News New CEO - Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

A very impressive and refreshing individual; hard to recall a more impressive appointment the club has made in recent times.

It does make one wonder what the last two years would have been like had the board accepted Trigg's resignation, as they should have, in October 2012. The fresh start we are enjoying now could have been had at that time, instead of what feels like two wasted years with the club carrying a massive albatross around its neck.

I think it was on record as being discussed in the minutes of one of the board meetings, but trigg said the deal was sorted out. But since hasn't chapman said he knew nothing about it. Something like that.
Chapman initially said he knew nothing about it.

Then the board minutes were leaked showing otherwise.

Since then he hasn't said anything.

I know it doesn't matter, for me Fagen is a fantastic appointment but does anyone know for sure if he was our first choice?, It just wouldn't make any sense to have a one trick pony like Haysmen as a front runner as the paps claim on their board, over someone with the credentials of Fagen.

Why are people saying Chapman looks worried/intimidated/whatever?

Chapman just appointed the guy, he's not going to be knifed by him tomorrow, if at all, and if Fagan does try to shift Chapman on it won't be a fight. It can't be, because the CEO has no legal authority.

Hemi, totes respect for you old son, whenever an opinion is needed on corporate governance I look for yours first ;)

Chapman just looked nervous to me. What do you expect when he knows he's on camera to thousands of angry fans who would want to pitch fork him if they thought the club made the wrong decision.

I'm one of the people who said he looks worried / intimidated etc.

Per the bolded bit, I suspect you're right, but it seems very out of place. Based on past behaviour, I'd think he'd not be too fussed about what the fans thought, and if you'd just pulled off this coup of a hire, wouldn't you be smiling ear to ear? I guess he must be afraid of being pitchforked off the gravy train...

Why are people saying Chapman looks worried/intimidated/whatever?

Chapman just appointed the guy, he's not going to be knifed by him tomorrow, if at all, and if Fagan does try to shift Chapman on it won't be a fight. It can't be, because the CEO has no legal authority.

Agreed, seems a strange thing for everyone to be bringing up. I didn't even think he looked intimidated, just kind of uncomfortable, which is exactly how you would look when your role is to sit in front of the cameras and say almost nothing while someone else answers questions.

Agreed, seems a strange thing for everyone to be bringing up. I didn't even think he looked intimidated, just kind of uncomfortable, which is exactly how you would look when your role is to sit in front of the cameras and say almost nothing while someone else answers questions.

Bit like when the AFL forced at least one player from each club to attend the coaches press conferences.

I know it doesn't matter, for me Fagen is a fantastic appointment but does anyone know for sure if he was our first choice?, It just wouldn't make any sense to have a one trick pony like Haysmen as a front runner as the paps claim on their board, over someone with the credentials of Fagen.

Chapman has said Fagan was head and shoulders above the other candiadates. That's a pretty bold statement to make if you in fact offerred the job to someone else. It doesn't mean its true (as Chapman has form for porkys) but it is certainly more reliable than what some poster on BF said on the Port board.

The amusing thing is that certain numnuts on the Port board, especailly a certain poster that likes to believe in his intellectual superiority, are taking it as a fact that Haysman was our first choice. Now sure, there is room for doubt, but there is absolutely no basis for stating this as a fact and then using it to make childish insults about the AFC.

Either way, Fagan will be judged on performance and so in the end it doesn't matter.

Hey guys

I've known Andrew personally for almost 15 years and worked very very closely with him over that time. He is an OUTSTANDING get. Outstanding.

He's ridiculously intelligent, works like buggery and has big big ideas. He completely set the brumbies up financially forever more with the property stuff he nailed and their partnership with Uni of Canberra.

You guys are in great hands. Congrats.

Hemi, totes respect for you old son, whenever an opinion is needed on corporate governance I look for yours first ;)

I'm one of the people who said he looks worried / intimidated etc.

Per the bolded bit, I suspect you're right, but it seems very out of place. Based on past behaviour, I'd think he'd not be too fussed about what the fans thought, and if you'd just pulled off this coup of a hire, wouldn't you be smiling ear to ear? I guess he must be afraid of being pitchforked off the gravy train...

To be honest , I actually thought Chapman looked smug in the presser.

Thought he looked very proud of himself/ the board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5AA interview is up.

Chapman has said Fagan was head and shoulders above the other candiadates. That's a pretty bold statement to make if you in fact offerred the job to someone else. It doesn't mean its true (as Chapman has form for porkys) but it is certainly more reliable than what some poster on BF said on the Port board.

The amusing thing is that certain numnuts on the Port board, especailly a certain poster that likes to believe in his intellectual superiority, are taking it as a fact that Haysman was our first choice. Now sure, there is room for doubt, but there is absolutely no basis for stating this as a fact and then using it to make childish insults about the AFC.

Either way, Fagan will be judged on performance and so in the end it doesn't matter.

From my view, Haysman may have been undermined while at Port, but experience wise he hasn't got the runs on the board from a sporting perspective. He may well have been highly qualified and been successful in the role, but was he the best? Given Fagan's success and experiences that made the successes occur, it seems like a no-brainer that he is on top of the list. I like that he knows about AFL, he has said he follows Sydney and Adelaide closely, so he is not starting from scratch like an international candidate. Being from outside the AFL, he no doubt has a unique perspective. He has made hard calls before and it looks like he won't suffer fools very well.

