EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

The two forwards for Avondale have kicked 160 goals between them for the season and Avondale are the highest scoring side in the league. It becomes a problem with less goal scorers than other sides when your forwards are held but this has not been the case. Avondale's forward line or ability to score goals is not the problem that they have. I noticed that when Avondale moved forward they kicked it to a contested option of Galea and he kicked 7. In watching the second semi, it appeared that they started poorly to give Strathmore a 5 goal lead at half time. They hit the front in the last quarter but Strathmore just put the foot on the pedal and appeared fresher. Tiller looked to be in trouble early and did not return to the field after quarter time. May have affected their key backline setup. Not sure what you mean by Gazi coaching ability when he got them to finish equal first
Not having a crack at the coach he's taken them a long way, just doing the form. When they have 3 goal scorers against quality opposition they don't win.
Does that come down to the coach or players? I think coach. They are obviously a good team playing to the structure's set by the coach.
Saturday could easily have been two goal scorers. The third was a 1 v 5 against in the square that somehow fell into the little blokes lap.

Thought douttas would be an ideal destination for prospective players following an unlucky relegation.... Big chance of a flag next year

Maybe not as dominant but it's not unlike oak park a few years ago
EDS reserves would finish top 4 in Div 1 so they should be okay, good junior depth will have them back in A grade within 1 or 2 years.

Thought Abers looked clinical in their display and should only get stronger with inclusions this week (Oswald, Craven). Tom Hislop timing back from injury perfect, he looked up and about. Big ask for Avondale without Tiller as Abers forward line very dangerous. Would Toy get first go at Gallea? If so, be a fantastic contest.

On another note, any EDSFC faithful able to provide which players they expect to lose as a result of the relegation and any ideas who will coach with Barham stepping down?

Douttas chasing Capt Coach for 2015 - Steve Smith from Dunnybrook Football Club in N.Qld.

Douttas chasing Capt Coach for 2015 - Steve Smith from Dunnybrook Football Club in N.Qld.
That's a great choice from douttas Steve smith also heard he is bringing a sponsor close to his heart with him Kentucky fried chicken as major sponsor

Which competition does Donnybrook play in N.Qld, the Cairns comp? I am keen to look up Smith's stats as I presume he will be playing coach?

Going to be a great Preliminary final with both teams having a great chance. I watched Avondale on the weekend and they were very good in the 3rd term but lacked penetration in the other 3 quarters. Obviously they have the 2 gun fwds but I just think that Abers might be too classy all over the ground and they have some quality forwards themselves and with Tiller and maybe Tanner injured it may leave too big a hole to fill. Avondale have now lost 2 in a row whereas the Rillaz seem to be on the up. Abers by 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be a great Preliminary final with both teams having a great chance. I watched Avondale on the weekend and they were very good in the 3rd term but lacked penetration in the other 3 quarters. Obviously they have the 2 gun fwds but I just think that Abers might be too classy all over the ground and they have some quality forwards themselves and with Tiller and maybe Tanner injured it may leave too big a hole to fill. Avondale have now lost 2 in a row whereas the Rillaz seem to be on the up. Abers by 25.
Another quality summary.

The two forwards for Avondale have kicked 160 goals between them for the season and Avondale are the highest scoring side in the league. It becomes a problem with less goal scorers than other sides when your forwards are held but this has not been the case. Avondale's forward line or ability to score goals is not the problem that they have. I noticed that when Avondale moved forward they kicked it to a contested option of Galea and he kicked 7. In watching the second semi, it appeared that they started poorly to give Strathmore a 5 goal lead at half time. They hit the front in the last quarter but Strathmore just put the foot on the pedal and appeared fresher. Tiller looked to be in trouble early and did not return to the field after quarter time. May have affected their key backline setup. Not sure what you mean by Gazi coaching ability when he got them to finish equal first
I'm not sure anyone is doubting the quality of Avondales "plan A" as you won't find a better 1-2 punch outside the AFL system, the question is, can others step up should Rose and Galea fail to kick bags?
This is where Ghazi will earn his keep, as Abers are defensively well organised and have a number of players that they can throw at those two gun forwards to limit their output, can he get the game played on his terms and with all of the attention that Rose and Galea will be receiving can someone else step up?
With all due respect to Avondale, I think they're coming up against the wrong team at the wrong time..
Abers by 30-40pts

I'm not sure anyone is doubting the quality of Avondales "plan A" as you won't find a better 1-2 punch outside the AFL system, the question is, can others step up should Rose and Galea fail to kick bags?
This is where Ghazi will earn his keep, as Abers are defensively well organised and have a number of players that they can throw at those two gun forwards to limit their output, can he get the game played on his terms and with all of the attention that Rose and Galea will be receiving can someone else step up?
With all due respect to Avondale, I think they're coming up against the wrong team at the wrong time..
Abers by 30-40pts

Whoever loses will be $350k+ lighter in the pocket for coming 3rd. Committee and or Footy Ops. dept. might find it a bit harder to approach the same loyal supporters in 2015 asking them to contribute similar amounts without guarantees of winning (or even making) the GF.

Whoever loses will be $350k+ lighter in the pocket for coming 3rd. Committee and or Footy Ops. dept. might find it a bit harder to approach the same loyal supporters in 2015 asking them to contribute similar amounts without guarantees of winning (or even making) the GF.
Just like Pacco $250K, Greenvale & APW $300K lighter for not even making the finals, how do you reckon their loyal supporters feel about kicking in again? Doutta's $250k and relegated. No guarantee's in this game my friend. If Strathmore lose next week there's $400k. It's hard for everyone every year, harder for some than others(Mores, Jets & Abers) who have the luxury of beneficiaries throwing in $100k to pay players over 12months of the year. I hope like everyone else there is a way out of this rut of whoever spends the most wins because it is killing local footy everywhere (just look at WRFL) especially good people/volunteers
Good Luck to all teams this week

BF50 really find those figures hard to believe, at $350k divided over 22 players and 20 weeks makes it the average player earning $800 a game, surely this is not the case.

Just like Pacco $250K, Greenvale & APW $300K lighter for not even making the finals, how do you reckon their loyal supporters feel about kicking in again? Doutta's $250k and relegated. No guarantee's in this game my friend. If Strathmore lose next week there's $400k. It's hard for everyone every year, harder for some than others(Mores, Jets & Abers) who have the luxury of beneficiaries throwing in $100k to pay players over 12months of the year. I hope like everyone else there is a way out of this rut of whoever spends the most wins because it is killing local footy everywhere (just look at WRFL) especially good people/volunteers
You must be a font of knowledge and wisdom, with access to all those club's balance sheets, including payment amounts to every player to be able to quote those figures. Or are your estimates just wild guesses?

Bangfrom50 you have been missed over the last 3 weeks. Your post is 100% correct!!!! Others out there who think that the average Premier division club is not spending $250K is kidding themselves. That's allowing for the top 6 clubs averaging $300k, Pacco and Doutta around $250k, Marby and NS a cog down.
That's because top clubs are paying their top 6 between $1500 and $800 a game which is $130,000 already.

You must be a font of knowledge and wisdom, with access to all those club's balance sheets, including payment amounts to every player to be able to quote those figures. Or are your estimates just wild guesses?
Abers are spending $1.2m so he was wrong.

Apparently the deal fell through with Winderlich for next season, hence his looking to play another season with Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back