Postcards (Hong Kong, Rio, Torino, Melbourne, Hyderabad and many others ... Add your location)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just discovered that I have to subscribe or something to use tapatalk. I haven't used it for a while so I assumed it would work. Dammit!:cry:

Hi all,
I'm now travelling slowly through Puglia. Since I last wrote a postcard I've been back to Rimini to stay with friends, and had a week in Bari. Although Bari only warrants 2 or 3 days it is useful as a base to do lots of day trips from.
There are so many beautiful little towns along the coast, very very old and full of history, and the beaches (I use that term loosely) are stunning. The water so clear.

I'm now in Ostuni, known as the 'White City'.
Manic Magpie you first told me of this place, and I had planned to come here last year. I had to cancel those plans but finally I'm here.
It's very beautiful, small and 1000 years old.
Attending another language and I'm the only person there this week so enjoying private conversation lessons :). Lucky me!

The weather has been very hot, the south is full of holiday makers, but it's very lively and enjoyable. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408982201.597998.jpg
Polignano a Mare - simply stunning. There are many grottos along the coast and they're wonderful to swim in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408994329.641839.jpg
Concert in the piazza in Ostuni. The piazza and streets are lit up with thousands of coloured lights

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408982366.545840.jpg
The old city of Ostuni. View from my rooftop.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408983316.420606.jpg
Trani

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408983378.241104.jpg
Bari port at sunset

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408983821.545042.jpg

View of Bari from my favourite bar. Sat here every evening enjoying an aperol spritz.
Ah, life is good!

Ciao
MG :hearts:

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm now travelling slowly through Puglia. Since I last wrote a postcard I've been back to Rimini to stay with friends, and had a week in Bari. Although Bari only warrants 2 or 3 days it is useful as a base to do lots of day trips from.
There are so many beautiful little towns along the coast, very very old and full of history, and the beaches (I use that term loosely) are stunning. The water so clear.

I'm now in Ostuni, known as the 'White City'.
Manic Magpie you first told me of this place, and I had planned to come here last year. I had to cancel those plans but finally I'm here.
It's very beautiful, small and 1000 years old.
Attending another language and I'm the only person there this week so enjoying private conversation lessons :). Lucky me!

The weather has been very hot, the south is full of holiday makers, but it's very lively and enjoyable.View attachment 75764
Polignano a Mare - simply stunning. There are many grottos along the coast and they're wonderful to swim in.

View attachment 75777
Concert in the piazza in Ostuni. The piazza and streets are lit up with thousands of coloured lights

View attachment 75768
The old city of Ostuni. View from my rooftop.

View attachment 75769
Trani

View attachment 75770
Bari port at sunset

View attachment 75772

View of Bari from my favourite bar. Sat here every evening enjoying an aperol spritz.
Ah, life is good!

Ciao
MG :hearts:
How is their economy going, what are the locals saying?
Do I recall you visiting Italy before? If so, is it more expensive now? Accommodation, food, travel?
Great photos by the way.

Great photos MG. Haven't worked out how to like yet I'm sorry. We are now in Lyon which is also amazingly old. Most of my photos are on my video cam so can't post but I managed this before we left Paris. It will be much better when we get back from our tour as we have a number if days to ourselves before heading to Italy. Travelling to Monaco and Nice in the next few days so hopefully will get some more interesting shots. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409025529.401610.jpg

How is their economy going, what are the locals saying?
Do I recall you visiting Italy before? If so, is it more expensive now? Accommodation, food, travel?
Great photos by the way.
Yes Maggie I've been here a few times in the last 5 years.
I don't find it more expensive, other than accommodation in august because it's the high season.
Food is excellent and relatively cheap (for me)
In general the economy/country is in dire straits, especially employment opportunities for young people.
Tourism and food production keep many areas alive.

