Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love to see the crowd adapt some lyrics anytime he kicks a goal or lays a huge tackle.

Oh, sugar,(daaa da da da daat daat daaa) oh, turner, turner

I read your quote earlier this arvo and I've had this in my head ever since. Dammit OF.

Great idea though! Really wish we could implement some smart little cheers (similar to what the fanatics do at the tennis, although some are getting old) that we could cheer along to instead of the mundane, unoriginal stuff.

Oh. So the kissing 14 year old girls thing was just a phase then?

Oh yeah. When the AFL stopped scheduling us on Friday nights, I turned.

(Still on topic, this thread is about a Turner)

after the 4 goals on the weekend i reckon he should be known as "icing sugar"
pure-icing.jpg

It is finely ground 100% pure cane sugar, with a superfine crystal size. It gives a firm brittle set (as opposed to the soft set of CSR Soft Icing Mixture), which makes this icing ideal for Royal icings, flat icings, piping and decorative finishes.

with the firm brittle set theres nothing soft about this sugar.

memeb25655880e1ede21.jpg

Last edited:
We have waited 7 long years (since Archer retired) for this, but finally the shinboner is back, running thru everyone , leaving nothing for tomorrow and breaking some bodies on the way. THIS is the real North Melbourne. Welcome back.

We have waited 7 long years (since Archer retired) for this, but finally the shinboner is back, running thru everyone , leaving nothing for tomorrow and breaking some bodies on the way. THIS is the real North Melbourne. Welcome back.

Shinboner of this century? Early nomination?

How about this? It could be our 'Never tear us apart'

(Sung to the tune of 'Total Eclipse of the Heart)

Turner's round.
So every now and then Phil Davis takes his eyes off the ball and then he's on the ground.
Turner's round.
So every now and then Laird does a total Dyson Heppell and craps his undies at the sound of his feet.
Turner's round.
Every player in the league they get a little bit nervous cause only 18 years have gone by.
Turner's round
And this coming weekend * get a little bit terrified
Cause they just saw the look in his eyes.
Turner's round.
Slight rise!
Causing every team to fall apart!
Turner's round
Someone might die!
And he's only played three games it's just the start!

And you need him now tonight!
You need him more than ever!
But we picked him on draft night!
So you'll be holding on forever!

Better look to the left and the right.
Because he'll never be long.

Together we can take it to the end of the line
The Kangas first premiership since Nineteen ninety nine!
You’ll never see him coming he’s smaller than a quark
Now watch him run against the flight and pull down a mark!
It’s gonna happen tonight!
Our new Boomer’s gonna start tonight
Our new Boomer's gonna start tonight
Once upon a time North lacked a push and a shove
Now number forty’s sparked a fresh start.
There’s nothing you can do.
The nineties about to restart!

I reckon Bohemian Rhapsody was written for the coming of Turner.
Don't have to change much in the lyrics at all.

Mama, just killed a man.
Hit my chin against his head
Pulled the trigger now he's dead.

Mama, his life had just begun,
But now I might've gone and killed his career

Mama, ooh,
Didn't mean to make him cry,
If he's not back again this time next week,
Carry on, carry on as if nothing really happened.

Too late, your time has come,
Sent shivers down your spine,
Body's aching all the time.
Goodbye, everybody, you've got to go,
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth.

Sugar gets Archer's endorsement in today's Hun.

NORTH Melbourne legend Glenn Archer says the Roos must hand schoolboy wrecking ball Kayne Turner a finals debut despite the return this week of five senior players.

The 75kg tackling machine is the youngest player in the AFL — eligible to play this year by just six hours — but has thrilled coaches in his three AFL games.

‘G NO PROBLEMS FOR KANGAS: PETRIE

The Wodonga 18-year-old has kicked seven goals in the past three weeks, gaining a reputation as one of the hardest players on the list despite arriving last year a rookie weighing just 67kg.

Against Essendon the Roos on Saturday night can welcome back Todd Goldstein, Michael Firrito, Lindsay Thomas, Luke McDonald and Levi Greenwood, but Archer says it can’t be at the expense of the Maribyrnong College VCE student.

“He’s going to be very hard to leave out — I can’t see how they leave him out,’’ Archer told the Herald Sun.

“You don’t see many kids come in at that age and play with such ferocity and be able to finish as well; he kicked four goals on the weekend.

“He’s adding something to the side and hopefully he can do it again. It he can keep attacking the ball like that, he’s going to be a great player for us for a long time.”

603665-10cba5ba-3292-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90ea1d.jpg

Kayne Turner kicked four goals against Melbourne in Round 23. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Turner only played nine TAC Cup games late last season as well as some Ovens and Murray senior footy for Wodonga but his fearless attack on the footy saw the Roos pluck him at pick 25 in the rookie draft.

Roos coach Brad Scott paid the 180cm flanker the ultimate compliment this year, stating: “His attack on the footy, and I mean this when I say it, is second to none.”

