EDFL Div 1 2014

footyjunky

Senior List
Mar 24, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last round in Div 1 and all the action is at the bottom of the ladder where less than 2% separates Haddy and Crazyburn. Haddy have a very winnable game against Oak Park and even a small loss my be good enough. Haddy will be throwing everything at the Oakers but the Oakers onball quartet will be too good. Op by 26. Crazyburn have to make the trek to Lionheart and the form the Lions are in it is probably the worst draw for Crazy. Lakes have beaten the top 2 and have just had the bye. Damage control imo for Crazies coach Peter Bugden. Lakes by 45. Glenroy v Tulla these 2 played in the Prelim last year but since then the sides have gone in opposite directions. Word is that Tulla are resting a few for finals but they should still be too good for the Roys who we all know would already have a huge Mad Monday planned. Tulla by 35. Sharks v Wc been a great effort from Kolyniuk and his Sharks everyone had them getting relegated in March but they have done well. WC will use this as a tune up for finals on a big ground and win by 80. Been a great season, Haddy to go down and the finals should be great.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I would bring up Div 2 Premiers and do away with the bye in Div 1

Yep, that was one of the things I was going to suggest for 2015. The bye in Div 1 is silly.

On top of that I would propose the following:

1: All clubs must have at least an Under 10, 12, 14 and 16 side.
2: All clubs must have an Under 18 side.
3: Clubs who don't should be relegated in place of any side which meets points 1 and 2 and who finish last.

footyjunky

Senior List
Mar 24, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, that was one of the things I was going to suggest for 2015. The bye in Div 1 is silly.

On top of that I would propose the following:

1: All clubs must have at least an Under 10, 12, 14 and 16 side.
2: All clubs must have an Under 18 side.
3: Clubs who don't should be relegated in place of any side which meets points 1 and 2 and who finish last.
What happens if you relegate a team. EG Tulla this year or OP last year and they win the flag by 20 goals but under your system they don't come up. also say a Premier side like Oak Park last year don't have 18s if they cant play in Premier then they cant play in div 1 so you suggest they go to div 2. All clubs will have ups and downs, the juniors should not effect the Seniors at all. Under your proposal if Tulla win the flag in div 1 instead of going to Premier they should go to div 2. That would make for an even comp

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
What happens if you relegate a team. EG Tulla this year or OP last year and they win the flag by 20 goals but under your system they don't come up. also say a Premier side like Oak Park last year don't have 18s if they cant play in Premier then they cant play in div 1 so you suggest they go to div 2. All clubs will have ups and downs, the juniors should not effect the Seniors at all. Under your proposal if Tulla win the flag in div 1 instead of going to Premier they should go to div 2. That would make for an even comp

Tulla or whoever wouldn't win the flag because they wouldn't be playing finals, they'd be relegated. Remember, they've been given all of the 2014 off season and the 2015 pre-season to get out and about and recruit. It wouldn't be like they didn't know what was going to happen. If they started the year with at least an 18 side and it fell over, then some consideration should be given.

Also any team who came down from Premier who didn't have an 18s side get the off season to get their house in order. Oak Park managed to get an 18's up and going, so it shows it can be done and maybe what they needed was dropping a division to help that process on. As for the juniors, well, they invariably become your seniors, so I disagree with the assumption they don't effect your seniors.

I reckon if a clubs senior status was dependent on 4 junior sides and an 18s they'd make it happen.

End of the day this is just an opinion and will never happen.

Lingy

Draftee
May 10, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
At the end of the day, the position of a club depends on the result of their senior team. It has always been this way and should stay that way. I understand your opinion but it is ridiculous to suggest that a club should be relegated because they have struggled with underage teams. Every club in the comp would be trying as best as the can to get young players to the club.
In the NFL, they have/ or did have a separate under 19's comp which works fine. Heidelberg won several senior flags in a row without an under 19's team and not for one minute did it effect the senior comp

Last edited:
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Enthralling game out at Taylors Lakes yesterday with the Eagles showing again how far they've come after a pretty ordinary start and very unlucky not to get a free at the end of the game to give them chance to win it.

Massive wrap to the two best umpires we've seen all year too. Just a pity they never gave that last free. :)

Hadfield down to Div 2 after a disastrous end to the year. I hope the finals series is a good one and I hope West Coburg win.

