Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's more the case that similar-styled players have produced just as entertaining and more consistent football than what Cyril's achieved in his whole career to date.
Let's be honest, small forwards are there to kick goals, not to be the king's of defensive pressure acts, and the media have just jumped ship (except for Brereton who'll mention Rioli at every chance he can get) and started focusing on other forwards who are playing an exciting brand of footy against quality opposition regularly.

The Wingard's, Breust's, Motlop's, Eliott's, Matera's & plenty of others of the world are giving us more bang for the buck.
Compared to the Motlops and Thomas type players that don't have any defensive pressure and only run one way.

1) Jack Ziebell - the two broken legs excuse doesn't wash anymore. Lacks consistency in his game; his big games are huge but they are surrounded by mediocre performances. Has been hidden in the sub vest and up forward this season. Hugely disappointing considering the hype.
2) Trent Cotchin - good player, but not the elite champion player Richmond supporters talked him up as. Could still develop into an elite midfielder but his last 2 seasons have been no where near the level of his fantastic 2012 season, and he has stagnated under the captaincy role. Relies too much on 1-2 possessions to pad his statsheet.
3) Shaun Burgoyne - makes all his touches count, but too often he just plods around with no intent and has large patches in games where he has no impact. I've seen him be described as an A-grade mid... maybe he was at Port, I now just see him as a solid B-grade player that does his role each week but is rarely a standout.
4) Chris Yarran
- all flash, little substance. Been good this year but considering the hype he got after his first couple of seasons, he hasn't really kicked on to become a consistent contributor.
5) Will Minson - was a joke of a player for much of his career, had a fantastic 2013 season making All-Australian, he's gone back to averageness this year and was eventually dropped. Will be 30 at the start of next season so doesn't really have a lot of time to improve again, he looks like being a one-season wonder.
6) Jack Darling - was talked up early in his career and had a good debut year, but he's been disappointing since. Doesn't look like being the once-in-a-decade forward cum midfielder people thought he would be. Still has a great performance every now and again but isn't consistently damaging.
7) Brodie Grundy - talked up by at least one footy expert as a once in a generation ruckman... considering what we've seen from him so far, nuff said: he's overrated based on output.
8) David Zaharakis - good player but has very little continuation in his game, not helped by injury. Plays a string of awesome games each year that is largely surrounded by average-good performances. Could be a lot better than what he currently is.
9) Aaron Black - still has time on his side but he's gone backwards this year and isn't currently justifying the hype he received for his decent 2013 season. Lucky not to be dropped multiple times.
10) Dale Thomas - was considered disappointing his first 4-5 years before breaking out in Collingwood's premiership year as a midfielder. Injuries have cruelled him every since and he's never gotten back to that level. Wasn't worth whatever high sum Carlton paid for him.

Yet in finals Burgoyne regularly stands up and impacts when it matters.
I think you need to go and watch last years Prelim.

So if another North poster uses the 2 broken legs excuse for Ziebell it means you're a hypocrite for using Hurley? Anyway, I'll do a club by club one:

Adelaide: hmm. I think Dangerfield is a tad overrated, he's a gun no doubt but he wins quarters, not matches (yet). This is probably my most controversial call.
Brisbane: tough one. Clarke, maybe, don't think he'll be an A-Grade CHB, B-Grade though, probably.
Carlton: Yarran easily. He's improved this season, no doubt, but still overrated.
Collingwood: Grundy, gives away way too many soft ruck infringement free kicks.
Essendon: externally, no idea, but internally it's Alex Browne. A couple of half decent games at AFL level and he's a good to very good player.
Fremantle: nobody springs to mind. Very even and well rated group.
Geelong: Caddy. People might say it's just bitterness for not getting him but he just doesn't exceed at anything
Gold Coast: Day. He needs an extra something to make him that gun we know he can be.
GWS: Frost. Don't rate him at all.
Hawthorn: Hill. He's a good runner, and a good young player but my god, his kicking is so overrated.
Melbourne: Hogan. He hasn't played a bloody game, let's wait until he's actually done that, yeah?
North Melbourne: Petrie. A little bit of a flat track bully.
Port Adelaide: another one I rate pretty even with everybody else.
Richmond: Cotchin. King of the useless 1-2 that gets the team nowhere.
St. Kilda: Gilbert. 1 million over 3 years which means they can't afford Goddard? Smart move saints.
Sydney: Nick Smith. Another controversial one, but he's become so underrated in most peoples eyes that he's overrated.
West Coast: McGovern. Talented, yes, but not the second coming.
Western Bulldogs: Crameri. Averaging less than 1 goal/game against top 8 sides from 2012-14.
Can't work out how Clarke is overrated, no-one I know rates him as more than an honest defender, no star, just a handy player better suited to second or 3rd forward not the #1 forward.

Apart from that not a bad list.

