Preview AFL 2nd Qualifying Final - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, 7:50PM Friday 5 September

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy was placed in the middle in the last quarter.
He adds plenty of energy and extracted the ball in close very well
Could be a surprise packet for the finals.
If he is able to get extended game time he will replace GHS

He'll undoubtedly play more time on the ball as time goes on, but the last thing we need is to reduce the size of our midfield. We're too small there already.

After hearing CS on the couch I think he will play McIntosh as the main key forward alongside Hawkins and will use Blicavs and Walker as the mobile ruckman for 2 reasons. McIntosh will stretch the medium sized hawks defence more than brown and walker and also wont get exploited the other way by Ceglar and Hale. Both hawks ruckman are not giants so doubt they will smash walker and blicavs in the middle.

Walker concedes 5cm to Hale and 8cm to Ceglar, Blicavs is only 2cm taller than Walker.
Blicavs/Wallker may be able to spoil a lot of the Hale/Ceglar hitouts, as they did last week against Leuenberger, but there would still be a big margin in total hitouts - they will be smashed.
We already know Blicavs can't defend against Hale/Ceglar when they go forward; and Walker can't possibly do so, he is simply too short.
We know from last season what happens when you don't take your strongest ruck combo into finals, you get whacked.
What needs to happen is for McIntosh to go with them when they go forward, rather than just play the Stephen King style linkman role he's played in his last 2 games; hopefully the rest will have made him fit enough to do it.

Really hope Scott does more to address the second half fadeouts and issues like Hale running amok during the week than he does in front of the media. When he constantly says these things aren't a concern and acts as if they don't matter because of the W/L record, I become concerned that he's not doing anything to rectify them.

I also think he sounds a little silly when he voices his bemusement at the fact that Sydney and Hawthorn are talked up more than Geelong. I think that should be blatantly obvious to just about everyone, himself included. I sometimes fear that he is overconfident and overrates the group and the way it plays, without paying enough attention to the obvious flaws or the areas where the opposition are hurting us. That's the way it tends to come off in the media anyway.

Perhaps he's just very good at putting on a facade and his vehement denial of issues is only a view he holds in front of the media, but I find it very concerning.
It's a game within a game my friend. And I think he is pretty good at the media circus.

What needs to happen is for McIntosh to go with them when they go forward, rather than just play the Stephen King style linkman role he's played in his last 2 games; hopefully the rest will have made him fit enough to do it.
That's why he was managed I would think. Getting ready for a lot of running.

Really hope Scott does more to address the second half fadeouts and issues like Hale running amok during the week than he does in front of the media. When he constantly says these things aren't a concern and acts as if they don't matter because of the W/L record, I become concerned that he's not doing anything to rectify them.

I also think he sounds a little silly when he voices his bemusement at the fact that Sydney and Hawthorn are talked up more than Geelong. I think that should be blatantly obvious to just about everyone, himself included. I sometimes fear that he is overconfident and overrates the group and the way it plays, without paying enough attention to the obvious flaws or the areas where the opposition are hurting us. That's the way it tends to come off in the media anyway.

Perhaps he's just very good at putting on a facade and his vehement denial of issues is only a view he holds in front of the media, but I find it very concerning.

I like Scott's calm, cool reaction to both successes and failures, his free concession of the facts when we have problems and his acknowledgement that they need to be addressed.
I infinitely prefer his approach to that of the hysterical venting raving Chicken Little "the sky is falling" posts of some on here when there is any infinitesimal hiccup on the path to the premiership.

Would prefer McIntosh to be pushing into our forward line rather than following the hawks ruckman. Blicavs, Taylor, Lonergan, Rivers and a 3rd up Mackie should be enough to stop Hale.

People on here talk about Hale like he is Peter Moore or Simon Madden.

He'll undoubtedly play more time on the ball as time goes on, but the last thing we need is to reduce the size of our midfield. We're too small there already.

That's what I reckon, he's got all the attributes that make those others already mentioned so deadly up forward, and that's where we've lacked potency in the last few seasons.
It'd be great to have 'mighty mouse' flying for the ball annoying the heck out of the defence one minute, then cutting a swave through holes in the defence to slot a few goals the next. He could be that 'X' factor.

Last edited:
Would prefer McIntosh to be pushing into our forward line rather than following the hawks ruckman. Blicavs, Taylor, Lonergan, Rivers and a 3rd up Mackie should be enough to stop Hale.

They weren't enough to stop him last time, and, in fact, hardly ever have.
He's not Moore or Madden, but he has always averaged nearly 2 goals a game against us, more than they ever did.

Let him kick 2 and hope McIntosh can kick 3 the other way. Thats the Geelong way.

