Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

could someone give me a rundown of the brownlow votes each year for losing sides. I looked on Rlstats but can't find the relevant info

Total votes by losing sides
Number of 1s, 2s, 3s

OK i've calculated twenty 3 vote games in 2013 for the losing side.

Rockliff Ablett and Libba seem to do alright for losing sides.

Libba got a 3 vote game (-31)
Goddard a 3 vote game (-53)

Last edited:

Eessendon in 1924, Hawthorn in 1963, Melbourne in 1964, Richmond in 1974, Essendon in 1993.

Believe it might be the first time that minor premiers lost both first and last rounds while the wooden spooners won their first and last.
GWS didn't win the Spoon.

Was randomly looking at the 1968 season, and the opening round saw two game scores of identical aggregate point tallies..

Richmond 11.22.88 beat Collingwood 10.12.72 and

North Melbourne 13.10.88 defeated the Dogs 9.18.72

How many times has there been identical aggregate game scores in a round of footy? Is it much more common than it seems to be?

Also that round pre-dates my birth by two days as well..:)

Re: Post your stats questions here

The stats board won't get far unless someone has all the answers, anyway:

Supposedly Richmond at 1-7 are still a chance for the finals. My question is:

What are the worst 0-x, 1-x and 2-x W/L records where a team has still made finals?

Collingwood were 0-5 (and 1-5) in 1959 and made the finals.
Essendon were 1-5 in 1981 and made the finals.
Hawthorn were 1.5-5.5 (and 2.5-6.5) in 1996 and made the finals.

Conversely, Melbourne were 5-0 in 1971 and missed the finals by 3 games and 17.2% :eek:

And again, Melbourne in 1965 were 8-0 and missed the finals by 2 games and 36.7% :eek::eek:
In 2014, Richmond were 3-10 and made finals by winning their last nine games.

Was randomly looking at the 1968 season, and the opening round saw two game scores of identical aggregate point tallies..

Richmond 11.22.88 beat Collingwood 10.12.72 and

North Melbourne 13.10.88 defeated the Dogs 9.18.72

How many times has there been identical aggregate game scores in a round of footy? Is it much more common than it seems to be?

Also that round pre-dates my birth by two days as well..:)

Round 11 2004.

Ess 24 10 154 def Haw 12 8 80

Kang 24 10 154 def Rich 12 8 80.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there ever been a footy match (this can be AFL or any other league) where two players or more kicked 10+ goals? If not what's the closest to it?

The 1923 VFL Grand Final was a challenge match. Why was it not played on October 13?
From the AFL Record Season Guide 2014:-

The game was played on October 20 after being postponed the week before due to bad weather. The Grand Final had to compete with the Caulfield Cup!

From Grand Finals - Volume I:-

~ following a torrential and prolonged downpour in Melbourne during the week leading up to Grand Final day.

~ But with the MCG waterlogged the match was postponed, although, as it turned out, the weather on what should have been Grand Final day was fine. It was only the second time a finals match had been rescheduled.

~ It also meant that Essendon would go into the game having played just one game of football in five weeks.

Last edited:
Looks like the forecast was bad but the day turned out to be fine. Seems very odd.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1993142

"The postponed grand final match of the Victorian Football League premiership will be played on the Melbourne Cricket Ground tomorrow between Fitzroy and Essendon. The members of the two teams have been in full training, but it has been surprising to find that the postponement of the game last Saturday has caused great loss of interest in the match. To an extent it is regarded as an ordinary game, instead of a contest to decide the championship of Victoria. It is remarkable how the interest in football dies out with the advent of spring racing and cricket. There are many delegates now thinking of what might have been had the match been played last Saturday. As it turned out the fine afternoon was wasted, for thousands of people who would have 'revelled in watching the play, and there would probably have been a record attendance. One enthusiast yesterday expressed the opinion that the postponement would cost the league £1,000."

Has there ever been a footy match (this can be AFL or any other league) where two players or more kicked 10+ goals? If not what's the closest to it?
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1993/050919930501.html

Anyone who saw this incredible 1993 clash between Essendon and Geelong has probably never forgotten it. Paul Salmon kicked 10 for the Bombers, Gary Ablett snr. 14 for the beaten Cats. Amazing stuff!

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1931/041519310905.html
Bill Mohr - St Kilda - 11
Gordon Coventry - Collingwood - 11

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1933/041119330902.html
Gordon Coventry - Collingwood - 10
George Margitich - Melbourne - 10

Last edited:

I have found four instances in the SANFL, though my research for this league only goes to the end of 1992.

Round 14, 1903: Jimmy Tompkins (15) and M Healey (10) for Port Adelaide vs. West Adelaide
Round 4, 1930: Les Dayman (10) for Port Adelaide vs. Glenelg and Jack Owens (10) for Glenelg vs. Port Adelaide
Round 6, 1940: Bruce Schultz (10) for Norwood vs. Sturt and Bo Morton (12) for Sturt vs. Norwood
Round 10, 1987: Stephen Nichols (13) for Woodville vs. West Adelaide and Dale Woodhall (11) for West Adelaide vs. Woodville

I have found four instances in the SANFL, though my research for this league only goes to the end of 1992.
Seems odd to me that there is not a lot to be found on the internet as far as SANFL statistics, history etc. are concerned, yet the WAFL (and obviously the VFL/AFL) gets covered much better.

Round 14, 1903: Jimmy Tompkins (15) and M Healey (10) for Port Adelaide vs. West Adelaide
Round 4, 1930: Les Dayman (10) for Port Adelaide vs. Glenelg and Jack Owens (10) for Glenelg vs. Port Adelaide
Round 6, 1940: Bruce Schultz (10) for Norwood vs. Sturt and Bo Morton (12) for Sturt vs. Norwood
Round 10, 1987: Stephen Nichols (13) for Woodville vs. West Adelaide and Dale Woodhall (11) for West Adelaide vs. Woodville

Why 1992? Interested as to the significance behind that seemingly arbitrary stop date

Remove this Banner Ad

Back