So if another North poster uses the 2 broken legs excuse for Ziebell it means you're a hypocrite for using Hurley? Anyway, I'll do a club by club one:

Adelaide: hmm. I think Dangerfield is a tad overrated, he's a gun no doubt but he wins quarters, not matches (yet). This is probably my most controversial call.
Brisbane: tough one. Clarke, maybe, don't think he'll be an A-Grade CHB, B-Grade though, probably.
Carlton: Yarran easily. He's improved this season, no doubt, but still overrated.
Collingwood: Grundy, gives away way too many soft ruck infringement free kicks.
Essendon: externally, no idea, but internally it's Alex Browne. A couple of half decent games at AFL level and he's a good to very good player.
Fremantle: nobody springs to mind. Very even and well rated group.
Geelong: Caddy. People might say it's just bitterness for not getting him but he just doesn't exceed at anything
Gold Coast: Day. He needs an extra something to make him that gun we know he can be.
GWS: Frost. Don't rate him at all.
Hawthorn: Hill. He's a good runner, and a good young player but my god, his kicking is so overrated.
Melbourne: Hogan. He hasn't played a bloody game, let's wait until he's actually done that, yeah?
North Melbourne: Petrie. A little bit of a flat track bully.
Port Adelaide: another one I rate pretty even with everybody else.
Richmond: Cotchin. King of the useless 1-2 that gets the team nowhere.
St. Kilda: Gilbert. 1 million over 3 years which means they can't afford Goddard? Smart move saints.
Sydney: Nick Smith. Another controversial one, but he's become so underrated in most peoples eyes that he's overrated.
West Coast: McGovern. Talented, yes, but not the second coming.
Western Bulldogs: Crameri. Averaging less than 1 goal/game against top 8 sides from 2012-14.
Brad Hill is not overrated. Plays well in finals and is a lovely kick of the footy

Brad Hill is not overrated. Plays well in finals and is a lovely kick of the footy
I disagree. Hill kicks as many clangers as Brent Stanton. One of the worst kicks at Hawthorn

Well he is a better kick than Jobe Watson and a ten times better kick than Watson was when he was in his 3rd year
Yeah, nah.

I disagree. Hill kicks as many clangers as Brent Stanton. One of the worst kicks at Hawthorn

Went alright on Friday. 80% efficiency. Worst kick at Hawthorn still probably puts him in the top echelon of most teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1- Joe Daniher
2- Patrick Dangerfield
3- Dale Thomas
4- Andrew Carrazzo
5- Chad Wingard
6- Eddie Betts
7- Majak Daw
8- Cale Hooker
9- Cyril Rioli
10- Adam Goodes

1- Joe Daniher
2- Patrick Dangerfield
3- Dale Thomas
4- Andrew Carrazzo
5- Chad Wingard
6- Eddie Betts
7- Majak Daw
8- Cale Hooker
9- Cyril Rioli
10- Adam Goodes

Second year player kicked 4 in his first final as the #1 target, still takes first place on the list. :thumbsu:

Going by club:
Adelaide: Brent Reilly, his form has really dropped off this year.
Brisbane: Lewis Taylor - He has had a good first year but I think there were a few who were better than him and more deserving of the rising star.
Carlton: Dale Thomas - Not sure if he's overrated any more though, considering he is on most peoples lists in here. Regardless he is certainly not worth the type of money he is on.
Collingwood: Brent Macaffer - I know he's a tagger but for me he doesn't get enough of the ball for someone playing in the midfield.
Essendon: Dyson Heppell - He's a very good player, but not elite as some would suggest. Doesn't kick enough goals.
Fremantle: Chris Mayne - A forward averaging 0.6 goals a game and has only kicked multiple goals once this year (2 vs. Port in rd23)
Geelong: Josh Caddy - I just don't see it with him, average at best.
Gold Coast: Can't think of one, no one really stands out as overrated.
GWS: Jeremy Cameron - Great player and will have a great career , but he is overhyped.
Hawthorn: Brad Sewell - Another whose form has dropped off.
Melbourne: James Frawley - Not worth the amount of money he is asking for.
North Melbourne: Drew Petrie - His better games are generally against the weaker sides, although he did step up when the game was on the line against Essendon.
Port Adelaide: Matt White - Great speed and running ability but personally I think he is overrated.
Richmond: Trent Cotchin - Gets a lot of possessions from pointless 1-2s
St. Kilda: Leigh Montagna - His form this year hasn't been great from round 8 and onwards.
Sydney: Sam Reid - Had a few good games but has struggled a bit this year
West Coast: Jack Darling - Good first couple of years but has been disappointing this year.
Western Bulldogs: Will Minson - Had one excellent year(2013) but has gone back to his previous form this year.

J Patton
K Tippett
L Montagna
M Boyd
B Stanton

Just to name a few. I fully believe that if Tippett was at another club he would do a lot more though.

J Patton
K Tippett
L Montagna
M Boyd
B Stanton

Just to name a few. I fully believe that if Tippett was at another club he would do a lot more though.

Stanton? Seriously?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back