Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
i for one hope frawley is not a geelong player next year.

Disagree. Not sure about 5 years (not without performance dependant triggers for the last couple anyway) but I'd be rapt to land him. Lonergan has been terrific but is just about done and we aren't exactly spoiled for replacements.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Disagree. Not sure about 5 years (not without performance dependant triggers for the last couple anyway) but I'd be rapt to land him. Lonergan has been terrific but is just about done and we aren't exactly spoiled for replacements.
Yep. "Just about done" and the stingiest FB in the league. I'm happy with his final year, in that case. We might squeeze another year out of him at this rate. :)

(I actually thought he was finished last season. I'm very happy to have been proven wrong.)

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think he is worth more than Bartel or Corey Enright. I'm not sure Hawkins would be getting more than 700K. You think he is worth more than Hawkins?
No way. I wouldn't go for him unless he was under 500,000. His form has been pretty awful this year. Think he could be a massive dud like Jade Rawlings was after he left Hawthorn.

No way. I wouldn't go for him unless he was under 500,000. His form has been pretty awful this year. Think he could be a massive dud like Jade Rawlings was after he left Hawthorn.

You do realize he has been played out of position pretty much all year and has been playing "dead time" as well.

He could be crap agreed but I would not judge it all on this year. And i would not overpay for him either. At the right price, it would be good.

Go Catters

You do realize he has been played out of position pretty much all year and has been playing "dead time" as well.

He could be crap agreed but I would not judge it all on this year. And i would not overpay for him either. At the right price, it would be good.

Go Catters

Exactly - bit a speculation that Melbourne moved him forward when he wouldn't re-sign so they would start to gel defenders together for future years rather then using Frawley down back when they believe he won't be around next season.

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
I did.

He had a little smile to himself as Dunstall posed the question, but not sure what to read into that.

Think the Frawley slip up was just that, given he was the topic of conversation. But then again.....

Just posted in the game thread too about his qualities as a speaker, and confidence in his boys for this Friday night.
Hopefully like Pickering and the Swans....aaah GWS? ;)

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Some of this talk about "Is he worth more than Hawkins/Selwood/Taylor/a wet paper bag" is a little naive in my opinion. Life is all about taking a few risks, some that pay off and some that don't. Sometimes teams need to bolster their stocks and in Hamish McIntosh and Jared Rivers the club did just that. Both of those players have fabulously applied to the Geelong way and even though some people here just can't be satisfied with anything less than 100% perfection (which is ridiculous, really) both of those players have done well in the hoops.

The issue with bolstering the stocks becomes a supply and demand one and unless you have your own talent developed, ready and in the right age bracket (which we have all agreed Geelong is lacking in that mid 20's age bracket) then attracing the suitable talent to fill the gaps you have is quite clearly going to come at a cost. The cost is weighed up by all and sundry with considerations made to what this risk can potentially reward you with. They look at the upside and you can bet your bottom dollar that the Geelong management have looked at this heavily and with serious input from the players that you're wondering about whether Frawley is worth more than.

I don't know a lot about Frawley though I recall he has had a lot of promise in his career including an All Australian selection which is well documented. This understanding matched with the belief that the Cats management would have done their due diligence including leadership group consultation reinforces my feeling that if James Frawley dons the hoops in 2015 it will be because they believe he will add great value and reinvigorate his career to the highest quality.

Consider Frawley returning to a form that would have him in AA talks this time next year and what flexibility that may offer the club or just how strong it would make our defense.. Surely that is worth it?

Did Hawthorn get Brian Lake for a steal? They paid around ~400k for a bloke who was already 30 and he won the Norm Smith in a premiership team the following year. (or was it the 2nd year?) My point here is that even if they'd paid him 700k - no player who earned less than him would have been upset that Hawthorn identified a need, paid overs to get it and got a premiership as a result. Geelong will be no different.

Can he sign an agreement before then?
I'm pretty certain you can't. Whilst you may hand shake on things, nothing can be binding until that window opens and either party may pull out without penalty until then.

Nah, I had some offline s**t to sort through and it took a while - nothing dangerous or life-threatening though!:p Had to get back to Melbourne at the pointy end of the season!

It's clobbering time!
Nice way to put it.

witsend

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Yes , and that female "know it all" dares to bag FA. If clubs wish to keep players , they should be able to off them the type of experience that will encourage them to stay. Players have no choice on where they commence their career , its only fair that they should choose where they reside after 8 years 139 games for 34 wins. That's enough to give anyone the "see you later" mindset. Year after year of controversy. chances wasted. enjoyment dissipated.
I will say this , its only fair that clubs get comp, its why I'm for it. If there was no comp, Melb and other like it would be the like the dead witch in Wizard of Oz , squashed and immolated for the sake of the stronger

Not sure what her gender has to do with her opinion...

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
How lucky are we that we got 3 out of 3 then, eh?

Do you think HMac has been more then servicable, Fred?

We took a gamble on him, and after all the time MIA, he's still yet to truly dominate. I doubt he's ever been in our best five for any one game.

He'll really need to stand up now, ala Ottens, and show us he's been worth the patience and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back