Preview AFL 2nd Qualifying Final - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, 7:50PM Friday 5 September

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to be the CHF position, which we really need. Having Walker there allowed Tomahawk to take 10 marks on Saturday + boot an illustrious seven goals. I liked the look of Blitz on Saturday, yes it was Brisbane, but with Walker we saw what a difference having a CHF makes.

Pretty sure there was someone else playing through that area at times Squishy. Kicked as many goals as Walker, had more possessions, and 6 inside 50s.

Indeed. Bringing in Mcarthy at this stage would be a desperate move.

He is a talented player but he is not ready. Horlin-Smith is actually a goal threat now, he may not be quick but he is very clinical around goal.

Horlin-Smith has kicked two goals in the last nine games, if he is chosen it isn't for his goal kicking ability.

Horlin-Smith has kicked two goals in the last nine games, if he is chosen it isn't for his goal kicking ability.
I think the point was that's two more than McCarthy who is actually picked as a small forward.

GHS has 13 goals in 19 matches (some as sub) which is better than inside mids the likes of Rockliff (10 in 19 games), Priddis (10 in 19 games), Sloane (13 in 22 games) and Pendlebury (13 in 21 games).

His goalkicking is a feature of his game which has been an absolute bonus discovery this year.

They can't drop GHS unless they believe he is spent.
It will most likely be Johnson, Motlop, Christensen, HMac in for Walker, Smedts, McCarthy, Thurlow.

But if Sj doesn't get up, I'd actually play McCarthy.
We are desperately lacking a small forward who chases, and one who needs to be watched.
We need to make the Hawks small backs be accountable.

McCarthys lack of actual goals does not bother me in the slightest.

Folks for me the science is settled ;) Although Walker was mighty impressive and looked like he felt he belonged at last, it's Brown for me. Working between 40 and 80 m out, lead up forward giving Hawk space and dishing off to runners around the wing/HFF. Brown also looked like he thought he belonged and he clunked a few, dished off a few, and did a bit of groundwork grunt. Another poster noted he held back in a marking contest on the wing and he will have been told that is not acceptable.

Bring in Bundy, Mots, SJ and HMac for McCarthy, Smedts, Walker and unfortunately Thurlow who has done nothing wrong. If SJ does not come up then leave Thurlow in. I would be tempted to hold SJ back, though if we win this one I don't think it will matter anyway.

Inclined to run GHS in the vest for his inside work when the game slows a bit in the latter stages. Though his creativity is under-rated on here a bit I think. Blitz no for the vest as his running, size and versatility are musts.

Folks for me the science is settled ;) Although Walker was mighty impressive and looked like he felt he belonged at last, it's Brown for me. Working between 40 and 80 m out, lead up forward giving Hawk space and dishing off to runners around the wing/HFF. Brown also looked like he thought he belonged and he clunked a few, dished off a few, and did a bit of groundwork grunt. Another poster noted he held back in a marking contest on the wing and he will have been told that is not acceptable.

Given what this board is like, I'd need to see that before I believe it. He didn't seem to be holding back from anything from what I saw. Closest I can think of was one moment where Enright (I think) kicked it straight to his opponent.

Given what this board is like, I'd need to see that before I believe it. He didn't seem to be holding back from anything from what I saw. Closest I can think of was one moment where Enright (I think) kicked it straight to his opponent.

The problem is that players unsure of their place in the team can make the wrong decision which looks like they've squibed a contest when they haven't. I don't remember the one on the wing. But there was definitely one point where a kick to Hawkins on the lead dropped short and he could've probably chopped in front to take the mark but hesitated instead. It could easily be pointed at as being "soft" (a word that keyboard warriors seem to love) but in reality he almost certainly thought Hawkins had it. If he'd gone for it and had spoiled a Hawkins mark he would've copped criticism as well. It was just a case of needing time to get the communication right and they'll be fine. Thankfully he impacted the game because I imagine if he had a quiet one the detractors would've been pointing that moment out all week.

The problem is that players unsure of their place in the team can make the wrong decision which looks like they've squibed a contest when they haven't. I don't remember the one on the wing. But there was definitely one point where a kick to Hawkins on the lead dropped short and he could've probably chopped in front to take the mark but hesitated instead. It could easily be pointed at as being "soft" (a word that keyboard warriors seem to love) but in reality he almost certainly thought Hawkins had it. If he'd gone for it and had spoiled a Hawkins mark he would've copped criticism as well. It was just a case of needing time to get the communication right and they'll be fine. Thankfully he impacted the game because I imagine if he had a quiet one the detractors would've been pointing that moment out all week.
I remember that one too.
It was like he got a call to leave it because he pulled out of it at the last moment

Interesting that Lake didn't train today. Looks to be groin related rather than a "corkie" as reported.

If he's picked the Hawks run the risk of him reinjuring it; hopefully in the first five minutes. :thumbsu: :)
On 360 last night they showed him getting the corkie, then the Doc explained that where he got it, there is a nerve that goes up and into the groin, so that's where the pain is. He should play, whether he's 100% or not is another question.

This is where I have a strange aversion to hypocrisy - Kelly gave away two goals from making a horrible blunder in the goalsquare, and sort of going for a marking contest leaving Greene to waltz around him and kick a goal. Very little said. Compare that to the scrutiny Brown, Walker and Smedts for example cop, something doesn't quite align to me.

This is where I have a strange aversion to hypocrisy - Kelly gave away two goals from making a horrible blunder in the goalsquare, and sort of going for a marking contest leaving Greene to waltz around him and kick a goal. Very little said. Compare that to the scrutiny Brown, Walker and Smedts for example cop, something doesn't quite align to me.
He has runs on the board.
Big difference.

