AIHL 2014 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Structure of the 2014 AIHL Finals:

Semi-final 1: 1 v 4 Saturday, August 30th at 3pm
Semi-final 2: 2 v. 3 Saturday, August 30th at 6:30pm

Grand-final: Sunday 31st August at 3pm

--

Hoping the Ice finish second so I can attend Essendon v Carlton at the G and then head into the Ice House for the game at 6:30. Pls.

Given the Brave can't finish any higher than 3rd, which is the most likely outcome, will be well beered up by the time the puck drops.

Only standing room tickets left for the finals and it is only been sold as a two day (3 game pass) ticket.

I really hope the Melbourne teams make it to GF, that will be an epic final to watch with some potential bad blood between Hughes brothers and Ice team.

No stream for the Ice game today as it's being recorded for the fox sports game during the week.

Great for promotion, horrible for the more diehard fans.

The Melbourne Mustangs have finished on top of the ladder and grab the H.Newman Reid Trophy.

Means I'll get the best of both worlds next week watching the Bombers in the day and the Ice at night on Saturday. What a time to be alive.

The Melbourne Mustangs have finished on top of the ladder and grab the H.Newman Reid Trophy.

Means I'll get the best of both worlds next week watching the Bombers in the day and the Ice at night on Saturday. What a time to be alive.
Very happy for you.
Finals are often very different from home and away fixtures. It is to be hoped that the officials chosen do not influence the outcome of any finals games as was the case in Melbourne today. A game that started as Ice Hockey was certainly not that by the end as players were called for an array of penalties only understood & seen by the ref. In addition the referee allowed a goal after a Perth forward had charged the goalie, put him into the posts and swatted the puck across the line. It was criminal. Also the referee refusing to call the savage cross check to the teeth on Jeremy Brown had fans certain that referee Alabaster needed for the visitors to win this game for some reason. The standard of AIHL officials has failed to match the improvement in playing standards and many games this season have been ridiculous.
In what was a "meaningless" game it could be argued that it didn't matter BUT when spectators are paying a premium price some effort should be made to get the best whistle blowers on the ice. Given that a professional ice hockey official with high level O/S experience has been forced to stand out of the top level of the sport so as not to upset local referees and allow the likes of Mr Alabaster to augment his income is a joke! Given that this same Mr Alabaster also selects the Chief referee in his role as ice hockey Victoria's president, who then selects the referees for AIHL games it can bee seen that the sport's governance is a farce. Hope for a great finals series next weekend without striped garbage.

Itttttttttttt's a Melb derby final. Mustangs v Ice.

What an end to the season this will be.

Canberra Brave fans came storming into the arena letting everyone know of their presence. It made the victory that much sweeter seeing their gloomy painted faces as I walked out of the Ice House.

The Sydney Ice dogs have some of the most..... Interesting fans I've ever seen. I'll leave it at that. I was sitting next to some Mustangs fans and these visiting teams fans made us pretty united in wanting the Melbourne teams to win. Melbourne Ice Hockey fans are definitely the more conservative of the lot.

* our goaltender was solid. Made an absolute ripper glove save at the start that had even the Mustang fans applauding.

Met a cool Brave fan on the way to the game and met two cool Mustang fans while watching. Bring on tomorrow.

"All tickets are single game, general admission tickets. The ticket holder is entitled entry into the Henke Rink but no seat will be available."

Is that supposed to mean there are no reserved seats (it's not an option) available at all, or every seat is genuinely booked by people and I can only stand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was tough to swallow but The Melbourne Mustangs are the AIHL 2014 Champions.

Well and truly keen for a break until next year. It's tough putting in the effort all year and having everyone always cheering against you.

A few points from today.
- If you were disgusted when Essendon fans booed that umpire when he got injured then you'd have just about had a brain aneurysm today at how the Ice Dogs/Mustangs fans near me treated the ref who took a puck to the face today. It was absolutely feral. Thankfully a round of applause came from the Ice/Brave side of the crowd when the ref got up.. To their credit a few Mustangs fans around me clapped as well.

