Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, given the amount of 29+ players we already have, I'm not in love with the idea of picking up another one anyway.

Of course, if you want to offload Stringer or Bontempelli, you know where to find us ;)
shame you dont have a young gazza
even then we might consider it :p

Grant is such a weird player, is there anyone he compares to in the AFL? The guy just needs to get his head right and he can actually be anything and a huge POD to our side but times definitely running out, thought the penny had finally dropped and it really sucks that he hasn't had too much luck this year. Keep him on the list next year, set some requirements he absolutely has to meet, explain them too him and make it very very clear that if he doesn't meet them he will either be delisted or traded and it's 100% on him what he wants to do. And just hope to god he pulls his finger out because he brings a ridiculous amount of xfactor.

What about some of his goals he's kicks in recent weeks. Out of midair from a ruck hit out... Chase down and tackle + commando roll and kick off ground all within the space of a few seconds.

Thought he was trying hard on the weekend and laid a few awesome tackles after great chase downs (he's ******* fast that's for sure) and a couple of bumps, he's honestly looking stronger just needs to find a way to impact when he's not on, story of our forwards life's :(

If Macca can get Grant and Jones to turn it around (as unlikely as it's looking at this stage) that would be a huge huge plus for him. I think we honestly just need a highly consistent forward, they don't need to be a star just give us the output we know we will get from them week in week out, then have Jones and Grant being freaks alongside them and causing an absolute nightmare for oppo defenders with their xfactor and chase downs (when they want to)
Gunston

Grant is such a weird player, is there anyone he compares to in the AFL? The guy just needs to get his head right and he can actually be anything and a huge POD to our side but times definitely running out, thought the penny had finally dropped and it really sucks that he hasn't had too much luck this year. Keep him on the list next year, set some requirements he absolutely has to meet, explain them too him and make it very very clear that if he doesn't meet them he will either be delisted or traded and it's 100% on him what he wants to do. And just hope to god he pulls his finger out because he brings a ridiculous amount of xfactor.

What about some of his goals he's kicks in recent weeks. Out of midair from a ruck hit out... Chase down and tackle + commando roll and kick off ground all within the space of a few seconds.

Thought he was trying hard on the weekend and laid a few awesome tackles after great chase downs (he's ******* fast that's for sure) and a couple of bumps, he's honestly looking stronger just needs to find a way to impact when he's not on, story of our forwards life's :(

If Macca can get Grant and Jones to turn it around (as unlikely as it's looking at this stage) that would be a huge huge plus for him. I think we honestly just need a highly consistent forward, they don't need to be a star just give us the output we know we will get from them week in week out, then have Jones and Grant being freaks alongside them and causing an absolute nightmare for oppo defenders with their xfactor and chase downs (when they want to)
Chris Mayne

Would not do that give our second and Wil for their First.
...isn't that the deal I just said?

FWIW, I don't want to trade Will, I just think that's what the deal would be.

fpm84 Would Geelong's 1st + Smedts for Will and our 3rd rounder be outrageous? Considering the pick is a late first and ours an early 3rd rounder. Will has a good 3-4 years left in him as a quality #1 ruckman and would probably even be better for you guys having a few good options to give him and rest and chop out during games. Not sure how high you guys still are on Smedts.

Alternatively, your 2nd round pick + Smedts for just Will might not be too far away value wise. Not sure if many here would love it, but it would be something i'm interested in.

Minson is contracted for another 2 years. I doubt we'd want to trade him either, as it'd just leave us with Cordy and Campbell. I also don't think he'd want to leave.

Trading Will for anything short of a solid B grade KPP or a top 10 pick is madness.

Nothing wrong with a trade but it has to make sense and strengthen us.

Lake, as good as he has been in big games has not played a lot in the home and away.

Will can ruck for a good 3 or 4 more years and has much more value at this stage of his career

I also don't think he'd want to leave.

I've spoken to him a few times. We've talked before how handy it is that the Whitten Oval is close to the CBD and the convenience of it from where he lives. Examples of how it would suck going out to Seaford, Tullamarine and Cranbourne were joked about :p

I know it has been mentioned before, but I wonder how serious we are about turning Roughy into a forward (I've heard club staff say it numerous times in the media), and if that starts next year? Talia and Fletch coming on. Zaine Cordy and Durdin look likely in the draft. If we are our trade/draft strategies might be different to what people are expecting.

Really hope Jones and Wood stick around.
I havent heard anything...can u fill me in on who and where? please :)

Of course, if you want to offload Stringer or Bontempelli, you know where to find us ;)

Pity they don't allow you to trade future picks.... That way you could offer your first round picks for the next 5 years and we'd still tell you where to shove it.... :p

Trading Will for anything short of a solid B grade KPP or a top 10 pick is madness.