To be fair Kelly's got a lot of credits in the bank. In hindsight his handball across goal against Carlton is one of the funnier things I've seen on the football field. I personally don't understand the overt criticism of any player. People thinking abusing players on their own team is a reasonable thing to do and that it has no impact on their performance. I'd hate to think how many times guys like Varcoe, Brown, Smedts, etc have copped "soft", "squib", "coward" and the like over the fence at the game. And this is from a supporter group that's seen the most successful run in terms of wins any team has had ever. I'm not surprised guys like that struggle with their confidence at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After hearing CS on the couch I think he will play McIntosh as the main key forward alongside Hawkins and will use Blicavs and Walker as the mobile ruckman for 2 reasons. McIntosh will stretch the medium sized hawks defence more than brown and walker and also wont get exploited the other way by Ceglar and Hale. Both hawks ruckman are not giants so doubt they will smash walker and blicavs in the middle.
Unfortunately, I got that impression too.
I say unfortunately because I really thought against Hawks, it'd be good to have a player with some class and skill on the fwd line(Brown) but looks that he will miss out on a finals appearance with us. This week anyway.

Most would learn from it. Billie... not so much.

Unfortunately, I got that impression too.
I say unfortunately because I really thought against Hawks, it'd be good to have a player with some class and skill on the fwd line(Brown) but looks that he will miss out on a finals appearance with us. This week anyway.

Listening to him last night - this will be a Chris Scott special - he will pick WAlker and GHS ( god knows why) - Hawthorn will defeat Geelong - and then the following week - he will dump those 2 - and Thurlow and Brown will come into the side - one week too late for the Cats of course

Just as he selected Walker for that Freo final ( and was found wanting) and dropped him the following week

I didn't see on the couch, but it would be a very strange move to have Mcintosh forward and Walker in the ruck. Presumably this would only be after the centre bounce but even still Walker is going to struggle at boundary throw ins and Hale is a crafty operator.

If they are even considering this, they must be spooked by second half from round 22.

I have to agree that whenever Kelly gets the ball I cringe a little wondering if he's going to butcher the disposal. I don't think he has ever been a great kick of the ball, and this year hasn't been great in that regard. I think where Pops gets let-off is that his inside pressure acts are first rate, and so we accept his deficiencies better. Smedts & Co. don't have the runs on the board like Kelly does, they haven't proven themselves yet so some ppl are more critical of them.

Last edited:
I didn't see on the couch, but it would be a very strange move to have Mcintosh forward and Walker in the ruck. Presumably this would only be after the centre bounce but even still Walker is going to struggle at boundary throw ins and Hale is a crafty operator.

If they are even considering this, they must be spooked by second half from round 22.
I think if anyone thinks McIntosh won't play in the ruck on Friday night they have rocks in their heads. CS has always liked the three tall option and was keen on the McIntosh/Simpson/Blicavs combination earlier in the season. Walker may be seen as the replacement for Simpson in that trio, with him and McIntosh rotating forward, while Blitz does his usual thing as the everywhere man, and all three having turns in the ruck.

I have to agree that whenever Kelly gets the ball I cringe a little wondering if he's going to butcher the disposal. I don't think he has ever been a great kick of the ball, and this year hasn't been great in that regard. I think where Pops gets let-off is that his inside pressure acts are first rate, and se we can accept his deficiencies a little better. Smedts & Co. don't have the runs on the board like Kelly does, they haven't proven themselves yet so some ppl are more critical of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played most of the game in the guts for this one. Head to head with Mitchell while Guthrie takes Lewis or Hill/Smith.
FWIW, a poster on the Dawks board has received word Hill is done for the year. Another has posted Smith was on light duties with Thyril and left the track early.

I think if anyone thinks McIntosh won't play in the ruck on Friday night they have rocks in their heads. CS has always liked the three tall option and was keen on the McIntosh/Simpson/Blicavs combination earlier in the season. Walker may be seen as the replacement for Simpson in that trio, with him and McIntosh rotating forward, while Blitz does his usual thing as the everywhere man, and all three having turns in the ruck.
Agreed. Hearing crap like this is alot like playing Harry as a forward.
Lets leave our ruckman to play in the ruck and our best defender play in defence.

I just watched it.
Unless what is on the website doesn't contain the full video, I don't know how anyone has come up with the conclusion that Walker and HMac will ruck.

0 goals for all of 2014 so far.

Geez you're a wet blanket mate, gone and ruined a perfectly good fantasy there. ;)

Side [almost] picks itself really, four automatic inclusions assuming SJ is ready to go, Smedts, McCarthy, Thurlow [unlucky] and one of Brown or Walker go out.

Still have grave concerns about Brown and Walker myself, realise they were both fair last week, but the standard of opposition and the intensity of the game will be immeasurably higher Friday night and I fear they may be found wanting.

Hopefully Caddy can continue his form of the last few weeks, would love to see him play forward more as he looks really dangerous around goals, and Varcoe can string three good games together.
Looks a completely different player when he takes on the opposition as he did last week, instead of getting rid of the pill the instant he takes possession.

Can't recall when or who, but he clearly backed off the contest rather than attack. May be he could not get to it and went plan B. Not huge issue for me, he was very solid on the night and provided great value.

Last edited:
I just watched it.
Unless what is on the website doesn't contain the full video, I don't know how anyone has come up with the conclusion that Walker and HMac will ruck.
Where can you watch it vc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back