Yes Maggie I've been here a few times in the last 5 years.
I don't find it more expensive, other than accommodation in august because it's the high season.
Food is excellent and relatively cheap (for me)
In general the economy/country is in dire straits, especially employment opportunities for young people.
Tourism and food production keep many areas alive.
Thanks for this, shame about the unemployment. Thought that Italy would be better off than say Greece as they still have quite a bit of manufacturing in addition to tourism.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409200057.680581.jpg the beach at Nice. There is no sand to be found anywhere. It's all stones so all drinks served at the beachside bars come "on the rocks" regardless of preference and the safest place is in the water because all the white pointers are on the beach.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409285382.729080.jpg
Le Pont De Avignon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409285465.678151.jpg
The port of Monaco
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409285517.278356.jpg
The first bend on the GP circuit at Monaco
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409285611.061518.jpg
PieNSauce in Nice
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409285673.245422.jpg
An ancient Roman Ampitheatre in Arles
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409285754.361575.jpg
A very poor photo outside the famous walled medieval city of Carcassonne

Most of my photos are on my video camera but I have tried to take a few to post on my phone. They are nowhere near as good but will have to do for now.

went to sale for work, nice country town

This is art apparently

10464297_10152736660103413_7536037432976245507_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still enjoying the sunshine and the glorious beaches in Puglia.

I spent 2 weeks in Ostuni, the white city, and was fortunate to be there for the last week of the summer festival. Every night there was a concert in the piazza, with an orchestra and opera singers, and I was also privileged to see a 3 day festival of the Cavalieri - the horses and riders dressed in outfits of red, white and silver to honour the patrons ain't of Ostuni.
Every night there is a procession through the town with all the officials etc. it's very beautiful.
Topped off with fireworks.

Ostuni was enjoyable, but a little frustrating. There are so many interesting places within a half hours drive, but they're almost impossible to get there without a car. The bus service is was very insubstantial.

This is my second week in Otranto. A very beautiful ancient city on the coast. The beach is small but the water is the clearest I've ever seen it, and ther is sand!

Continuing at language schools, and I only speak English now when I'm talking to friends and family in Aus.

Feeling very relaxed and happy, and can't say I'm too excited to be heading home in a month - but I shan't think about that yet.

Shame about the beloved pies, but as we all know, there's always next year!
Take care, hugs from Italy,
MG
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969131.384545.jpg
The Festival of Sant'Oronzo, Ostuni. Every year since 1794

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969215.427096.jpg
Castel del Monte. Built in approx 1294. It's an octagonal shape built to the Golden Ratio of Fabinacci.
And it's on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969388.067835.jpg
The amazing trulli houses of Alberobello.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969644.097363.jpg
Full moon in Otranto

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969691.249344.jpg
The eastern most point of Italy. Albania is 200kms away.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969780.464858.jpg
View from an abandoned farm, built in 14th century. They had to defend the coastline from the Turks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969803.884710.jpg
Storm approaching Otranto last Saturday night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410969852.077832.jpg

Enjoying the beach after a long bike ride.

Last edited:
image.jpg

The craziness of Hyderabad ...

... this is a fly screen door ...

... today I saw the same thing, except with a full length mirror ...

... weaving in and out of traffic, the traffic here is insane!!!

Last edited:
The DinoSoars are currently enjoying the heat and humidity of Hong Kong this week ... haven't quite worked out how to upload photos correctly from my iPhone as yet so hope this works.

image.jpg
View across to Hong Kong Island from Kowloon.

image.jpg
View from the Peak

Evidence that the Magpie army is taking over the world - saw a dude walking past us on Nathan Rd in a Pies membership cap! Lol, we're everywhere!

upload_2014-9-23_23-34-54.jpeg

Inside the Hall of Mirrors, Versailles. Where I almost got divorced.

Had to head off early to get to Versailles in time for our tour. When we left, it was into the first quarter on ANZAC day, and we were five goals down.

I thought to myself, "We'll win this." I think something about Paris must have made me slightly mad, even as we walked to the RER station.

ANyway, get to Versailles. Do tour. Walking around the state apartments...and get to one end of the hall of mirrors.

Check phone...to find a twinge of free internet signal. They have hotspots in a couple of places, and one is out the back of the main palace close enough to the hall of mirrors to pick up a flicker on my phone.

Watch mounting horror on Mrs Reykjavik's face as she realises what I'm doing...

It was worth it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back