A Tassie Team...Why it can help the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good. The Tasmanian deal is a rort for Hawthorn and North Melbourne. There should be a variety of teams playing in Tasmania. The benefits are:

1) - give the punters a variety of teams to look at, ** and
2) also eliminates teams getting an unfair advantage from being defacto landlords in Launceston, Hobart. Hawthorn getting 15 million sponsorship purely on the AFL setting them up as the only landlords is a defacto rort.

You could have
3 games in Hobart eg
Western Bulldogs vs Fremantle
North Melbourne vs Adelaide
Hawthorn vs Brisbane..

Then the next year you have 3 matches in Launceston

St Kilda vs Geelong
North Melbourne vs West Coast
Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne

That is fairer to the punters - who get a variety of teams, fairer to the tax payers of Tasmania - a state that is broke after 10 years of a greens/labor alliance - and fairer to the AFL teams. It doesn't create an unfair advantage to one team over 4 or 5 competitors.

** at present the Launceston crowd get to see similar teams against Hawthorn each year that they progressively flog year after year. Sydney is about the only team to beat them in the last two years.
If our advantage annoys you so much why don't you lobby your club to do the same?

I'd love to see a team in Tasmania, but more for emotional reasons than cold, hard business reasons. Having been there recently, Hobart probably isn't big enough to support a team on its own and while sharing a team with Launceston would probably provide enough financial support, it seems like a no-go, given the north/south rivalry.

Not sure I would want to see a 19th team though, so would either have to come in along with a 20th team or merge two of the Melbourne clubs (a fraught process).

I'd love to see a team in Tasmania, but more for emotional reasons than cold, hard business reasons. Having been there recently, Hobart probably isn't big enough to support a team on its own and while sharing a team with Launceston would probably provide enough financial support, it seems like a no-go, given the north/south rivalry.

Not sure I would want to see a 19th team though, so would either have to come in along with a 20th team or merge two of the Melbourne clubs (a fraught process).

Wrong. We have two grounds but only want one team. Why have the AFL allowed 2 teams to play here? Thats the question.

Wrong. We have two grounds but only want one team. Why have the AFL allowed 2 teams to play here? Thats the question.
You believe fans in Launceston will back a team based in Hobart for half the season, and vice versa? Genuine question, as I didn't think it was likely. Also, would people from Hobart drive to Launceston regularly to watch a game, given the population of Launceston is pretty small?

A team in Tasmania would be ace, hope it happens soon. I don't see any reason this would affect North Melbourne/Hawthorns current Tasmania games deal, either (at least not for the first decade).
As soon as the deal came in, any sponsorship of North or Hawthorn deals would obviously cease though, so the games wouldn't be there anymore.

You believe fans in Launceston will back a team based in Hobart for half the season, and vice versa? Genuine question, as I didn't think it was likely. Also, would people from Hobart drive to Launceston regularly to watch a game, given the population of Launceston is pretty small?

They do already. People from Hobart go up regularly. I know 'northerners' who came down for games at Boot Park. We have two grounds, might as well use them. Some people will always travel or sometimes travel, But they will at least go to watch games at the nearest ground. Having the two grounds will increase the teams local exposure & potential membership & support.

As soon as the deal came in, any sponsorship of North or Hawthorn deals would obviously cease though, so the games wouldn't be there anymore.

Why would that be the case?. I would have thought the potential for sponsorship would rise. More games, different teams etc. Far more exposure for a sponsor. Obvious I would have thought.

Why would that be the case?. I would have thought the potential for sponsorship would rise. More games, different teams etc. Far more exposure for a sponsor. Obvious I would have thought.
So, you think the Tasmanian government would continue to sponsor a Victorian team when there is a Tasmanian team playing in the league that desperately needs sponsorship? There isn't that much Tasmanian sponsorship based to go around. Also, why would they continue to pay an exorbitant amount to have games in Tassie, when there is already 11 games a year there. Because of this, the value of the games would be diminished and accordingly so would the sponsorship IMO.

So, you think the Tasmanian government would continue to sponsor a Victorian team when there is a Tasmanian team playing in the league that desperately needs sponsorship? There isn't that much Tasmanian sponsorship based to go around. Also, why would they continue to pay an exorbitant amount to have games in Tassie, when there is already 11 games a year there. Because of this, the value of the games would be diminished and accordingly so would the sponsorship IMO.

I misread your post, sorry.
I thought you meant the sponsorship would cease for the Tassie team as well.
Yes of course the money for Hawthorn & North would cease & they would presumably play more games in Melbourne, maybe in regional Victoria too.
A Tassie team would gain the current sponsorship & presumably more from other sources as well

I misread your post, sorry.
I thought you meant the sponsorship would cease for the Tassie team as well.
Yes of course the money for Hawthorn & North would cease & they would presumably play more games in Melbourne, maybe in regional Victoria too.
A Tassie team would gain the current sponsorship & presumably more from other sources as well
That's my thoughts. They may even pull in some other sponsorship of mainland teams like the Mars sponsorship of Carlton.

While I like the sentiment, the problem is the time...

The Tasmanian population is shrinking (currently relatively, but forecasts have the population declining in absolute terms within 10-20 years as well).

