well for them

Geelong-celebrates-5678200.jpg

Hawthorn-Premiers2008.jpg

Once again, EXACTLY the same questions were being asked of Geelong and Thompson in 05/06 and to a lesser extent Hawthorn around the same time

No drastic quick fix options were taken, both clubs continued with their PROGRESSIVE always moving FORWARD development

Seems to have worked well for them

Hawthorn-Premiers2008.jpg
Hawthorn
2002 : 10th
2003 : 9th
2004 : 15th

Clarkson hired
rebuilding phase
delists older players and instill a youth policy

2005 : 14th
2006 : 11th
2007 : 5th
2008 : Premiers

Hawthorn
2002 : 10th
2003 : 9th
2004 : 15th

Clarkson hired
rebuilding phase
delists older players and instill a youth policy

2005 : 14th
2006 : 11th
2007 : 5th
2008 : Premiers

Thanks for helping to prove my point :) This is not much different to where the SUNS are at. Only difference is the rebuild was from practically scratch (75% or so teenagers, just with more talent) which puts us about 2 seasons behind compared to where Hawthorn were when Clarko was hired.

Got any stats to help back up my Geelong theory too?

Thanks for helping to prove my point :) This is not much different to where the SUNS are at. Only difference is the rebuild was from practically scratch (75% or so teenagers, just with more talent) which puts us about 2 seasons behind compared to where Hawthorn were when Clarko was hired.

Got any stats to help back up my Geelong theory too?
What was the catalyst of the Hawks success ???
The Board fired the coach
Stop using other teams successes and other peoples opinions to prove your own point.

What was the catalyst of the Hawks success ???
The Board fired the coach
Stop using other teams successes and other peoples opinions to prove your own point.

The catalyst was getting a young coach with limited experience linked with a young team with desire and talent and watching them not take a backwards step all the way to a flag

I think the examples of Clarkson and Bomber are great when you put into perspective that Bluey hasn't gone backwards (yet), and we're continually improving. As critical as I am of Bluey, he could very well be a sought-after coach ala Lyon, Bomber, Clarkson in a few years if we keep improving. 2015 = top 6, 2016 = premiers? Who knows.

I think the examples of Clarkson and Bomber are great when you put into perspective that Bluey hasn't gone backwards (yet), and we're continually improving. As critical as I am of Bluey, he could very well be a sought-after coach ala Lyon, Bomber, Clarkson in a few years if we keep improving. 2015 = top 6, 2016 = premiers? Who knows.

To go with Bazza37 and a few others however, 2015 is critical. It needs to be the season with the biggest jump forward in results to keep his job (unless we have an injury struck year like this year). If it appears our top 4 window will not be open by 2016 then we should definitely be looking at our options.

If Bomber Thompson wants an assistant coach role in 2015 I will be happy to have him on board! Gives us a back up if stuff does go bad with Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back