Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You only get your photo taken with the Federal Treasurer when you have achieved something significant !!

I have already written (more than once but you seem to want to gloss over that fact) that there are multiple clubs enquiring about Casboult as a possible trade option.

Now go back and look up "supply & demand".

The Dogs aren't the only ones making enquiries about Casboult so the price just went up considerably.

Forget about the draft pick, we want a gun player in return for him, nothing less. Key forwards are in short supply right now so it is a sellers market, he is someone who plays every week with us so we want someone who will play every week for us.

It's Stringer or GTFO Doggies, don't forget, you just got rolled by the Giants and they are only going to get better too.

Now ...... Freo, Saints, Lions & Port, what are you offering ??

As if that will happen !!

Geelong come calling with $500K in their back-pocket and Carlton play hardball, Casboult then says don't worry about it fellas, I'll take my chances in the PSD ??

Yeah, sure he will.
So you are saying that Footscray, Freo, Saints, Lions, Port and Geelong are all interested in Cas.

Then in response to this:
he is worth not a cent more than 375k imo

You replied:
That's about $75K more than I would be giving him.

suggesting you don't think he is worth the $500k the Dogs have reportedly offered him (and presumably the other clubs you mentioned but didn't attach a value to).

If that's the case, then where is Carlton's incentive to match the offer the Dogs / Cats / whoever put to Levi? If the club is of similar mind as you and don't see Cas as a $500k pa player then where exactly is Carlton's upper hand? We only have one if these clubs have later picks in the draft than us and are an equally attractive destination for Cas (money, contract length etc). I wonder what the salary cap space is like at Geelong or Freo? No doubt tighter than Port's, but do the Power have such a pressing need for a R/F as the Dog's do?

Look at the Bulldogs. If they can tempt Cas with the highest offer and promises of a starting berth in the best 22 then we would have no leverage. Neither would any of the other clubs. Our outrageous demands of "Stringer or GTFO" would be rightfully laughed off in our face. Why would they offer a player who is 10x the player Cas could be - and be crucified by their own supporters for doing so - when they could just come to an agreement with the uncontracted Levi and pick him in the PSD. Lions and Saints are in an even better boat.

As much as I think Tex was a great HB, I love forward Tex. Great set shot too.

Me too! As you say, Back Tex was okay, but Forward Tex ... that's the Tex we love! The two Tex's should never be allowed to come into contact with each other, though, or worlds will collide! A Tex divided against itself, cannot stand ....

Yes Josh has been good for West Coast but out of the 61 goals he kicked this year only 11 were against top 8 teams.

Getting a bit of a reputation as a flat track bully.
Would have been very handy a few times this season then. May have avoided losing three times to the bottom side.:(

So you are saying that Footscray, Freo, Saints, Lions, Port and Geelong are all interested in Cas.

Then in response to this:

You replied:

suggesting you don't think he is worth the $500k the Dogs have reportedly offered him (and presumably the other clubs you mentioned but didn't attach a value to).

If that's the case, then where is Carlton's incentive to match the offer the Dogs / Cats / whoever put to Levi? If the club is of similar mind as you and don't see Cas as a $500k pa player then where exactly is ? We only have one if these clubs have later picks in the draft than us and are an equally attractive destination for Cas (money, contract length etc). I wonder what the salary cap space is like at Geelong or Freo? No doubt tighter than Port's, but do the Power have such a pressing need for a R/F as the Dog's do?

Look at the Bulldogs. If they can tempt Cas with the highest offer and promises of a starting berth in the best 22 then we would have no leverage. Neither would any of the other clubs. Our outrageous demands of "Stringer or GTFO" would be rightfully laughed off in our face. Why would they offer a player who is 10x the player Cas could be - and be crucified by their own supporters for doing so - when they could just come to an agreement with the uncontracted Levi and pick him in the PSD. Lions and Saints are in an even better boat.

You make some fair points Mezzaluna but I'm not with you on them.

Who said we should match the Dogs money and that there is an incentive for us to do so ?? I don't believe he is worth the money the Dogs are reportedly offering, hence the reason why I said $300K as a max.

Carlton's upper hand is that Casboult is a Blues player currently, not theirs. We don't have to trade him, we would only do it if the deal suits us. If he wants the big bucks from the Dogs, then we do the trade, failing that, he can take his chances in the PSD because there is no guarantee he will get to his preferred destination so both he and that club could miss out altogether.

Why would they offer a player who is 10x the player Cas could be - the question is why are they offering Casboult $500K if they don't rate him so highly and need him so badly ?? If you want to plonk that sort of cabbage in front of a player then you are elevating his overall worth & rating so you can't then have it both ways & say "but we'll only trade you a third-rounder for him".

The club that wants him the most will do a trade because there are no guarantees in a draft.

Ask yourself this, how much in need of a KPF are the Dogs right now ??

If you say 'desperate' then they are going to have to pay a decent price to get one. Other clubs are going to be making offers as well so even though you "nickel & dime negotiators" are not prepared to ask for more, I would be asking for a massive kick-back from them. If the Dogs won't pay it, one of the others will. On the odd chance that none of them will meet our reserve, then they will still be forced to give us more for him than what is being considered acceptable right now in this thread.
At pick 5 they can get Durdin, Goddard, McKenzie or maybe Wright

Cas will be good for them but I cant see them giving us stringer for him when they'll likeley get on in the draft as well

At pick 5 they can get Durdin, Goddard, McKenzie or maybe Wright

Cas will be good for them but I cant see them giving us stringer for him when they'll likeley get on in the draft as well

How many of those young lads are AFL senior ready right now though ??

