GWS
Tom Downie

downie_tom_o.png

Height: 203cm
Weight: 99kg
D/O/B: 27/4/1993
Position: Ruck

Last edited:
From the first day I saw this guy I thought he was a better tap ruck than Phillips at least. Good to see he already has a AFL start (a year and 4/5s is pretty fast turnaround for a project ruck).

Brogan has shown we don't necessarily need two mobile rucks so if he can at least help in the clearances that will be fantastic.

Nice background article on Tom

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/downies-way-giant-ruck-role/2709437/

THE shoes Tom Downie is filling don't get much bigger, but the young ruckman is taking it in his substantial stride.

The 22-year-old had played just one senior game in his three years when he was recalled to the GWS Giants' line-up two weeks ago to replace the injured Shane Mumford.

Name: Tom Downie

Number: 44

2015 Games: 13 NEAFL, 7 AFL

AFL Fantasy Average: 56

Awards: Nil

Background: The GIANTS selected ruckman Tom Downie with pick number 56 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft. He played one AFL game in 2013 before playing his next match in Round 14, 2015.

Best Game: AFL Round 22 v Carlton at Spotless Stadium – 11 disposals, 37 hit-outs, six marks, four tackles.

Summary: Tom Downie went almost two years without playing an AFL match but an opportunity opened in the seniors when Shane Mumford went down with an ankle against Collingwood in Round 11. Downie impressed with his workrate around the ground and willingness to improve. The Benalla big-man ended up playing seven games for the GIANTS and gained some invaluable experience at senior level.

Pat On The Back: Downie stood up when the club needed him most. His best game came against Carlton when he rucked the entire game against former Number One Draft pick Matthew Kreuzer and Cameron Wood.

What They Said: "You can clearly see that he wants to be one of those young rucks that take the opportunity that’s been created with Mumford’s injury.” GIANTS Coach Leon Cameron.

Look Ahead: Downie will takeaway a wealth of experience and confidence from his 2015 season. Expect the big-man to push for a more consistent senior spot next year.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-09-28/season-summary-tom-downie#sthash.chRZ2bS4.dpuf

Sadly Tom has had to call it a day
GWS Giants ruckman Tom Downie has quit football to deal with mental health issues. The 24-year-old took time away from the game in March and has decided he won’t play any football this year. “I’ve been dealing with anxiety for a long period of time and retiring from football gives me the best opportunity to focus on my mental health,” Downie said in a Giants statement. “I’d lost my passion to train and play which made it impossible to give everything that is required as a professional athlete.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/6dccf991ca3f6792d899299ecc70ac03

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back