Remove this Banner Ad

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
Just got my season pass for this, to be held at Cottesloe Tennis club. Cant wait.

What do you think the line ups will be?

Is Mag Dog back in Rafter's good books? What exactly did he do wrong?

Just got my season pass for this, to be held at Cottesloe Tennis club. Cant wait.

What do you think the line ups will be?

Is Mag Dog back in Rafter's good books? What exactly did he do wrong?

He is back in the good books but I can't see him earning a selection. Gooch is actually showing a bit of form in the doubles now and I can't see Matosevic being picked over Hewitt, Kyrgios or Tomic. I imagine he will be next in line though if anyone is unavailable.

Team has been announced!

Hewitt
Kyrgios
Groth
Guccione

I like it. Congrats to Groth. Deserves it with his rise in form this year. Has been partnering up successfully with Guccione this year winning 6 titles would you believe.

Tomic out with a pulled heart muscle. Mad Dog still suffering an acute case of moron disease.

It's tough for Matosevic but when you consider Hewitt and Kyrgios are better singles players and Guccione/Groth have had good results together, it's easy to see why this is the team.

It's tough for Matosevic but when you consider Hewitt and Kyrgios are better singles players and Guccione/Groth have had good results together, it's easy to see why this is the team.

I get the feeling Rafter doesn't want Mad Dog within 100 miles of the team. Mad Dog has arguably been in better form than Hewitt, plus he had some good results on grass leading up to Wimby, from what I remember - could be wrong.

Wouldn't be surprised if he told Rafter he doesn't care about Davis Cup

Played at Kings Park tennis club last week - am surprised they didn't get the fixture, its a sublime place for tennis and the pavilions are already there.

I think so too, I feel like Pat plays his favourites and seems like he gets ego in the way of actual progress looking from the outside. If someone rubs him the wrong way then you're off the team, the fact he isn't even considered for this tie confirms that. I'd pick Hewitt over Matosevic purely based on mental strength but he's been harshly looked over (the France tie at the start of the year) already.

Massive for Groth. Congratulations to him. Likely keeps Lleyton out of the doubles.

Uzbekistan named their usual team - Istomin, Dustov, Ismailov and Fayziev. The latter two are unlikely to play unless the doubles is a dead rubber.

Who knows with Lleyton but Kyrgios should beat both Istomin and Dustov. Istomin is a bloody good doubles player but I think Groth/Gooch will have too much for them.

Not overly concerned.

Massive for Groth. Congratulations to him. Likely keeps Lleyton out of the doubles.

Uzbekistan named their usual team - Istomin, Dustov, Ismailov and Fayziev. The latter two are unlikely to play unless the doubles is a dead rubber.

Who knows with Lleyton but Kyrgios should beat both Istomin and Dustov. Istomin is a bloody good doubles player but I think Groth/Gooch will have too much for them.

Not overly concerned.
Groth getting a game will probably depend on how many sets Hewitt plays in singles, if he plays a 5-setter they'd probably go with a fresh Groth

I don't know about Dustov but I'm suspecting there won't be too many breaks of serve in the doubles with Groth, Gooch and Istomin on grass.

With Tomic out injured I think it is a pretty logical team. Pat doesn't like Marinko but I don't think he can have too many complaints this time around.

Not overly concerned.

Istomin is a bloody good singles player too I think. Really entertaining as well

It has been pissing down for the last few days in Perth - hope the courts are going to be ready. Saw a photo of the boys practicing on what looked like a cow paddock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always look forward to local grass Davis Cup action. If Istomin goes down in the 1st singles rubber, I'll feel like we are just about home. Hard to see us going down, although stranger things have certainly happened.

Honestly, probably more intrigued by Switzerland this weekend. Would love for them to claim a Davis Cup before Fed retires, and this is their best opportunity in at least a decade. Given both had late stage losses in the USO, slight concern, and Italy historically have been a champion team in these sorts of events. Given Roger won't be winning a slam this year, hopefully the Davis Cup has now grabbed his undivided attention.

On Matosevic, he just wouldn't be my first pick in such a team-based event. His performances, within and between matches, can tend to be erratic (particularly prior to this year) and his mood swings do not embody the positive attitude instilled in Davis Cup winning teams. In DC, if you cop a tough loss, you need to be able to wholeheartedly cheer on your teammates a second later, and I just feel there are others that exhibit that sort of quality better at present. If he is clear best 2 in singles, I'd certainly pick him, but given his age and the rising youth in the team, I'd tend to put more work in Kyrgios and Tomic whilst under the experience of Hewitt/Gucc. Long term Davis Cup participation, along with a fighting spirit, requires a keen aptitude for sportsmanship. Not to mention, it's a World Group tie against Uzbekistan, so your Matosevic isn't exactly going to pull them through the gates.

How do we use Hewitt in this tie? He probably doesn't get through 3 best of 5 matches in 3 days. Does he sit the doubles and go with Groth/Guccione?

Hewitt/Guccione to play dubs as well. This decision will be based on how the first day goes.

Surely Pat Rafter of all people should be wary of trying to push old bodies through 3 days of Davis Cup. He had to sit there and watch poor Wayne bloody Arthurs against Escude in the 5th rubber of the final that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back