Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

There are so many people studying phys ed/human movement in Victoria in the hope of scoring a pe teaching gig, but the jobs are just not there. Look how many jobs are up on recruitment online for a pe position. Less than 10.

For anyone studying phys ed at uni looking at getting into teaching, make sure your second teaching method is something like maths.

Yep, in fact forget PE - do maths or science as your major

Hey mate
Since then I have put in placement requests and applications every year but apart from a couple of offers in complete woop woop (Fitzroy Crossing) I've had nothing. Lucky I didn't take them either cos you cant get permanency from doing rural work anymore apparently.

I went the other way, I worked in South Hedland last year, I figured, teaching in a tough low socio economic school surely will give me experience that will look good when applying for positions at other schools and it hasn't. Although I did enjoy my time and had some great experiences I'm in exactly the same situation as I was before, plus the heat up there did a number on my car lol

I had a friend who taught in Fitzroy Crossing and really enjoyed it. But lets hope these apparent teacher shortages they've talked about for years now actually happen.

Are u having much luck with relief work?

I went the other way, I worked in South Hedland last year, I figured, teaching in a tough low socio economic school surely will give me experience that will look good when applying for positions at other schools and it hasn't. Although I did enjoy my time and had some great experiences I'm in exactly the same situation as I was before, plus the heat up there did a number on my car lol

I had a friend who taught in Fitzroy Crossing and really enjoyed it. But lets hope these apparent teacher shortages they've talked about for years now actually happen.

That's f*cked dude! Cant believe the state of things and that even with remote school experience you cant get a job. A year in Hedland - Id rather s**t a chair.

All those bishes with permanency coming back from maternity leave and walking into any position they desire. Its absolute bullshit.

Im working full-time in another field so haven't been in the relief scene for a few years.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year that's for sure

Women returning from maternity have no greater entitlement than anyone else who has taken leave.They certainly do not get given the choice of position.Historically women have copped the wrong end of the stick due to their child rearing capacity.Initially they were not awarded permanency and subsequent to that forfeited permanency if they had time off to have kids.
The West Australian situation is that you are awarded a substantive position at a school with your permanency.You can then take all the various leaves available to you with the support of your principal and the position remains yours.The department can have a temp teacher in the same role for years and require them to apply for the job every year.
You're able to work in other schools/jobs etc for years while still retaining a permanent position with the ed dept at your original school.There are other categories such as supernumery and IEP or EIP or something which you become when your position at a school disappears but you keep your permanency.
Relief coordinators often run the relief roster like their own private labour supply company;providing work primarily for their partner and favoured friends.
The system is as crooked and perverse as any public service bureaucracy!

There's quite a bit of extra work as relief in the schools at the moment with the department asking staff to clear large amounts of long service leave, especially in many schools with lots of older staff. The same thing will happen next year too. After that, over the next 5 years there will be a lot of retirements.

I would honestly say there isn't a big shortage of teachers now, but who knows later. At my school there is a few maternity leaves, but that's it.

In regards to maternity leave, teachers who take it mostly only want to go back part time and that loses their ongoing status. They only keep it (in victoria) if they go back full time.

In Darwin they need teachers..

Hello there.

I have been teaching for a little over a year doing casual relief work, but my two-year provisional registration is due (This is in Victoria). I haven't collected enough evidence for teaching standard that's required for the report you need in order to apply for full registration. My main reason for this is because I haven't worked regularly in any one particular school with the same group of students. I would like more time to achieve the requirements for proficient teacher standards (full registration).

Has anyone extended their provisional registration a second term? Any hassles doing so?

I hear people's concerns about not even getting work in the remote places - I couldn't land a job in remote NT, so settled for casual relief teaching in rural Victoria. I do love casual relief teaching, though.

Hello there.

I have been teaching for a little over a year doing casual relief work, but my two-year provisional registration is due (This is in Victoria). I haven't collected enough evidence for teaching standard that's required for the report you need in order to apply for full registration. My main reason for this is because I haven't worked regularly in any one particular school with the same group of students. I would like more time to achieve the requirements for proficient teacher standards (full registration).

Has anyone extended their provisional registration a second term? Any hassles doing so?

I hear people's concerns about not even getting work in the remote places - I couldn't land a job in remote NT, so settled for casual relief teaching in rural Victoria. I do love casual relief teaching, though.

