Review 2014 Post Season Member Briefing (fan forum)

What did you think of the night?

• Didn't go :(

Votes: 56 78.9%
  • I was there, and I thought the club was open, honest, and did a commendable job

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • I was there, and I thought it was 'meh'

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I was there, and I thought it was all spin and propaganda

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thankyou.

Exactly why the entire night was a complete waste of time and nothing more than a PR stunt to get the naive supporter onside.

Newsflash: you are in the minority. Bucks will be the coach next year and beyond. Nothing you or anyone says in this forum will change that. Have fun beating your head against the wall.

Bucks was quite praiseful about Adams. Pretty much stated he was Ball's replacement and the "next" Luke Ball. Has leadership quality, and the gut run to get to contests (something Luke Ball couldn't do [and apparently requested to not be placed in the midfield in the second half of the season]).

While answering a question on the teams kicking efficiency in general, he went on about Adams and said that his kicking is actually quite good on the training track. But, with the side in general, because we've got a young team, it's difficult for some to translate that into a match, where you've got a crowd of 60,000 and a bloke is running at you. You can't simulate it in training.

Said that Adams needs to overcome that mental hurdle on match days.
It's a good comment, the way he kicks it, he has power and is hard and flat, it just seems to be miss targets. Definitely is that confidence and belief. Hopefully he builds on this season in 2015.

Bucks was quite praiseful about Adams. Pretty much stated he was Ball's replacement and the "next" Luke Ball. Has leadership quality, and the gut run to get to contests (something Luke Ball couldn't do [and apparently requested to not be placed in the midfield in the second half of the season]).

While answering a question on the teams kicking efficiency in general, he went on about Adams and said that his kicking is actually quite good on the training track. But, with the side in general, because we've got a young team, it's difficult for some to translate that into a match, where you've got a crowd of 60,000 and a bloke is running at you. You can't simulate it in training.

Said that Adams needs to overcome that mental hurdle on match days.

Further to this, the biggest crowd Adams played in front of during his tenure with the Giants was 32,691 (vs. Collingwood at the MCG, Round 18, 2013). Just 8 times did he play in front of crowds greater than 20,000, and 14 of his 31 games for them were in front of sub-10,000 crowds. When you're still adapting to everything else at AFL level, playing at a new club, new teammates, etc., having a sudden jump in the number of eyes being on you can just be another added mental pressure for a young bloke.

Can any attendee tell me if questions about our turnover opposition goal stats were asked.
Yes, it was.

Bucks broke our gameplan down into 4 categories
  1. Supporting the back 6
  2. Midfield T/O efficiency
  3. Forward 50 efficiency
  4. Back 50 efficiency
Apparently in 2013, we were quite high up in making the opposition turn it over, and scoring from it, while being able to defend our own turnovers. The only problem was that we had poor forward 50 and back 50 efficiency.

That was the aim for 2014.

And that was achieved for the first half, while I think in the 2nd half, we maintained a good Midfield T/O efficiency, but our forward and back 50 efficiency was deplorable. This may be wrong, maybe it was all bad, or the other way around. Memories a bit fuzzy there. Someone might be able to help out with that.

Further to this, the biggest crowd Adams played in front of during his tenure with the Giants was 32,691 (vs. Collingwood at the MCG, Round 18, 2013). Just 8 times did he play in front of crowds greater than 20,000, and 14 of his 31 games for them were in front of sub-10,000 crowds. When you're still adapting to everything else at AFL level, playing at a new club, new teammates, etc., having a sudden jump in the number of eyes being on you can just be another added mental pressure for a young bloke.
I know I've been a bit hazy in my responses (my memory can be pretty bad), but I am 100% sure, when quoting Bucks here, that he said Adams played at GWS in a crowd appearance of "five" :p

Sorry but it goes much deeper than just a few suggestions and constructive criticism.

My only frustration is supporters overlooking what has happened to our great club.
So obviously went to the forum and voiced your displeasure with what is happening to our great club

That's a good outlook you have on the world.
Just accept and move on.
Noice.

The world? I was talking about the situation at Collingwood. Bucks will not be moved on before his contract expires. You can bleat about it all you like, won't change anything.

Sorry but it goes much deeper than just a few suggestions and constructive criticism.

My only frustration is supporters overlooking what has happened to our great club.
So obviously went to the forum tonight and voiced your displeasure with what is happening to our great club?