Lake, as good as he has been in big games has not played a lot in the home and away.

Will can ruck for a good 3 or 4 more years and has much more value at this stage of his career
Lake won a Norm Smith. Biggest no brainer trade in Hawthorn's history.

...isn't that the deal I just said?

FWIW, I don't want to trade Will, I just think that's what the deal would be.

I was trying to say there is no way I would do the deal you were suggesting no chance I would even contemplate it.

I would go further and say with a player like Wil unless the deal is an obvious advantage to us then I would not even contemplate it.

I am a believer that there are some players who are the fabric of the club and in some ways untouchable and I consider Wil one of those players.

It does not mean you would not trade him but realistically you wont get a trade where it is so much to your advantage that your hand is forced. Those deal don't occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok let's just say we do a trade with Geelong for pick 14, with the idea of offering pick 6 and 14 for something, what do expect we could get for that?

Ok let's just say we do a trade with Geelong for pick 14, with the idea of offering pick 6 and 14 for something, what do expect we could get for that?

Add something decent onto that and I would be going straight to Tom Lynch with a mil in the pocket / 7 + years.

Or just hit the draft again with 5, 14 and say 27 and go

Pick 5: Wright/McCartin/Durdin/Lever
Pick 14: Goddard/Duggan/Marchbank
Pick 27: If we went Duggan McKenzie or Keitel.

We could almost get 3 KPP's of quality in the one draft.

Last edited:
If Jones wants out I'd try and get the best possible thing we can get for that. Trade pick 14 for Reid and hope like * McCartin slips to 5. Take Menadue with the Jones pick. Reid slots into CHF/2nd ruck, McCartin into FF and Menadue as that outside flair were looking for. Noice.

I've spoken to him a few times. We've talked before how handy it is that the Whitten Oval is close to the CBD and the convenience of it from where he lives. Examples of how it would suck going out to Seaford, Tullamarine and Cranbourne were joked about :p
I agree cranbourne is s**t

I have always thought that perhaps Grant might be a reasonable hbf type. I reckon he could do a similar type of role as Jasper Pittard at Port.
He is fast, he can tackle and chase strongly. I just think where he has an open field ahead of him he could be ultra damaging.
Accountability for a direct opponent might be the best thing ever for him.

Just on Grant, do people forget that he broke his foot and missed a good chunk of the pre and early part of the season. Finally got back into the side only to have his nose badly broken.
So a season very much derailed by injury, so mayhap he could get a little leeway.

I havent heard anything...can u fill me in on who and where? please :)

Not talking about the last few weeks or anything. But over the last year or two I've definitely heard club staff talking on the media saying they think Roughy will end up as a forward. Pretty sure Scarlett or Mooney was talking about it a while back, seemed to think Roughy would become a very good forward. Anyone else recall hearing along these lines before?

Not talking about the last few weeks or anything. But over the last year or two I've definitely heard club staff talking on the media saying they think Roughy will end up as a forward. Pretty sure Scarlett or Mooney was talking about it a while back, seemed to think Roughy would become a very good forward. Anyone else recall hearing along these lines before?
I can't recall that but Scarlo and Moons always go at each other when picking players.
Scarlo wanted Stringer as a defender but Moons wanted him as a forward.
Good to see the old mates having a crack at each other and helping develop the boys.

Lake won a Norm Smith. Biggest no brainer trade in Hawthorn's history.
Where was he going to play for us?
How many games has he played this year?

Lake is sill capable of 6 great games a year. For a club in Hawthorns position ideal. For a club developing a back 6 that needs players week in week out, a lot less value.

Minson can play 22 games a year for at least the next three years. The trades would not be comparable in any way

I would go further and say with a player like Wil unless the deal is an obvious advantage to us then I would not even contemplate it.

I am a believer that there are some players who are the fabric of the club and in some ways untouchable and I consider Wil one of those players.

It does not mean you would not trade him but realistically you wont get a trade where it is so much to your advantage that your hand is forced. Those deal don't occur.
Fully agree, trading picks for Will outside the top 10, why oh why

My prediction for the trade period.
Minno will stay
Jones, tutt, Wood and higgins will stay
Dogs to make a play for a key forward but ultimately fail due to high price.
Trade for a fringe player key position player.
Go to the draft and get 3 KPP

Fully agree, trading picks for Will outside the top 10, why oh why
Won't happen. Although he started the year injured and his end of year meeting full of home truths, the gauntlet has been laid down and I reckon we'll see the 2013 version of him take the field in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back