Hmm, "hope" is the right word, he's never kicked more than 1 for us even when playing CHF, and he's only kicked 3 thrice in 125 games.
It seems very unlikely to happen, but we can virtually guarantee that playing him at CHF will result in a certain smashing in the hitouts and certain goals from the opposition rucks.

It seems very unlikely to happen, but we can virtually guarantee that playing him at CHF will result in a certain smashing in the hitouts and certain goals from the opposition rucks.

Which will probably happen with him in there anyway.

However playing him forward will completely confuse the hawks defence, because he can take a mark and kick a goal. Hawkins will be the big winner of having Mcintosh in his area. This is 1 game i wish we had Simpson fit for.

However playing him forward will completely confuse the hawks defence, because he can take a mark and kick a goal. Hawkins will be the big winner of having Mcintosh in his area. This is 1 game i wish we had Simpson fit for.

We know that with McIntosh in there we'll at least keep their hitouts at a break-even point for 1/2 or 3/4 of the game, and that during this period he will, if so instructed, get back on them and compete with them in their F50 (unless the coaches tell him to stick withy the linkman role he's played in his last couple of games).
It would be handy, undoubtedly, to have Simpson working them over for his usual 1/2 game so that McIntosh/Blicavs can come over the top of them in the 2nd half, a system which worked well earlier this season. But it's not to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Brown do that , perhaps but I have hardly ever seen him take a mark that's not to his advantage or on the lead. He has his own attributes, he is a smarter player. That kick to Caddy (?) for instance. Hmac being our only ruck swings it for me

Sorry, remind me what Blicavs has been doing for the last 3 months again?

Ive psoted for a while that CS has something cooking on the kitchen… Just have NO clue as to what it is…. could be a September special ala Hawks game plan in the 08 GF or could be more of the same from the last 23 weeks.

Good game plan - lose every single stat that matters, and rely on the opposition butchering their chances in front of goal. Can't see it happening somehow.

Well 2 weeks ago he was in terrible form apparently, then waltzed out and kicked 3 goals against us. That's why anytime the phrase "he's not in good form" or anything similar scares me. They seem to find form against us.

After hearing CS on the couch I think he will play McIntosh as the main key forward alongside Hawkins and will use Blicavs and Walker as the mobile ruckman for 2 reasons. McIntosh will stretch the medium sized hawks defence more than brown and walker and also wont get exploited the other way by Ceglar and Hale. Both hawks ruckman are not giants so doubt they will smash walker and blicavs in the middle.

McIntosh might not get exploited by Ceglar and Hale, but he will get slaughtered by whoever his opponent is as soon as the ball hits the ground. He's even less mobile than Hawkins is.

I did notice McCarthy getting possession numerous times only to be tackled or held up from disposing, he was gaining possession in congested areas which I personally liked about what I saw.
I thought it robbed him of possibly as much as 5-6 disposals but his endeavour in close quarters will make him a very dangerous player in time especially around the goal mouth, similar to Balantyne and Puopillo. And he'll mix it in the Mid as well.
I think deciding between Thurlow and McCarthy is comparing Apples(that's not a pun) to Oranges. I see Thurlow as that running/marking link player perfect ute type.

No arguments here, the only reason they are being compared is that they are fighting for the 22nd spot in our team.

That's what I reckon, he's got all the attributes that make those others already mentioned so deadly up forward, and that's where we've lacked potency in the last few seasons.
It'd be great to have 'mighty mouse' flying for the ball annoying the heck out of the defence one minute, then cutting a swave through holes in the defence to slot a few goals. He could be that 'X' factor.

0 goals for all of 2014 so far.

Selection should be interesting. I'm definitely on the Brown side of the Brown/Walker debate. We need somebody who can be dangerous by dragging Gibson away from hawkins and that's Brown's strength. His movement is very good and letting him operate between 40 and 80 from goal will give Hawkins more space. Walker impressed me last week but I still think he's far more suited playing Hawkins' role than complimenting him. Walker's ruck work was a pleasant surprise though and if they think McIntosh would be dangerous forward then Walker could be an option to allow Blicavs to stick to covering defensively from a wing where we need him to prevent Hawthorn's run off half back.

The only other decision looks to be between GHS and Thurlow for the last spot assuming Johnson gets up. I think GHS deserves the chance. There's a good chance that whichever one gets picked will be subbed. Personally I'd start GHS and have Murdoch as sub but the MC seem to prefer Murdoch's defensive pressure through the whole game.

Not unless you've got a time travel machine and can make the game take place in 1970.

The Hawthorn defence is way better than we give credit for, and a lumbering ruckman will be quietly and effectively nullified. He might - stress the word might - kick a goal or two, but will get destroyed at ground level. And while that's going on Blicavs and Walker will be getting belted in the hitouts.

Can't see too many positives from that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back