Votes: 40 20.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

bigleague

All Australian
Apr 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Came across the NRL ring in the paper yesterday and I think the players would prefer the concept of a ring instead of a medal, I know it's very american (which makes it surprising the AFL haven't copied it) but I think it's more practical in that you could actually wear it rather than a medal which is tucked away in a drawer somewhere.

454450372-an-afl-premiers-2014-medal-on-display-during-gettyimages.jpg
231846-6c40b176-3bd7-11e4-a72c-a150e1dd0b7b.jpg

I don't think awards have to be practical in any way, but the ring does look nice. I would be happy to get either but just knowing you won is enough.

I'd say both. Premiership rings are a great idea, but I don't think they should entirely replace medals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember reading a few years ago that Geelong players actually organised to have premiership rings made after the 07 premiership, they did the same after the 09 premiership, but not sure about 2011. A lot of the players are big fans of American sports with the premiership ring which is why they decided to go down that path and the rings were presented at a special premiership lunch to honour the premiership team.

I guess if you have a ring you can wear it every day.

Although if I was a player I'd wear my medal every day too.

Wearing a ring every day would leave it prone to damage a lot more quickly than having a medal at home or wherever that you can show off at appropriate times. Leave it as a medal. That being said, if blokes want to have some kind of ring made up, all power to them.

I only have one ring that I wear, and I only have it on about half the time anyway.

Back