So an already marginal case will get worse the longer it takes to make the decision, meaning the more things are delayed, the less likely it is to happen.

While I like the sentiment, the problem is the time...

The Tasmanian population is shrinking (currently relatively, but forecasts have the population declining in absolute terms within 10-20 years as well).

So an already marginal case will get worse the longer it takes to make the decision, meaning the more things are delayed, the less likely it is to happen.

I wondered how long it'd be before you reply:p

We've been through all this stuff a number of times. The AFL will take everything on board, politics, finances, economics, demographics, climate, ergonomics, astrology, tea leaves & whatever else they fancy at the time.

Then they will decide to consider these areas of inquiry. Then commission some group write a report. Then set up a working party who will make certain recommendations of what to consider, then ----- etc etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not? People from up North support the Hobart Hurricanes as a state team.

I live in a Hobart and 100% agree that the home games would have to be split 50/50 between North and South. It it the only way it could work.
Both grounds can hold around 20K at the moment which would be enough as a start (with a view to increase with crowd demand)
The fact that each city would host 6 or 7 games would keep the fans hungry!
The club could attract a national sponsor and I believe membership could be over 50K with a strong presence in Melbourne(similar to Sydney and Brisbane)
It would surprise how many expat Tasmanians are living in Victoria... After all it was settled by Tasmanians;).

But in saying that I doubt it will happen anytime soon and I can understand the reasons why. I wouldn't wish a merger on any club and further expansion is unlikely for some time.

I have dreamed of this since I was a kid and it seems just as far away now as it did in the mid 90's.

agree ... 19 teams , 9 games a week , 1 bye

in a perfect world 9 home games , 9 away games

wild card play offs 7-10 before the finals start !!

tasmania deserves to be in the big league !!

Launceston to Hobart is ok at 2 Hrs
Then you have Devonport to Hobart at 3 Hrs, Burnie to Hobart at 3 and a half to 4 Hrs.
Devonport's population is 30000, Burnie 20000.

Hobart and Launceston is where you are going to get majority of the support.

It's like people in Albury or Echuca or Mildura have to travel 3+ hours if they want to go to the footy, people of Devonport and Burnie are lucky they get 4 games in Launceston within an hour's travel.

Devonport's population is 30000, Burnie 20000.

Hobart and Launceston is where you are going to get majority of the support.

It's like people in Albury or Echuca or Mildura have to travel 3+ hours if they want to go to the footy, people of Devonport and Burnie are lucky they get 4 games in Launceston within an hour's travel.

Yes. The games in Launnie are an hour from Devonport & another 30 mins from Burnie. So what is the problem with that? If they dont want to drive to Hobart then thats their choice. Some no doubt would come down & stay overnight. Again its their choice.

Saying it should just be in Launnie is silly & economic stupidity. Just like saying it should all be in Hobart. It'll only work if they use both grounds.

I see the proposal for a Tassie team to reenter the NBL is based on that new team playing games in Hobart, Launnie & Devonport. Thats a great idea.

I lived in Hobart for quite a few years thanks. Farking cold under the mountain. Defintely warmer in the North end of the state in winter.
I'm a northerner, first 26 years of my life. I never once experienced a day visiting Hobart in winter which made me think the place was colder than Launceston. Launceston hotter in summer and colder in winter definitely...

I'm a northerner, first 26 years of my life. I never once experienced a day visiting Hobart in winter which made me think the place was colder than Launceston. Launceston hotter in summer and colder in winter definitely...

In general terms yes.

Launnie is inland. Often gets very cold nights in winter. I dont think they get the fog like they use to. Hobart is on the coast, The Hobart weather is overall probably more changeable, a lot of chilly sea breezes bugger up a nice summers day ot two. Playing some cricket during the summer nights would be a winner in Launnie. However neither place is particularly wet. Every capital city except Adelaide gets more rain than Hobart. Indeed many winters days are cold or just cool & clear & the majority are good to get out in & go to the footy. A lot of winters days are quite nice & settled.

Like anywhere some days are crap, but not that many. Its the West coast & into the north west that gets most of the rain that seems to occupy the minds of some mainlanders. Its the west coast which has the Hydro electric Dams & the NWC which is such a rich &lush farming area. They do get the rain at times.

Their are other reasons as to why or why not we will ever get a team in the AFL. The weather is not an issue, except in some peoples minds who have probably never been here.

Day time, Hobart is generally (but not always cooler). From sunset until morning, Launceston is definitely colder and once in a while you get the day where it never warms up at all.
So much depends on the wind though. Get a south-westerly off the plateau and Launceston is shocking. Get the Antarctic Howler off the Derwent or the cold air tumbling off the mountain (the second one is not such an issue at Bellerive) and Hobart is no better.
The weather shouldn't be an issue. They schedule twilight games in Canberra, which is about the same as a night game at York Park.

You obviously never went outdoors on your trips to Hobart, I have spent some of the Coldest Days of my life sitting at North Hobart oval watching Footy ...the Gale force Winds blow straight up from the Arctic . And then to the Hobart Showgrounds to watch my Kids play soccer ....bloody freezing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back