Collingwood’s Renee Kink famously replaced dumped forward Peter McKenna for a final in 1973 when still only 16.

Geelong schoolboy Ken Newland was only 16 when he played his first final in 1965 for the Cats.

Dustin Fletcher famously played in Essendon’s 1993 premiership side while a student at Penleigh and Essendon Grammar.

603719-1d10b3ec-3292-11e4-aafa-2c4cfd90ea1d.jpg

Kayne Turner marks over Luke Brown in Round 22. Picture: Colleen Petch.

Turner’s Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier said yesterday Turner had come from nowhere to make the grade at AFL level.

“Pound for pound he’s ridiculous (with his attack on the footy). He just keeps stepping up a gear,” Ogier said.

“The way he attacks it he has absolutely no fear and he just attacks with intent and then keeps going.

“His resilience is crazy for a boy of that size. I would never give advice to Brad but all I can say is he continued to step up with us when he needed to. He played in the finals and did a super job for us.”

The Roos take on Essendon in a final for the first time since losing the 2000 qualifying final by 125 points.

Archer said yesterday there was no love lost between the two rivals who took part in the Marshmellow Wars of the 1990s.

“Anyone who has played at North or barracked for North, there is one team in the competition you do hate,” he said.

“(They are in the) next suburb, they have a lot more money than us and we felt in the 1990s they always felt they were better than us so we looked forward to playing them every time, and I don’t think it’s changed that much.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NORTH Melbourne legend Glenn Archer says the Roos must hand schoolboy wrecking ball Kayne Turner a finals debut despite the return this week of five senior players.

The 75kg tackling machine is the youngest player in the AFL — eligible to play this year by just six hours — but has thrilled coaches in his three AFL games.

The Wodonga 18-year-old has kicked seven goals in the past three weeks, gaining a reputation as one of the hardest players on the list despite arriving last year a rookie weighing just 67kg.

Against Essendon the Roos on Saturday night can welcome back Todd Goldstein, Michael Firrito, Lindsay Thomas, Luke McDonald and Levi Greenwood, but Archer says it can’t be at the expense of the Maribyrnong College VCE student.

“He’s going to be very hard to leave out — I can’t see how they leave him out,’’ Archer told the Herald Sun.

“You don’t see many kids come in at that age and play with such ferocity and be able to finish as well; he kicked four goals on the weekend.

“He’s adding something to the side and hopefully he can do it again. It he can keep attacking the ball like that, he’s going to be a great player for us for a long time.”

Kayne Turner kicked four goals against Melbourne in Round 23. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Turner only played nine TAC Cup games late last season as well as some Ovens and Murray senior footy for Wodonga but his fearless attack on the footy saw the Roos pluck him at pick 25 in the rookie draft.

Roos coach Brad Scott paid the 180cm flanker the ultimate compliment this year, stating: “His attack on the footy, and I mean this when I say it, is second to none.”

Collingwood’s Renee Kink famously replaced dumped forward Peter McKenna for a final in 1973 when still only 16.

Geelong schoolboy Ken Newland was only 16 when he played his first final in 1965 for the Cats.

Dustin Fletcher famously played in Essendon’s 1993 premiership side while a student at Penleigh and Essendon Grammar.

Turner’s Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier said yesterday Turner had come from nowhere to make the grade at AFL level.

“Pound for pound he’s ridiculous (with his attack on the footy). He just keeps stepping up a gear,” Ogier said.

“The way he attacks it he has absolutely no fear and he just attacks with intent and then keeps going.

“His resilience is crazy for a boy of that size. I would never give advice to Brad but all I can say is he continued to step up with us when he needed to. He played in the finals and did a super job for us.”

The Roos take on Essendon in a final for the first time since losing the 2000 qualifying final by 125 points.

Archer said yesterday there was no love lost between the two rivals who took part in the Marshmellow Wars of the 1990s.

“Anyone who has played at North or barracked for North, there is one team in the competition you do hate,” he said.

“(They are in the) next suburb, they have a lot more money than us and we felt in the 1990s they always felt they were better than us so we looked forward to playing them every time, and I don’t think it’s changed that much.”

I don't just like that, I love it.

"...a great player for US for a long time."! Take note Wayne Carey.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with former players / commentators having allegiances. See Richo last weekend - it's actually endearing.

* Edit: So long as the commentary itself is neutral, of course.
I do like that JB doesn't commentate our games. If I remember correctly.

And that is why Glenn Archer is the man.

I suspect I know who you are referring to, but if I were treated by my organisation in that way for a non-work related matter I am not sure I would keep strong allegiances either.

But yep, as for Arch he is a great ambassador for the club.

Turner is a possibility to make way purely on the strength of the squad, but I really hope he does get a gig.

Thoroughly deserves it.

Love Archer's great assessment on Turner almost as much as his comment about *.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It's not just that Sugar has kicked 7 goals. How many has North kicked or had the chance to kick because he raced to spoil or landed a crunching tackle? He brings something no-one else does with his desperation, speed and strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back