Yes, it was.

Bucks broke our gameplan down into 4 categories
  1. Supporting the back 6
  2. Midfield T/O efficiency
  3. Forward 50 efficiency
  4. Back 50 efficiency
Apparently in 2013, we were quite high up in making the opposition turn it over, and scoring from it, while being able to defend our own turnovers. The only problem was that we had poor forward 50 and back 50 efficiency.

That was the aim for 2014.

And that was achieved for the first half, while I think in the 2nd half, we maintained a good Midfield T/O efficiency, but our forward and back 50 efficiency was deplorable. This may be wrong, maybe it was all bad, or the other way around. Memories a bit fuzzy there. Someone might be able to help out with that.

Good.
And did he talk of a plan to reverse the trend.
And I'm sure that there was a sure reason we had better rebound from our back 50 in 2013. I'm sure I remember....surely.

Newsflash: you are in the minority. Bucks will be the coach next year and beyond. Nothing you or anyone says in this forum will change that. Have fun beating your head against the wall.

Lol great outlook. Unfortunately it won't only be me but every collingwood supporter until the end of Buckley tenure. That includes you.

The world? I was talking about the situation at Collingwood. Bucks will not be moved on before his contract expires. You can bleat about it all you like, won't change anything.
Not sure anyone's "bleating" mate.
You seem to have the opinion that those who have justifiable criticism of our fall are only doing so to pump up their own tyres.
They don't.
But questions need to be asked and answered.
Mistakes have been made and should be admitted to.
And the members have that right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the meeting tonight, these are my notes off the top of my head on what I took away:
- Ed reckons the fixturing debacle this year will cost the club $1m;
- Ed wants the cheer squad to become more of an active supporter base (he didnt expand, but i think he means more soccer style chanting);
- Bucks acknowledges that our kicking is not good enough (ranked 17th) and will be a focus in 2015;
- Bucks reckons the game plan is simple, based on power running both ways. Only problem is the team is not fit enough to run offensively when we win the ball;
- Bucks thinks Swan is in his twlight years, which suggests we wont be seeing any major improvement in 2015;
- Bucks is comfortable in his decision to move on Luke Ball. Doesnt think we have a leadership void as many of the young players have stepped up as leaders. He was really impressed with Sidebottom, and also the emergence of Elliott, Williams and Adams;
- Bucks believes the club has under trained in 2015 (despite the soft tissue injuries), their will be a continue focus on power running in 2015;
- Bucks expections for 2015 is to be top 4 and contend;
- Bill Davoren suggests we have improved our running performance by 5% from last season, based on GPS data;
- Bill rated our preseason work as 6.5 out of 10;
- Bill acknowledges increase in soft tissue injuries in 2014 from 2013 and categorically states this club has a hamstring problem. He is seeking advice from universities, AIS as he has never in his career experienced something this bad;
- Bill mentioned that the old 3 week model of a hamstring recover doesnt apply anymore. MRI machines have got better and as a result, anything related to a tendon issue is treated with more caution, given the significant risk of these injuries recurring;
- Member Q & A about the recruitment of mature age players. Response from Derek Hine that these players did not cost much (either free through free agency or a draft pick higher than pick 40). The plan is for the first round picks are the main pieces to replace the departing players (Dawes, Wellingham, Thomas). The mature age players are just 'steak knifes' or depth players to support the younger players already on the list. He gave the example of Tony Armstrong was not recruited to play 22 AFL games this season;
- Member Q & A about the recruitment of short players. Derek answered this by suggested they are recruited for certain skill sets. Ben Kennedy was used as an example of the need for a small mid-forward to replace Didak. Derek also acknowledge that Kennedy has a major shortfall with regards to his fitness ( Would explain why he is always used as a sub);
- Member Q & A on why our club gives other clubs certain perks, example given Queens Birthday is a Melbourne home game and Port Adelaide will wear the prison bar jersey in their final. Ed answered this question by suggesting these 'favours' are made because it allows the club to bank a favour in return, being always playing 18 games in Melbourne, more games at MCG and other minor things such as allowing Maxwell to do a lap of honor in a Holden (a Collingwood sponsor, which infers that the club get some sort of kickback) as opposed to a Toyota, an AFL sponsor;
- Member Q & A on kickouts. Bucks acknowledges we move the ball far too slow and will need to look at who should do the role. He rates Keeffe as a good kick, but pulled him from duties late in the season, acknowledging his struggles;
- Member Q & A about emergency policy. Bucks says ideally he does not want to hold emergencies as a precausion on stand by. He sees more value in making sure they play in VFL;
- Member Q & A about why the club no longer does altitude training. Bill Davoren thinks we get the same benefit to the players blood levels by training in the heat than we would at altitude. Ed also suggests that their was a recent AFLPA change that the players get a mandatory 6 week off over Christmas and that the usual date in which the players were training at altitude is no longer feasible from a date point of view and also from a cost point of view of $500k;
- Member Q & A about players getting outside medical treatment, away from the club. Scott Pendlebury apparently does this. Bill Davoren answer for this is that it is on the table for discussion. (My thoughts are if Pendles is getting treatment elsewhere, he obviously doesnt put much stock in the club medical department);
- Member Q & A if exercise bikes are used as part of the training program (Implication that riding will shorten the hamstring). Bill Davoren replied that it is only used during preseason and not during the season;
- Member Q & A whether Goldsack is staying at the club. Bucks answer was an emphatic Yes. Doesnt know where these media stories are coming from, maybe Tyson's agent trying to drum up interest;
- Member Q & A on whether membership prices will remain frozen. Justin Reeves was non-committal on this saying that no decision has been made yet. The aim is too provide best value membership. Justin also acknowledge that the membership department read emails but dont reply to them (I find this quite damning, especially if you have a genunine query that needs answering);
- Member Q & A on what has happened to the cheersquad. Ed's reply that it will be seriously looked at fixing. He mentioned that their quite a few reserved seat holders in the bay where the cheersquad is or around that dont turn up. Communication will be made to people in these areas on whether they want to partcipate or get their seat re-assigned elsewhere;
- Member Q & A about the selection of Matt Scharenburg given the injuries known before the draft. Derek Hine answered that even today they would still select Scharenburg 100 times out of 100. Extensive work was done analysing his injuries that they are comfortable he will be a really good 10-12 year player at this club;

