News New CEO - Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's admittedly still learning the AFL environment, Port and/or North making a grand final would be the worst possible thing to happen this week. It would only suggest that making 5th/6th is good enough.

If there's one thing we don't need him to think, it's that.

On the way home from work thought I would do a lil Googling on the guy. My first impression before this was a positive one, purely as it was not Smart or Haysman.

But came across this article when he left the Brumbies and the parrallels towards what he did there and what our club needs done are uncanny.

“But with the sale of the Griffith site, construction of our new facility at UC taking shape, the new coaching framework settled and a healthy sponsorship program in place, it became clear that now is the best time for a successful transition.

“He’s done many great things for the Brumbies, first as General Manager and then as CEO. He’s led the organisation back to the top of the Super Rugby world, managed the sale of our headquarters at Griffith, our transition to the University of Canberra and built a solid financial and high performance culture.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/brumbies-ceo-andrew-fagan-resigns/

The challenges facing us right now include
  • Negotiating a move of training facility, it is going to happen sooner than later.
  • Improve our financials and sponsors to compete with the bigger AFL clubs, ie Collingwood/WCE.
  • Change in Football Department staff/structure
All things that he has proven success in doing at the Brumbies.

It is clear he is the number one choice when you see what he achieved at the Brumbies and what needs to be done at our club.

The other candidate that the SA Media and misguided Tealsters thought had the job has no proven record in any of these areas.

If you're going to bring that up then you should also mention four teams, not eight, made the finals in Super Rugby for most of his tenure with the Brumbies. They only expanded it to six teams very recently. It's a tad harder to make Super Rugby finals than AFL finals.
In case no one has asked yet, how many teams are there in total?

I swear I can see Chapman wince when the new CEO mentioned improving the football department. I can see how that meeting will go.

Fagan: "Why does David Noble have 6 different jobs?"
Chapman: "I wasn't at that meeting."
& why do the other 12 general managers do less than noble on his own...

Brumbies are always competing against bigger franchises in NSW and Qld. They bat above their weight as far as I am concerned.
Also another parallel to us.

We are based in a smaller town to our major rivals. Fagan has the runs on the board to work with that and not just compete, but beat the franchises from the bigger markets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brumbies are the most successful Australian team in Super Rugby - having more success than the other four teams combined.

This looks like a brilliant pick up, and appears to want to repair the damage caused by Trigg, especially in member/supporter engagement.

Now to get rid of Chapman.

To summarise my feelings.....

unexpected-erections-1088028-TwoByOne.jpg
Which one are you?

Just saw Fagan got named. I've been working at the ARU for the last few months and have had a little to do with him. He's a very impressive guy. He put the recently established NRC together with a couple of other executives with very little time and resources and has managed to put together a competition where all teams are financially viable (and forecasted to make a profit) which, while it might not seem like a huge achievement, the last time this kind of comp was tried, the ARU lost $5 million in a single season.

Very capable guy. I think this is going to prove to be a very astute hire by the Crows.

Was it 15 when it was 4 teams making the finals?

No, 12. Between 97 and 04 the Brumbies played in 6 final series (4 grand finals) for 2 flags. Finished top on 3 of those years. And after 04 were mostly just outside the 4 with a game or less keeping them out.

Changed to a final 6 in 2011 when it became 15 teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back