Computers & Internet Downloading crackdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know who the Ice Truck Killer is yet?

Lol, the very first show that got me into torrenting was dexter think it was ch10 played first few eps then moved it, then stopped it, so I thought f- this and got in the net to try and work out how this torrent thing works...

you guys should all be installing XBMC and The Super Repo

- Install XBMC
- Download The Super Repo zip file from the page I sent
- Open XBMC
- System > Settings > Add-Ons > Install from zip file
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded Super Repo zip and hit ok
- Add-Ons > Get Add-Ons > All Add-Ons > Video Add-Ons
Installing 1Channel, Ice Films, Mash Up and Project Free TV for films and Video (should be noted these aren't streaming from legal sources)
Other gold channels are ABC iView, AFL Video, Al Jazeera, CBS News, Docu-Hub, NFL.com, Red Bull TV, Ted Talks

Plenty of other good channels.

Happy days

So realistic.

I like that they skipped the part where the people who bought a real DVD had to sit through 5 unskippable trailers and warnings about piracy.

Wonder if it has ever occurred to them to put the unskippable trailers and warnings on the pirated copies? :drunk:

The people who make the pirate copies just cut it out same way they do the adds on stuff you download......

I tend to think this is representative of the attitude of business in Australia in general. Harvey Norman, and most importers/distributors seem the same as Foxtel, so used to being able to overcharge the Australian consumer by a phenomenal amount, and now that the internet is out there and we, the consumers, can see how badly we've been ripped off, are choosing to lobby government to change rules so they can maintain their obscene profit margins, rather than adjusting their business practices to suit the changed environment.

I've long suspected that Murdoch was behind the current "Cancel the NBN" policy because of how much threat a decent Netflix/Hulu style business would present to Foxtel's market share.

The people who make the pirate copies just cut it out same way they do the adds on stuff you download......
463.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've long suspected that Murdoch was behind the current "Cancel the NBN" policy because of how much threat a decent Netflix/Hulu style business would present to Foxtel's market share.

I totally agree. When you've got so few people running so many things, it's bound to happen. And when they're so powerful, they generally get what they want.

Doesn't help either that our government is still stuck in 1950, and doesn't understand the value of fast internet. All they see is piracy = bad, they never bother to look at why people resort to piracy. As long as: Foxtel keeps charging exhorbitant prices, there aren't decent legal streaming options around, our internet isn't fast enough to utilise them, and TV channels keep treating anything other than their precious Who's Building The Australian Celebrity X Factor in Their Kitchen with complete contempt, people will download.

I totally agree. When you've got so few people running so many things, it's bound to happen. And when they're so powerful, they generally get what they want.

Doesn't help either that our government is still stuck in 1950, and doesn't understand the value of fast internet. All they see is piracy = bad, they never bother to look at why people resort to piracy. As long as: Foxtel keeps charging exhorbitant prices, there aren't decent legal streaming options around, our internet isn't fast enough to utilise them, and TV channels keep treating anything other than their precious Who's Building The Australian Celebrity X Factor in Their Kitchen with complete contempt, people will download.

Stupid thing is there's money in it. If you provide a quality service that meets people's needs, they'll pay for it.

If you force them to pirate to get that, they will.

"Just as there is no place on the internet for terrorism or paedophilia, there should be no place for theft that will impact the livelihoods of the 900,000 people whose security is protected by legitimate copyright," Village Roadshow argues.

Yes, he really did just compare those things....

Shows you just how out of touch they are

So is youtube getting blocked? there's whole films up on there with some BS "Fair Use" quote in the description.

Also, I highly doubt anyone is pirating Australian made films because I don't think any people watch most of them.

Next thing you know we'll have an eBay/Amazon tax to protect the retail industry.

Last edited:
On what basis is Foxtel's pricing exorbitant?

From the numbers I have seen it operates at about a month profit out of the year while providing one of (if not the largest) content distribution networks in the country.

Not that I'm cheering on the cost of my subscription but everything in Australia costs more because we pay people at least $650 a week with the average being over twice that.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Out this weekend in the US. Australia? September 18. GFY distributors.

What I find ridiculous is when films are up for Best Picture at the Academy Awards, but they don't get released in Australia until after the Oscars are given out (eg. No Country for Old Men, Dallas Buyer's Club), six months after their original US release date.

Last edited:
On what basis is Foxtel's pricing exorbitant?

From the numbers I have seen it operates at about a month profit out of the year while providing one of (if not the largest) content distribution networks in the country.

Not that I'm cheering on the cost of my subscription but everything in Australia costs more because we pay people at least $650 a week with the average being over twice that.

There's a price reduction/restructure that is happening in a couple of weeks too; The basic package price is literally being halved, and is having extra channels included in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back