Port wearing away strip - now ok to wear prison bar jumper - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory, the carlton shorts farce against geelong was going to cost them $3000 per player, so you would take it from there. Willingly breaking a rule may also face further sanctions, but the AFL would be foolish to pursue that line.

if Port do get to the point where they have to say "* it", I'd hope RFC would stand by them in any announcement publicly, saying we will wear our clash jumper against the AFL instruction too.

Even if both clubs get fined, it will make the point very clear that the clubs have lost confidence in the AFL's administration of this issue.

On the first, I think this is where common sense some into it - for instance is there really a clash between EFC and MFC? if there is one, cant it be addressed with MFC changing shorts (to white or red)? Haven't thought about it much TBH, but changing jumpers should be the last option, and the fewer matches a clash jumper needs to be made for, the easier it is to engineer simple design changes.

On the WAFL thing, with SoO dead you would hope the WAFL just agree to let us use it as is. They have the yellow with the black swan which is recently used, and looks good.

I would argue that Melbourne and Essendon is just about the worst clash in the competition and white shorts is so far away from an acceptable solution it's not funny. It does raise an interesting idea though: what if Essendon and Melbourne just had 'third' guernseys? In other words, why couldn't they just wear the reversed primarily red design as the main clash against the likes of Richmond, Port Adelaide and Carlton and then the white/grey version in away games against each other? If that happened, even if the club wore the clash every time it was required to, you might not see the white/grey guernsey in a given year.

I would argue that Melbourne and Essendon is just about the worst clash in the competition and white shorts is so far away from an acceptable solution it's not funny. It does raise an interesting idea though: what if Essendon and Melbourne just had 'third' guernseys? In other words, why couldn't they just wear the reversed primarily red design as the main clash against the likes of Richmond, Port Adelaide and Carlton and then the white/grey version in away games against each other? If that happened, even if the club wore the clash every time it was required to, you might not see the white/grey guernsey in a given year.

As I mentioned, never really thought about the MFC/EFC one, but my thinking was making EFC blacker, and MFC redder.

Agree in principle though, we need to move away from white being the be all and end all - its soulless and ugly

Port have to jump through a myriad of hoops every time they want to wear the prison bars and now the AFL decides at 5 day's notice that they can wear it for a final? Blatant attempt by the AFL to dig themselves out of an embarrassment of their own making. If I was Port I'd tell them to stick it and say we'll wear the bars when we want to, not when it's convenient for you.

Did Richmond actually put that up as a suggestion?

unknown - when discussing with our official on our board last year, he would only comment on the final design once it was approved - there was no disclosure of options or AFL rejections

Fixed that for you

We are going to be forced into white shorts against essendon.

I'm not sure what the opposition is against wearing white shorts at home? The whole notion of dark shorts at home and white shorts away from home is an archaic 'tradition' and one that has to be let go if the AFL are going to get this clash jumper farce right. The strange thing is that the league actually made some great progress in choosing the proper shorts throughout most of 2012, but then reverted to unnecessary white shorts in 2013 and 2014.

There is nothing wrong with wearing white shorts at home. If you have a predominantly white guernsey, as North do, then it just makes sense. Real Madrid look great with all white (I know it's a completely different scenario but still.) If North care so much about wearing blue shorts at home then they can start wearing their inverse blue guernsey at home too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team should be forced to have a majority white clash strip. The end.

For me a major issue is that a number of teams have a lot of white in their home jumper (Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, North), and so away jumpers that feature white end up creating an even bigger clash. The same goes for white shorts when the opposition wears white. Just adds to the confusion. When Adelaide plays Sydney in Sydney for example, it's absurd that the Crows should wear white shorts and a white top, it creates a clash with Sydney's half white jumper that doesn't otherwise exist. Wearing their home jumper and shorts in that game would be preferrable.

For me a major issue is that a number of teams have a lot of white in their home jumper (Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, North), and so away jumpers that feature white end up creating an even bigger clash. The same goes for white shorts when the opposition wears white. Just adds to the confusion. When Adelaide plays Sydney in Sydney for example, it's absurd that the Crows should wear white shorts and a white top, it creates a clash with Sydney's half white jumper that doesn't otherwise exist. Wearing their home jumper and shorts in that game would be preferrable.

Doesn't everyone wear their home strip against the Swans except the Suns?

i've written about this sort of s**t numerous times.

no consistent policy. actually, no policy whatsoever. just adhoc rulings as the games approach.

so a another of finals series approaches, and more issues of AFL incompetence overshadow the games themselves in the lead up to the matches.

the AFL look like absolute ******* morons here as becomes the case too often

Every team should be forced to have a majority white clash strip. The end.
just because your jumper is predominately white please don't force that on other teams.

Our away jumper is predominately yellow, we have worn it since 2010 against port when playing away and there has been not one iota of a clash. Then due to the incompetence of the afl calling it unsuitable for a finals game we are supposed to change our clash jumper to white?

tell me from below which has the greater clash?

The afl astound me in their stupidity...

4927058-3x2-700x467.jpg

906591-jake-king.jpg

I wonder if the real agenda of the AFL here is to make all teams have distinct "clash" jumpers.
I can't believe it was just poor administration on the AFL's behalf.

Doesn't everyone wear their home strip against the Swans except the Suns?

Yea the last game I saw at the SCG the Crows wore their home strip, but the one before that I remember we had the ******* raven away strip on. When we had the normal strip a mate remarked that sanity had prevailed, which is why that example was still in my head lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back