Picola & District NW 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to a couple of old foes from jerilderie they believe they would not be competitive I reckon they would be , hardest thing would be tough games week in week out

The decision to change leagues shouldn't be based on the senior football side. Netball numbers, senior numbers, junior numbers and the amount of travelling etc are all factors. If we were in the Murray League Jerilderie would be the most remote making recruitment more difficult not the mention the required increase in budget. Also the junior numbers are not the best in the 3rds, great talent there but the numbers are not the strongest. I believe the club is in the right league. Minimal travelling and able to stay competitive without having to spend a fortune. Our biggest asset is the fact the ex juniors and players with ties to the town are keen to travel home to play from Albury, Melb etc, without them there would be a massive hole in the side.
Strathy would be in the best position to have another crack at Murray League, netballers always successful, senior, 2nds always up there and the have great junior numbers. But I think if you ask anyone from Strathy they would be quite happy in the PDFL. Not everything in life is measured by the fact you have or haven't played Murray League.

My tips for this weekend:
Seniors: Jerilderie
Reserves: Strathy
Thirds: Rovers
Fourths: Rovers

A Grade: Strathy
B Grade: Blighty
C Grade: Rovers in extra time
C-Res: Rovers
17's: Jeriderie
15's: Blighty
13's: Jerilderie

Umm I was in the very middle of that Never felt i was in danger and being female finding myself in the middle of it I was far from happy with it that's for sure. It was a Shepp east bloke who was their reserves timekeeper who threw the beer on our reserves timekeeper as they had been arguing over would you believe it Shepp East thinking we weren't good enough for the league.
I never knew the rumour was knives were pulled. That's funny how people get carried away with rumours.

Blighty won the game, blighty won the fight and we got rid of them by splitting the league end of that season.

Thanks Gman I wasn't on here then at least I can clear that up now.

Not sure why would need to bring this up gorillaman from 6 years ago, yes there are worse sides then Mathoura but to bring 2 other Picola League sides into the conversation with false accusations (not the smartest thing you have said Roar) is probably not the way to go about it..

On the incident itself I was in the middle of it as well Wilty and agree there defiantly were no knives involved and it was controlled pretty quickly, not sure where your story about a shepp east timekeeper threw beer over your timekeeper has come from, as it was a shepp east player who had it thrown over him and it erupted from there, but anyway there will always be 2 sides to the story and different opinions..

Yes Blighty won the game. The fight, well that could be argued, I wouldn't agree with your opinion on that, but it wasn't a boxing ring and I dont think anyone was a winner out of it as it was an ordinary scene after a game of football. And you didn't get rid of shepp east, the league simply split for the better. Since then both sides and have played against each other in prac matches with no issues during or after the games.

As you wilty, I was not on here 6 years ago so good to clear that up.. Time to move on from an incident that happened that long ago..

Hopefully Mathoura and the league can sort out there issues and Mathoura can host a successful 2015 grandfinal.

Not sure why would need to bring this up gorillaman from 6 years ago, yes there are worse sides then Mathoura but to bring 2 other Picola League sides into the conversation with false accusations (not the smartest thing you have said Roar) is probably not the way to go about it..

On the incident itself I was in the middle of it as well Wilty and agree there defiantly were no knives involved and it was controlled pretty quickly, not sure where your story about a shepp east timekeeper threw beer over your timekeeper has come from, as it was a shepp east player who had it thrown over him and it erupted from there, but anyway there will always be 2 sides to the story and different opinions..

Yes Blighty won the game. The fight, well that could be argued, I wouldn't agree with your opinion on that, but it wasn't a boxing ring and I dont think anyone was a winner out of it as it was an ordinary scene after a game of football. And you didn't get rid of shepp east, the league simply split for the better. Since then both sides and have played against each other in prac matches with no issues during or after the games.

As you wilty, I was not on here 6 years ago so good to clear that up.. Time to move on from an incident that happened that long ago..

Hopefully Mathoura and the league can sort out there issues and Mathoura can host a successful 2015 grandfinal.

Hahaha truth be known I had to get my brother-in-law to pull our troublemaker out before he got hurt. Haha

Despite what happened being pretty ordinary, I thought both clubs worked really well and quickly to resolve something that could have got out of hand. Your officials were quick to get into our rooms to exchange apologies. That's the important bit I think being missed how well the clubs managed something that just kinda blew up.
Definately no bad blood between the two.

It's important that even if there are personal differences and we say we hate this club or that club at the end of the day we are all footy people and none of us want to see any club struggling. We all know how important a club is to its community.

Mathaz you seem to be taking the change of venue so personally but all posters have said we want you to have another chance and so did the league. perhaps realise that for the league safety issues can pose a big risk if the unimaginable did happen. The league has an obligation to protect all clubs.

we all need to be willing to cooperate and put the best face for the league forward.

We all know the struggles you have had and we want you to have the granny to give you a boost and I'm sure next year you will do a cracking job.

Who's tipping who in the big dance shut big Purcell down and cut maysies run you would think the dogs will get over the top, personally I think strathy for an upset with there pace displaying what they did last week could possibly bring down the powerhouse of our league, I'm hoping only a kick in it for an exciting game for all to see. Best of luck to strathy and jerilderie and all other sides competing, record gates as entry fees have gone up again.

Good luck to Yarra and Tunga GF hosts this weekend. It's a big weekend for the Moira Shire! I wonder if there's any works required by Moira Shire in the near future? I'd hate there to be a conflict of interest.

The PDFNL board members and where those who have a conflict remove them selves . Last years decision was unanimous as was this years from those who didn't vote this year, due to conflict of interest .