Last edited:
Thankyou.

Exactly why the entire night was a complete waste of time and nothing more than a PR stunt to get the naive supporter onside.

From what Ive heard you are totally right. Anybody ask about our gameplan? Poor skills? Players having poor seasons? Culture issues? Player rumbling past and present? etc etc.

This sounds like total spin to me.

Lol great outlook. Unfortunately it won't only be me but every collingwood supporter until the end of Buckley tenure. That includes you.
Won't be me either esco....I'll be enjoying watching the kids play
seriously, don't you ever enjoy watching the future take place?

A fan appeasing exercise turns out to be a tame excuse session, who woulda thunk it.

But I've heard enough of conflicting, deceptive and simply laughable messages coming out of the Club in recent years to pay any attention to it or get mad.
Words simply don't cut it anymore, it's time to produce the goods.

Spoke to Derek Hine tonight about broomy extending his contract with the pies for another 2 years and asked about Darcy Moore and got a very strong feeling from his comments that he doesn't think that other clubs below us rate him that high so let's wait and see.
Not surprising re Moore, even though I've warmed up to the idea of picking him up in the first round realistically he's always been more of a late first early second round pick.

Not surprising re Moore, even though I've warmed up to the idea of picking him up in the first round realistically he's always been more of a late first early second round pick.
He said his feelings were that other teams had him in the 5-15 mark which I found interesting.