The impression I got in the interview is that some players should feel very nervous. Since it is the time of year to sort out the list, I bet he has some frank words with Noble and the list management team about under-performing players and to fix this up. Sounds like he starts in 3 weeks..... 21 days.... about right when list decisions are being made. Now I know he won't have direct input into which players, but at least he will be asking the list management team probing questions.

Heard him a couple of times this morning. The the thing I noticed was that he sounded very experienced in respect of club culture ie his focus is very much football - which may sound trite, but I think it's important that someone recognises the very simple fact that the core business is winning games of football. Everything else is a driver for that underlying requirement.

I thought it was interesting Rucci picked that up in his analysis, and has now nailed him to that agenda - win / loss % and trophy cabinet. Expect Rucci to be a dog with a bone on this and link those 2 things with Fagan at every opportunity.

I don't mind it though - Fagan has obviously been around professional sports enough to know that no one will give a flying f about Internet hits - his tenure will be about on field results and there seems little doubt he understands the core business

Best things about it:
  1. No old boys network - easily the single worst thing that can happen to Adelaide/South Australia sporting teams - SACA is the worst. But also he is not "Victorian" so doesn't bring with him that stench of someone who thinks SA does things the wrong way etc and needs to be more like Collingwood/Essendon etc etc
  2. Rucci et al had no idea. Excellent. OK not that rare, but still wonderful to see.
  3. Not Haysman. Seriously, why would you hire a bloke who is clearly a Port man?
  4. Not AFL. Am sick of the view that the CEO of a company needs to have played the game. Also sick of clubs saying they are looking far and wide and then appointing the bloke who sits in the office next door to the current CEO.
As with all CEO's you judge them by performance, but this looks a good pick for me. And at least shows the club being bold.

Best things about it:
  1. No old boys network - easily the single worst thing that can happen to Adelaide/South Australia sporting teams - SACA is the worst. But also he is not "Victorian" so doesn't bring with him that stench of someone who thinks SA does things the wrong way etc and needs to be more like Collingwood/Essendon etc etc
I think them hiring Tim Neilsen was a good thing. Not often the former National head coach comes back AFAIK.

I get the strong impression that in the past 12 months or so Port have poked the bear once too often.
It seems that the agitators have raised a few questions and the success over the road has awoken us from our zombie like state.

I love it. I have never been this optimistic about the club before. Never.

Time for us to flex our muscle and dominate this state and the AFL. I'm not expecting Fagan to make massive changes over the next few months, but I'd expect to see his fingerprints on a few moves by the this time next year. I sincerely hope he has all employees at the Crows shaking in their boots.

Hey guys

I've known Andrew personally for almost 15 years and worked very very closely with him over that time. He is an OUTSTANDING get. Outstanding.

He's ridiculously intelligent, works like buggery and has big big ideas. He completely set the brumbies up financially forever more with the property stuff he nailed and their partnership with Uni of Canberra.

You guys are in great hands. Congrats.

any chance of seeing you at the Adelaide Crows in the coming months?

I get the strong impression that in the past 12 months or so Port have poked the bear once too often.
It seems that the agitators have raised a few questions and the success over the road has awoken us from our zombie like state.

I love it. I have never been this optimistic about the club before. Never.

Time for us to flex our muscle and dominate this state and the AFL. I'm not expecting Fagan to make massive changes over the next few months, but I'd expect to see his fingerprints on a few moves by the this time next year. I sincerely hope he has all employees at the Crows shaking in their boots.

Excellent summation there DJ. :thumbsu:

Like you, this is the most optimistic I have been for years that the right building blocks for a successful future will be put in place.

The old boy's network is about to be smashed. Bye bye nepotism. I love his comment re putting the right people in the right seats.

It'll be interesting to see who's left and in what role in 12 months time. :)

:thumbsu:

No, that was a sarcastic comment...

Chapman looks worried though. I'm not sure why. I thought he would be grinning from ear to ear?

Interesting observation Dayton, picked up by some others too.

It could be understood if you accept, as most psychologists do, that there are two types of authority: positional authority and personal authority. Yes, Chapman is the Chairman and has the authority of that position but his personal authority is much diminished by his handling of (and probable lying about) the Tippett/Trigg fiasco. His judgement has also been questioned, for not accepting Trigg's resignation.

When he was sitting up there with Trigg it was two diminished personalities, both had lost personal authority.

Yes, Chappie has the position as Chairman, but AF comes in with immense personal authority. He's won the position, has an excellent track record, and of course has not yet fkd up. He has personal authority in spades as the new CEO. This should (I hope) last for quite a while. You can't appoint a new CEO and then dismiss his ideas and the way he goes about things - so AF rules!

Chappie's job now is to get out of the way.

Heard him a couple of times this morning. The the thing I noticed was that he sounded very experienced in respect of club culture ie his focus is very much football - which may sound trite, but I think it's important that someone recognises the very simple fact that the core business is winning games of football. Everything else is a driver for that underlying requirement.

I thought it was interesting Rucci picked that up in his analysis, and has now nailed him to that agenda - win / loss % and trophy cabinet. Expect Rucci to be a dog with a bone on this and link those 2 things with Fagan at every opportunity.

I don't mind it though - Fagan has obviously been around professional sports enough to know that no one will give a flying f about Internet hits - his tenure will be about on field results and there seems little doubt he understands the core business

If it keeps it at the forefront, then good!

We want a good win loss record. We want trophies. We want to be successful. And it sounds like Fagan does too. Lets hope he can walk as well as he talks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back