Casboult has played seniors all season, is a huge lug and can take a hulking mark, bet those guys can't right now.

Casboult has played seniors all season, is a huge lug and can take a hulking mark, bet those guys can't right now.
I know Shiek but WBD arent really looking to win a flag next year. They want a group to develop aroudn the likes of stringer and bonts

Your kidding right?

Dogs arnt in the window right now. There is no way they are swapping a BMW or a Audi that they cant drive straight away for a 250cc Honda they can drive on their L's

Thoughts on Ben Howlett? (pending investigation).

Probably an upgrade on our taggers in terms of skills.
Love how Curnow stops a lot of his opponents, however his kicking kills us!

You make some fair points Mezzaluna but I'm not with you on them.

Who said we should match the Dogs money and that there is an incentive for us to do so ?? I don't believe he is worth the money the Dogs are reportedly offering, hence the reason why I said $300K as a max.

Carlton's upper hand is that Casboult is a Blues player currently, not theirs. We don't have to trade him, we would only do it if the deal suits us. If he wants the big bucks from the Dogs, then we do the trade, failing that, he can take his chances in the PSD because there is no guarantee he will get to his preferred destination so both he and that club could miss out altogether.

Why would they offer a player who is 10x the player Cas could be - the question is why are they offering Casboult $500K if they don't rate him so highly and need him so badly ?? If you want to plonk that sort of cabbage in front of a player then you are elevating his overall worth & rating so you can't then have it both ways & say "but we'll only trade you a third-rounder for him".

The club that wants him the most will do a trade because there are no guarantees in a draft.
Firstly, you misread my comment on Levi's perceived worth. I was asking you why you thought the club should match a hypothetical $500k pa offer if you think he's only worth just over half of that.

Secondly, you say Levi is a Carlton player and therefore we don't have to trade him if we don't like the deal tabled by another club. Well, techinically he'll soon be an uncontracted player but I get where you're coming from. Being uncontracted, he could simply walk if he was unhappy with our terms and the club would receive nothing (not that I think that will happen). That would be an unmitigated disaster and those responsible would be rightly pilloried. Cas would then be available for selection in the PSD to any of the four clubs with an earlier pick than the Dogs. There's risk for him there, no doubt, but he could attempt to discourage GWS, St Kilda, Brisbane and Melbourne by putting a big price tag in his head. I'm sure his manager would help spread the word, too. Wouldn't be the first time that happened either. From memory, that's how Luke Ball got to Collingwood.

Thirdly, on this $500k figure that's been bandied around. I don't see this amount as the yard stick we should be looking to base out potential trade with the Dogs on. We all seem to think he isn't worth that much and with the (distant) possibility that Cas could walk for nothing, we shouldn't be taking any pointers from Adrian Dodoro in our trading strategy. The way I see it, this supposed $500k offer from Footscray is a strategic move to lure Levi away from Carlton - the club he supported all of his life. They are offeeing overs and engaging with the uncontracted player rather than the club perhaps because they believe it will cost them less to do so. Demanding a Stringer type in return would seem to support this. I also can't see many other clubs that may have considered Cas either having the salary cap space to match that offer or the desire to fork out that much coin.

Personally, I'd like to see Levi stay but if he was to nominate the Dogs then I would take a second round pick and be happy with it as Footscray have very few players I'd consider a fair trade.

The only way Carlton can play hardball is if these other clubs you named actually matched or got close to Footscray's offer. But even then, the Dogs wouldn't offer Stringer. Never in a million years.

Last edited:
The only way Carlton can play hardball is if these other clubs you named actually matched or got close to Footscray's offer. But even then, the Dogs wouldn't offer Stringer. Never in a million years.

You don't know how negotiations work!!!

Clearly the Dogs are so desperate for a below average key forward that they will be all too pleased to offer one of their best young players.

:straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't know how negotiations work!!!

Clearly the Dogs are so desperate for a below average key forward that they will be all too pleased to offer one of their best young players.

:straining:
J, we all know if the shoe was on the foot we'd be handing Menz over in a heartbeat.

Pick 5 for pick 6 & Casboult? :D

I hear you blokes are into Bellchambers, you don't rate Levi?
The bloke is 24 and kicks like he's never seen a Sherrin in his life you'd think by now someone would have sorted it out. Great hands but not $500K with those obvious deficiencies.

The bloke is 24 and kicks like he's never seen a Sherrin in his life you'd think by now someone would have sorted it out. Great hands but not $500K with those obvious deficiencies.

You blokes are mentioned in the same breath as us when it comes to needing a key forward so it does seem strange that you would give one up

Do you think he's worth 500k?

Probably not, Dawes got $500k with more exposed form and a better kick

You blokes are mentioned in the same breath as us when it comes to needing a key forward so it does seem strange that you would give one up

Probably not, Dawes got $500k with more exposed form and a better kick
We do need a key forward but $500k is just too much of the salary cap being taken up by a 6/7 out of 10 key forward at best. If his agent can get him that money good on him, and if your coaches can finally teach him to kick it will be worth it for you. If not in the long run I think you'll be worse off not having that money to offer to your other promising kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back