Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The very fact it's even considered difficult to tell any teams apart on television is ridiculous. There are no two teams whose home jumpers are that similar that it's that much of an issue. In my view, anyway.
It's all just for casual AFL followers and the northern states.

My commonsense rule is that if there is a jumper in the club's history which it has willingly elected to wear at any point, that is the go-to clash solver, before the obligation to wear a clash strip. So if we're deemed to clash with St Kilda, that clash needs to be with every St Kilda jumper, not just the current incarnation. In other words, if your jumper is sacred, it's sacred, and if you've deemed in your history that it's not, then it's not.

Here's the solution to the Port Adelaide clash:

Richmond-LS-1908.gif

One bar difference to the current clash strip?

A few lucky selections in the squad of 40 this year.

I'd say the likes of Burgoyne, Ellis, and Libba were lucky to make it.

Just off the top of my head, Hanley, Jones, Ryder and Sloane were awfully stiff.
Please tell me they only went with 2 squad ruckmen?

The very fact it's even considered difficult to tell any teams apart on television is ridiculous. There are no two teams whose home jumpers are that similar that it's that much of an issue. In my view, anyway.

Considering we used play in the ******* mud and games were on a black & white tv it's not an issue at all for anyone with even a skerrick of eye function.

It's a marketing exercise and nothing more. ******* campaigning bean counters.

Are clubs actually wanting to pay 500k+ for Casboult? Really? I mean sure, if you were able to handball goals, he might be a good pickup, but he really is an awful kick. Very good mark, reasonable athlete, but every time he goes to kick, he looks like someone who hasn't handled a football before.

I'm not sure why the current clash jumper couldn't just lose (or lighten significantly) the player names and get rid of the grey and replace with white. White socks with a small red and black band around the top, white shorts. Thus it is a proper distinction between the original, it maintains the current clash jumper's red sash on thin black background (as per the club constitution) and it could have proper black numbers on the back and would look ace.

Edit: Seriously, maintaining the grey for the sake of it being a 'tertiary' colour is a load of tosh. Black and red are the only colours synonymous with Essendon Football Club and white is the greatest contrast to black/ dark blue, so these should be the only issues to consider regarding a clash jumper.

I'm not sure why the current clash jumper couldn't just lose (or lighten significantly) the player names and get rid of the grey and replace with white. White socks with a small red and black band around the top, white shorts. Thus it is a proper distinction between the original, it maintains the current clash jumper's red sash on thin black background (as per the club constitution) and it could have proper black numbers on the back and would look ace.

Edit: Seriously, maintaining the grey for the sake of it being a 'tertiary' colour is a load of tosh. Black and red are the only colours synonymous with Essendon Football Club and white is the greatest contrast to black/ dark blue, so these should be the only issues to consider regarding a clash jumper.

The major reason I like grey is because it is the only secondary colour we could use that wouldn't clash with St Kilda. One of the teams that make the grey clash jumper necessary is the saints.

The major reason I like grey is because it is the only secondary colour we could use that wouldn't clash with St Kilda. One of the teams that make the grey clash jumper necessary is the saints.

If they wore their predominantly black jumper with black shorts and Essendon went with a white alternative to the current clash jumper, it'd be no problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that makes it saint kilda colours. **** that s**t right off.
Unless we're playing the spoon collectors, it's not that much of a biggie, imo. Black background, red sash, obvious clash strip. If the "Aints" wear predominant white at their away games, we keep the traditional black with red sash, black shorts, black and red socks............and still kick their arse.

(but don't mention 2014).

It's no more Essendon that what we currently have and it doesn't look that good.

It's significantly less Essendon. Red sash is non-negotiable.

I would have thought keeping our own colours would be far more Essendon than changing to grey wouldn't it?

I don't understand the significance of keeping our two colours for the sake of it. Our jumper is black with a red sash on it, not red with bits of black thrown in to make it feel more Essendon with Melbourne's socks. Anything that is not black with a red sash is not our jumper. Within the proposed range of colours (being black, red and the neutral grey and white) if the jumper is not black with a red sash on it really doesn't matter and then, as far as I'm concerned, it becomes a question of aesthetics.

It doesn't stop surprising me that the primary issue here is not what looks good but rather what do we feel is most Essendon. It is ridiculous. The towel draped on the black with red shorts was a disgrace and shamed our traditional jumper by bastardising it to the point that it looked terrible.

I initially wanted a white away strip because I think they look the best and was opposed to the grey but I've come around. If grey, which, if it feels any better is generally the colour of fighter jets and bombers, was not an Essendon colour it now is because no one else uses it. That we've used the grey jumper as a backing for the original jumper makes about as much sense as anything else.

If you like the look of the grey I think the one thing that we should hope for, assuming that we'll always be forced to have the clash strip, is that it never changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back