Central or North Queensland is your friend. There are plenty of jobs and the lifestyle is fantastic.

Hello there.

From what I understand, you need to write a letter to explain why you haven't completed it and want an extension.

I did see that on the online form. I predict many new teachers would request for the additional two-years provisional registration block, as many new teachers do not work often enough with the same group of students, and that seems a requirement for completing the tasks for full registration. Many fellow teachers online have stated they are having trouble finding regular work beyond casual relief teaching. I just haven't met any other teachers who hve actually gone through with the reuest in my CRT travels.

I'm thinking of changing courses into teaching. Just wondering, are there really a shortage of teachers in Victoria?

Everyone of our family friends who have done teaching have struggled with finding jobs but somehow I've heard from others that that is not the case.

Furthermore, if there is a shortage, is there a specific field of teaching that has high demand of teachers? i.e. Secondary school maths/science.

I'm thinking of changing courses into teaching. Just wondering, are there really a shortage of teachers in Victoria?

Everyone of our family friends who have done teaching have struggled with finding jobs but somehow I've heard from others that that is not the case.

Furthermore, if there is a shortage, is there a specific field of teaching that has high demand of teachers? i.e. Secondary school maths/science.
Math and science. Best prospects for getting work.

Most of Australia is in need for math and science teachers for middle school. It will be talked about in a couple of years if it isn't worked on soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue that you face is that although there may be a shortage of "maths/science teachers", the maths/science positions are still filled.

Each school needs to have contracted teachers in front of their classes for the start of each year, so, all positions within a school will be filled prior to the beginning of the school year (..except the occasional extreme circumstance, not worth talking about here).

What isn't happening, is that there are a bunch of year 8 classes around Victoria going to Maths and Science classes, sitting in an empty room with no teacher supervising.

So, essentially, the issue is with the quality/experience of the teacher, rather than the teacher them self.

There will always be work in Victoria for quality teachers of any discipline, but Maths/Science will have an easier time getting started than a Health/PE teacher.

The mistake that I think a lot of graduates make, is thinking that being a Good Student will make you a Good Teacher. That's simply not the case. Of course, a good student can be a good teacher, but a bad student can also be a good teacher.

To be a good teacher you should be:
- knowledgeable about your field (but able to follow prescribed curriculum -- particular for VCE teachers)
- dedicated
- like working with kids
- be a good role model
- form good relationships

If you are knowledgeable about your field but not much else, don't become a teacher. You won't like it. You will complain that you would be higher paid working in your field.

Wish there was some certainty or at least some definitive information out there about the chances of landing a secondary school teaching job next year in WA from the graduate pool. I teach PE and Science, but have said I'm willing to teach science fulltime.

Last edited:
Hello,
You are thinking about career option at correct time after schooling you should go for higher studies and if choosing the profession as teacher then plan accordingly to crack its exam.
All The Best..
Thank You

4 new maths positions in my high school. If you are in the Perth/Mandurah area with a maths major or minor PM me for details.

Hello there.

I've extended my provisional reg a couple of times and hope to do so again. I don't think they care too much if you are a CRT.

There a sweet fudge all jobs in Melbourne at the moment, especially for English and History. The PE teachers reackon there are none there either.
There might be a few in Maths & Science but the supposed teacher shortage is a farce.

Universities are currently churning out heaps of teaching graduates for an industry that doesn't need them. (Although, as an aside, some schools deliberately hire graduates to save money.)

I have applied for 35 jobs in the last 18 months. I'm currently working at one of the best private schools in Melbourne. I'm not going to get into it too much, but I've led Learning Teams, am an IT Mentor for other staff (both paid positons) & have had other various managerial roles.

Of the 35 jobs applied for, I have not had one interview. I'm full-time, on-going and good at what I do with awesome referres.

Just as a test, I applied for a few contract jobs and still didn't make the cut. I'm 8 years in & relatively young.

And before campaigners start saying "it's your resume", I've had a number of HR people go over it.

I'm not saying don't get into teaching, but just be cautious when they tell you about the jobs on offer

Missus just lost her job for next year teaching primary. Has been teaching for 8 years at the same school on a year by year contract. Luck ran out - c**ts returning from maternity leave and cruise ship holidays want their jobs back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back