- Early in the game a puck came over the board and landed near a little girl, she picked it up and handed it to another Mustangs fan who threw it back on the ice. Now all of a sudden a lynch mob starts booing and abusing the guy for not letting the girl keep the puck. However the girl had voluntarily given the puck to the guy as a Mustangs players had already given her a puck during the warm ups. I tried to explain this to the lynch mob and all I got back was "YEAH! BUT YOU COME TO THE ICE HOCKEY TO KEEP A PUCK" ..... Old bloke clearly had no ******* idea what I just told him.

- I hope there wasn't too much bad blood in the mysterious way the Hughes brothers left the Melb Ice because they'll have a huge permanent "* you Ice" banner to hang in the Ice House rafters next year.

- There was a mention in the program about how the Mustangs put a lot of effort into getting an Aussie goalie to work out for them so that they could have another international player spot for a forward. That was/is a pretty sweet tactic.

Well done to all involved in the season, no matter how much each teams fans dislike each other we are all a necessary cog in the AIHL machine. May next season be bigger and better than ever.

Good on the mustangs. Not sure if anyone saw, but the LA Kings twitter tweeted to them. The kings twitter account has to be one of the best in the biz.

**** our goaltender was solid. Made an absolute ripper glove save at the start that had even the Mustang fans applauding.
Yeah, JPM was huge against us - that glove save in the first few minutes was clutch - we were hunting early, a goal would have calmed our guys a bit, may have been different. Thought he was better than Pitstop on Saturday tbh - even with Pitstop being sick. Ice too good, Stangs too good on Sunday. Good weekend of hockey, pity about the results from a Brave POV, but still been a great season for us, 6 months ago we didn't have a hockey team, to make finals was unbelievable.

The Brave move has been great. Love the colours and logo more than the Knights.

Shame about Pine-Murphy not being able to hold up in the final. Bastard had me quietly confident about it as well. Not like any of our other players turned up though.

The Brave move has been great. Love the colours and logo more than the Knights.

It now looks distinctly like an ACT team, corporate support has been amazing (team will be in the black this year), and the crowd has responded fantastically - most obviously with the BraveHearts concept, which has taken off incredibly for an idea over a few beers. As a few of us said to the boys - been a great year, sad end, but a great year.

Shame about Pine-Murphy not being able to hold up in the final. Bastard had me quietly confident about it as well. Not like any of our other players turned up though.
You guys also set up really poorly moving forward - in bad spots, and ended up taking a lot of low percentage shots, that Fraser could turn away pretty easily. It happens - that's hockey.

What's the go with Iceman? - the oddest mascot since half of the AFL ones who look kinda molestery.

Just one of the few things we are falling behind in with the Mustangs. I guess he looks a bit like Iron Man?

However I prefer our lack of decent mascot compared to the guy in the Mustang suit. Can't get away from the bloke in such a small venue. Apparently the Grand Final was his last game before handing it over to someone else though.

Just one of the few things we are falling behind in with the Mustangs. I guess he looks a bit like Iron Man?

However I prefer our lack of decent mascot compared to the guy in the Mustang suit. Can't get away from the bloke in such a small venue. Apparently the Grand Final was his last game before handing it over to someone else though.
I figured he was like Iron Man 2 (s**t) but colder.

Yeah, I was chatting to the Stang too, nice bloke, poor bastard would have been cooking in there - the icehouse is warm. From that I take it you don't remember the old Oakleigh days, when it was a small venue? Or get to away games pretty much anywhere? Icehouse is magnificent (though the trade off is that it makes it harder to generate an atmosphere there), most other rinks, including ours, are far, far smaller. Ours is a shithole, but it's our shithole.

Oh yeah I fully understand how the Ice House is compared to other venues.. Still can't get away from that pesky Stang though who does his job well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back