Who's tipping who in the big dance shut big Purcell down and cut maysies run you would think the dogs will get over the top, personally I think strathy for an upset with there pace displaying what they did last week could possibly bring down the powerhouse of our league, I'm hoping only a kick in it for an exciting game for all to see. Best of luck to strathy and jerilderie and all other sides competing, record gates as entry fees have gone up again.

I'll take Strathy 4 goals

Tyrone downie the medal and at least 6 goals

A real Murray League feel in the NW with Jerilderie, Strathmerton, Berrigan and Tocumwal all once calling it home. What an evolution the league has made in the last 20 years.

I think it reflects the population growth of some of the bigger towns in the murray league vs the population inertia or even decline in some of the villages that have switched to pdfnl. Interesting fact :Strathy joined the picola league 2 years after it was formed in 1934 and won premierships in 36 and 37 Before returning to the Murray league. ( so strathy actually have the oldest relationship tho the pdfnl of any of the current clubs)We then struggled to be competitive untill the soldier settlement and irrigation schemes boosted population in the surrounding farming areas. Strathmertons 2 mfl flags 56 and 64 came
during this time. After which we struggled over the next 30 years in the mfl playing in only one losing GF in 75. Bottom line our story is similar to many farming towns in the picola league, left behind by the tourism, industry and commerce related to bigger towns. It will be interesting over time how the fit is for toc?

I think it reflects the population growth of some of the bigger towns in the murray league vs the population inertia or even decline in some of the villages that have switched to pdfnl. Interesting fact :Strathy joined the picola league 2 years after it was formed in 1934 and won premierships in 36 and 37 Before returning to the Murray league. ( so strathy actually have the oldest relationship tho the pdfnl of any of the current clubs)We then struggled to be competitive untill the soldier settlement and irrigation schemes boosted population in the surrounding farming areas. Strathmertons 2 mfl flags 56 and 64 came
during this time. After which we struggled over the next 30 years in the mfl playing in only one losing GF in 75. Bottom line our story is similar to many farming towns in the picola league, left behind by the tourism, industry and commerce related to bigger towns. It will be interesting over time how the fit is for toc?
Yes , I see what your saying, .
One point I present is the fact that Strathy, Toc and the Yarra grasshoppers, have an advantage in being so close to major centres such as Cobram, Shepparton and even Barooga ( with its population growth over the years) where they may gain players from these centres. Same as Deniliquin, where the Rovers and Blighty can gain players. No issues with that.
But towns like Berrigan and Jerilderie don't have that luxury.... especially Jerilderie .... so I give great accolades to Jerilderie and their acheivements over the past few years. A sign of a footy club that is being well run.

One point I present is the fact that Strathy, Toc and the Yarra grasshoppers, have an advantage in being so close to major centres such as Cobram, Shepparton and even Barooga ( with its population growth over the years) where they may gain players from these centres. Same as Deniliquin, where the Rovers and Blighty can gain players. No issues with that.
But towns like Berrigan and Jerilderie don't have that luxury.... especially Jerilderie .... so I give great accolades to Jerilderie and their acheivements over the past few years. A sign of a footy club that is being well run.

Maybe, maybe not. I would say it can work in the opposite way. You can find yourself competing for the same player with a club with a much bigger budget. Yeah there are more players around but also a lot more clubs for them to be spread around. One thing we agree on is that clubs that are consistantly successful on field are usually consistantly well run off field.... usually...

Maybe, maybe not. I would say it can work in the opposite way. You can find yourself competing for the same player with a club with a much bigger budget. Yeah there are more players around but also a lot more clubs for them to be spread around. One thing we agree on is that clubs that are consistantly successful on field are usually consistantly well run off field.... usually...

Yes that can be the scenario....But one must give credit to Jerilderie and Berrigan for the success they have achieved over the past 5 seasons with no big budgets, geographically have no large towns close to them, yet have born and bred players that have moved to larger towns for employment but still are prepared to travel to play for their beloved club.As they say, success breeds success.
As of returning to the Murray league,,, I don't think so. Would not be able to be competitive in this comp anymore. In fact, im amazed at the success of Finley in this league... another great story of a well run club.

Roars comments were about the grand final, a combination of strathy and jerilderie . If all that talent was in the jerilderie side I would have the tattoo booked in already . Ha ha

Gee Mac, Having seen the first Tat woulndnt you be staying away from the ink bottle.:p Once bitten twice shy..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a great senior GF, very fitting that they play off again in 2014, both teams have easily been the best 2 sides in the last 2 years.
I watched their last game in Jerilderie (second semi?) and if the GF is half as good a game then everyone will get their money's worth. Haven't seen Tyrone Downie play before but he could prove to be the difference from what is getting around. If Strathy keen keep Az quiet then they will be a huge show - they just don't seem to have a good match up for him, too strong for the quicker blokes and too quick for the bigger blokes. Hopefully the final margin is less than a kick either way. Good luck to both sides and good luck to the Rovers juniors in the 4ths & 3rds, the Joeys looking to go back to back.

I'll take Strathy 4 goals

Tyrone downie the medal and at least 6 goals

Will carter return for the granny or is his wrist gone?? Also tejones hammy was no good last week would think he would be right tho. ?? After one game in 4 weeks the demons should be at full strength mac??

Last edited:

Will carter return for the granny or is his wrist gone?? Also tejones hammy was no good last week would think he would be right tho. ?? After one game in 4 weeks the demons should be at full strength mac??

Yer full list to choose from. Couple missing out so it makes it a bit easier on selection with the 2 nds playing as well.

Any truth to the rumour my old mate nick braybon is heading to the Deni rovers for the 2015 season, great pick up if so.

Yes that's been announced officially.
Agree great pick up and I expect rovers to be back pretty competitive in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back