footyjunky

Senior List
Mar 24, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Semi final time in Div 1 and the top 4 have been pretty clear cut for about 6 weeks and they all seem in their correct spots with a comfortable 2 game gap in between every ladder position. The Burgers have been the big improvers this year after not making finals last year. Diggers has them humming along and they have only lost one game. Their midfield is class with fitax, Marwan, Kelly and Berak and their backline is a very solid outfit that provides plenty of run, guys like Machoda, Drake and Watterson. They play Tulla for a spot in the Big Dance. Tulla also have quality mids in Hare, Marcy and Egan, as well as a potent forward line that contains ex Abers skipper Daniel Mangan. WC have defeated the Demons twice this year but maybe Tulla are due, Demons in an upset by 3 points. in the other Semi the white hot Taylors Lakes take on the vastly improved Tigers from Westmeadows. Lakes are coming off 2 huge wins and westy are coming off 2 thumping's from the same top 2 teams. Surely Westy shouldn't get near the Lakes, a side that contains gun mids in Morelli, Desousa and Ragusa and solid forwards in Xureb and Buckets Allen. Westy will need everything to go right to match the Lakers although their head to heads this year stand at one all. I cant see them getting near Steve Burns' men. Lakes by 40. Ps weather forecast is 19 and sunny it must be finals time.

Malcom Marshall

Draftee
Oct 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Westmeadows boys had a pretty physical week on the track from all reports, even having match practice on the bye weekend .
Think it will be a lot closer than many think, both encounters were less than a kick and both very low scoring hard defensive battles.
A terrific effort for Westmeadows to come from last to be playing finals footy this weekend. Could go ether way, less than 10 points

Tullamrine and west coburg standout sides for the year and both deserving to be playing off for a spot in the GF. Windy hill will suit Tulla so should be another cracker. West coburg by 2 points

footyjunky

Senior List
Mar 24, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Craigieburn could be the big movers in 2014

They have signed 10 quality players already, some of these include:
Jesse Davies
Big TK
Daniel Nolan
Dave Renton
Matt Thomas
5 others from the Northern Footy League

Plus 3 guns are very close to signing in the coming days!!!!

Watch this space .........
Spot on Great prediction

footyjunky

Senior List
Mar 24, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think anyone cares except for me and Auckmel but I thought there might have been more on here about the 2 semis. Anyway Tulla are through to the Big Dance after a convincing victory and Westy start planning for 2015. This weeks game should be a beauty with the wide expanses of section road suiting Taylors Lakes down to the ground. BUT West cob have been the best team all year so I am loathe to write them off. Burgers running defenders against the Lakes big forwards. Classy midfield matchups including morelli, Sharkie and Tayls against Marwan, Berak and Kelly. Gallina v Hopkins/schwlager in the ruck. Will Morrell play will Fitax be back? Should be a ripper but WC to win by 10 points.

muppet007

Debutant
Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If Tullamarine gets promoted to Premier Division (or stay in Division 1) next year and can't field an Under 18s side again, what will the league do? Do what they did this year and get one of the other clubs that have two 18's sides to replace them? or?

I'm guessing Tullamarine will do everything they can to field one next year, but how can they when they didn't have one this year or have an Under 16's side?

Subway

Debutant
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Looks like great weather on the weekend for the big dance.

Tulla will be a full strength, West Coburg with a few out. Should be a cracking game with Tulla having the week off and West Coburg coming off a good win against the Lakers. Will be hard to slipt at the final siren however I’m going with West Coburg to bring home the chocolates.

The game before should be a cracker as well with Glenroy flooding the two with senior players, taking on Lakers who have been the best team all year. Will be a tough battle but I’m tipping Lakers to top off a great season.

With West Coburg’s under 18s going out in straight sets it’s opened for anyone’s taking. Both Craigieburn and Hadfield have dropped the kids back down from the seniors. I’m going with Craigieburn to win… Just.

You have to love grand final week.

footyjunky

Senior List
Mar 24, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like great weather on the weekend for the big dance.

Tulla will be a full strength, West Coburg with a few out. Should be a cracking game with Tulla having the week off and West Coburg coming off a good win against the Lakers. Will be hard to slipt at the final siren however I’m going with West Coburg to bring home the chocolates.

The game before should be a cracker as well with Glenroy flooding the two with senior players, taking on Lakers who have been the best team all year. Will be a tough battle but I’m tipping Lakers to top off a great season.

With West Coburg’s under 18s going out in straight sets it’s opened for anyone’s taking. Both Craigieburn and Hadfield have dropped the kids back down from the seniors. I’m going with Craigieburn to win… Just.

You have to love grand final week.
Hey Subway any news on which guys West might get back for the GF. I know Fitax wont play but who have they got that might come back into the team which defeated Lakes?

JACK HARRIS

Debutant
Oct 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey Subway any news on which guys West might get back for the GF. I know Fitax wont play but who have they got that might come back into the team which defeated Lakes?
Whose asking , Footy Junky or his alter ego , how many alias can one man have. Might be nice to see Zoo return for one last hoorah
Good luck on Sunday Cash, Spotswood here we come

Subway

Debutant
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Don't rule out Fitaxx... Doing everything he can to get up.

Zoo's a chance too, my old friend will always put his hand up to play but let's be honest, it's a grand final, who wouldn't!!

Back