Zimbabwe Tri Series: Australia/South Africa/Zimbabwe

Remove this Banner Ad

Maxwell should have opened the batting right?

It has merit as we won't have all of Hughes, Finch, Warner in the WC squad. It is too top heavy and despite todays innings, Hughes rarely does it in ODI's.

It has merit as we won't have all of Hughes, Finch, Warner in the WC squad. It is too top heavy and despite todays innings, Hughes rarely does it in ODI's.

Why won't we have them all in the squad?
Hughes would also double as the backup keeper.

What is your 15 man squad?

Phew. That's a shocking batting card for SA - thank god Faf had the kindness to stand on his off-stump.

No change for the final I guess?

Very satisfying win.
it was reward for correct selection but i didn't think any of the bowling was particularly good. Thankfully AB nailed one to square leg, Haddin took a screamer etc and it was happy days with most of the bowlers walking away with nice figures. they'll need to improve in the final.

Why won't we have them all in the squad?
Hughes would also double as the backup keeper.

What is your 15 man squad?

Warner
M.Marsh
Watson
Faulkner
Maxwell
Haddin
Smith
Bailey (c)
Finch
Starc
Johnson
Coulter-Nile
Lyon
Richardson/Cutting

No need for a 2nd keeper, we are playing in Australia, Smith can keep if Haddin so needs a rest! It will be his last tournament, he will want to play every match!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was reward for correct selection but i didn't think any of the bowling was particularly good. Thankfully AB nailed one to square leg, Haddin took a screamer etc and it was happy days with most of the bowlers walking away with nice figures. they'll need to improve in the final.

Our bowling is rarely good these days. I'll take the win anyway! Their bowlers weren't that much better... in either match.

Warner
M.Marsh
Watson
Faulkner
Maxwell
Haddin
Smith
Bailey (c)
Finch
Starc
Johnson
Coulter-Nile
Lyon
Richardson/Cutting

No need for a 2nd keeper, we are playing in Australia, Smith can keep if Haddin so needs a rest! It will be his last tournament, he will want to play every match!

No Clarke?
Has Smith ever kept?
Why so many allrounders who aren't good enough with the ball?

No Clarke?
Has Smith ever kept?
Why so many allrounders who aren't good enough with the ball?

Bit of each way with Clarke, as good as he is, I rather Smith at 3, and I want him to keep playing tests for longer, Smith's leggies will be important. All rounders are important in ODI's.

Bit of each way with Clarke, as good as he is, I rather Smith at 3, and I want him to keep playing tests for longer, Smith's leggies will be important. All rounders are important in ODI's.

So a Kiwi bitsa lineup is the way to go?

I guess we had too many batsmen back in the day with Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Mark Waugh, Bevan...

So a Kiwi bitsa lineup is the way to go?

I guess we had too many batsmen back in the day with Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Mark Waugh, Bevan...

All those all rounders can bat. All of Finch, Bailey, Warner, Watson and Smith are elite ODI bats. That is plenty, then you have Mitch Marsh, Faulkner as the AR's, Haddin the keeper, then the bowlers, whatever makeup you wish.

All those all rounders can bat. All of Finch, Bailey, Warner, Watson and Smith are elite ODI bats. That is plenty, then you have Mitch Marsh, Faulkner as the AR's, Haddin the keeper, then the bowlers, whatever makeup you wish.

Why do we need so many allrounders?

Why select our number 8 on the basis of his batting? How often should we depend on our number 8 to score runs?
It's even more ridiculous when Johnson and Starc can actually bat anyway.

Number 8 to 11 should be our three best fast bowlers and our best spin option or our four best bowlers. Faulkner isn't in that. Coulter-Nile probably isn't (especially if Harris plays).

Watson is a very handy bowler at ODI level and if he can't bowl ten then Maxwell and Clarke or Smith if he plays can do the rest.

So we select more allrounders? We should only plan for ten overs to be bowled by the rest.

Why do we need so many allrounders?

Why select our number 8 on the basis of his batting? How often should we depend on our number 8 to score runs?
It's even more ridiculous when Johnson and Starc can actually bat anyway.

Number 8 to 11 should be our three best fast bowlers and our best spin option or our four best bowlers. Faulkner isn't in that. Coulter-Nile probably isn't (especially if Harris plays).

Watson is a very handy bowler at ODI level and if he can't bowl ten then Maxwell and Clarke or Smith if he plays can do the rest.

So we select more allrounders? We should only plan for ten overs to be bowled by the rest.

Mitch Marsh would be at 6 in my side, perfect 6 really, can bowl, good in the field and is a lower order hitter which is important. You can have an all rounder at 8, and I would rather that, against good sides it is good to have a bit of batting insurance. Johnson at 9, and then Coulter Nile/McKay, etc at 10, and Lyon at 11.

Mitch Marsh would be at 6 in my side, perfect 6 really, can bowl, good in the field and is a lower order hitter which is important. You can have an all rounder at 8, and I would rather that, against good sides it is good to have a bit of batting insurance. Johnson at 9, and then Coulter Nile/McKay, etc at 10, and Lyon at 11.

Why do we need an allrounder at 8?

Wouldn't selecting a better bowler and putting more pressure on the batsmen by threatening for wickets and keeping it tight be better than selecting your bowler because your number 8 might need to save the day?

I'd rather select my best bowlers and select my best batsman.

Look at our 2007 lineup for instance- Hogg, Bracken, Tait and McGrath.
The best four bowlers available to us at the time.

Go on tell us who is our Bracken and McGrath...they were the best two ODI bowlers by 10 lengths! We don't have 2 Dale Steyn's.

Each to their own, I would select an all rounder, you would go a bowler. Happy to agree to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back