I was at the meeting tonight, these are my notes off the top of my head on what I took away:
- Ed reckons the fixturing debacle this year will cost the club $1m;
- Ed wants the cheer squad to become more of an active supporter base (he didnt expand, but i think he means more soccer style chanting);
- Bucks acknowledges that our kicking is not good enough (ranked 17th) and will be a focus in 2015;
- Bucks reckons the game plan is simple, based on power running both ways. Only problem is the team is not fit enough to run offensively when we win the ball;
- Bucks thinks Swan is in his twight years, which suggests we wont be seeing any major improvement in 2015;
- Bucks is comfortable in his decision to move on Luke Ball. Doesnt think we have a leadership void as many of the young players have stepped up as leaders. He was really impressed with Sidebottom, and also the emergence of Elliott, Williams and Adams;
- Bucks believes the club has under trained in 2015 (despite the soft tissue injuries), their will be a continue focus on power running in 2015;
- Bucks expections for 2015 is to be top 4 and contend;
- Bill Davoren suggests we have improved our running performance by 5% from last season, based on GPS data;
- Bill rated our preseason work as 6.5 out of 10;
- Bill acknowledges increase in soft tissue injuries in 2014 from 2013 and categorically states this club has a hamstring problem. He is seeking advice from universities, AIS as he has never in his career experienced something this bad;
- Bill mentioned that the old 3 week model of a hamstring recover doesnt apply anymore. MRI machines have got better and as a result, anything related to a tendon issue is treated with more caution, given the significant risk of these injuries recurring;
- Member Q & A about the recruitment of mature age players. Response from Derek Hine that these players did not cost much (either free through free agency or a draft pick higher than pick 40). The plan is for the first round picks are the main pieces to replace the departing players (Dawes, Wellingham, Thomas). The mature age players are just 'steak knifes' or depth players to support the younger players already on the list. He gave the example of Tony Armstrong was not recruited to play 22 AFL games this season;
- Member Q & A about the recruitment of short players. Derek answered this by suggested they are recruited for certain skill sets. Ben Kennedy was used as an example of the need for a small mid-forward to replace Didak. Derek also acknowledge that Kennedy has a major shortfall with regards to his fitness ( Would explain why he is always used as a sub);
- Member Q & A on why our club gives other clubs certain perks, example given Queens Birthday is a Melbourne home game and Port Adelaide will wear the prison bar jersey in their final. Ed answered this question by suggesting these 'favours' are made because it allows the club to bank a favour in return, being always playing 18 games in Melbourne, more games at MCG and other minor things such as allowing Maxwell to do a lap of honor in a Holden (a Collingwood sponsor, which infers that the club get some sort of kickback) as opposed to a Toyota, an AFL sponsor;
- Member Q & A on kickouts. Bucks acknowledges we move the ball far too slow and will need to look at who should do the role. He rates Keeffe as a good kick, but pulled him ftom duties late in the season, acknowledging his struggles;
- Member Q & A about emergency policy. Bucks says ideally he does not want to hold emergencies as a precausion on stand by. He sees more value in making sure they play in VFL;
- Member Q & A about why the club no longer does altitude training. Bill Davoren thinks we get the same benefit to the players blood levels by training in the heat than we would at altitude. Ed also suggests that their was a recent AFLPA change that the players get a mandatory 6 week off over Christmas and that the usual date in which the players were training at altitude is no longer feasible from a date point of view and also from a cost point of view of $500k;
- Member Q & A about players getting outside medical treatment, away from the club. Scott Pendlebury apparently does this. Bill Davoren answer for this is that it is on the table for discussion. (My thoughts are if Pendles is getting treatment elsewhere, he obviously doesnt put much stock in the club medical department);
- Member Q & A if exercise bikes are used as part of the training program (Implication that riding will shorten the hamstring). Bill Davoren replied that it is only used during preseason and not during the season;
- Member Q & A whether Goldsack is staying at the club. Bucks answer was an emphatic Yes. Doesnt know where these media stories are coming from, maybe Tyson's agent trying to drum up interest;
- Member Q & A on whether membership prices will remain frozen. Justin Reeves was non-committal on this saying that no decision has been made yet. The aim is too provide best value membership. Justin also acknowledge that the membership department read emails but dont reply to them (I find this quite damning, especially if you have a genunine query that needs answering);
- Member Q & A on what has happened to the cheersquad. Ed's reply that it will be seriously looked at fixing. He mentioned that their quite a few reserved seat holders in the bay where the cheersquad is or around that dont turn up. Communication will be made to people in these areas on whether they want to partcipate or get their seat re-assigned elsewhere;
- Member Q & A about the selection of Matt Scharenburg given the injuries known before the draft. Derek Hine answered that even today they would still select Scharenburg 100 times out of 100. Extensive work was done analysing his injuries that they are comfortable he will be a really good 10-12 year player at this club;
Thank you very much, terrific write up.

One question I have is what was Bucks actual quote about being top 4 and contending, very curious about the internal expectations.

He said his feelings were that other teams had him in the 5-15 mark which I found interesting.
I'm confused now, didn't you say the other clubs don't rate him that high according to Decca?

Back