Chess

Remove this Banner Ad

Chess is the game of kings.

I have a board at home, unfortunately I don't get to use it very often.

My chess career peaked the day that I fooled my opponent into taking my queen, with the undetected fact that it left his king open to a checkmate purely from my pawns. Was satisfying.

www.chess.com is where it's at!

I've played over 200 games in the past few weeks. Finally can get wins over most moderately skilled players... Although people with higher rankings still manage to clean me up.

Watching youtube videos of Mikail Tal's games is really helping. There's lots of help by grand masters on there, too. Eg. various openings and opening defenses.

Going to the shops today to buy a chess board. Turns out my fiance' used to be captain of her collage chess team... Not sure why but I find that seriously sexy. Can't wait to see who wins.

Last edited:
Yes chess is indeed the game of kings. I haven't really got into chess.com I probably should - but nothing beats an over the board game with a nice chess set.

Doss indeed it doesn't get any better than winning after a Queen sacrifice. Have you checked out the "Immortal Game"? Quite possibly the most amazing game of chess ever, victory after sacrificing Queen and both Rooks.

Rustin Cohle I've always wanted to play chess960 - I compare it in a way to the last quarter of a footy final where both sides are tired - learned structures etc go out the window and it just comes down to pure skill and a bit of inspiration!

Much more into Go than chess, though finding someone to play in person is a little more tricky. Plenty of places to play online against similarly skilled opponents.

When I was 13, I was on holiday with the family in the Flinders Ranges. There was another family there whose 15 year old son who was apparently a very good player who had won a number of tournaments. He was looking for some practice and was delighted when I told him I knew how to play.

We sat down and I had him there for hours until he finally beat me. Afterwards he said I had the most confusing game style and it took him hours to work out what I was doing. I told him I didn't know what I was doing either, I was just moving pieces to counter his attacks. :)

If he hadn't tried working out my style, he could have beaten me in 10 minutes haha!!!

You chess players all know about the en passant pawn rule, yeah? I get called a cheat every time I use it. Only the availability of internet-capable phones has saved my good name in recent years:(

Yeah I've had the odd occasion where I've had to go through the motions of explaining it, even going into detail about how the pawn's two square option is a relativley new rule, etc.

It is probably the one rule that people don't know that coms up in play. I'm sure there are many who dont know the 50 move rule or threefold repetition but never seems to have come up in a game for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You chess players all know about the en passant pawn rule, yeah? I get called a cheat every time I use it. Only the availability of internet-capable phones has saved my good name in recent years:(
Never heard of it... I've been playing wrong for years.

Yeah free to join and play.

Chess960 is basically the same as chess except that the back row of pieces are randomly positioned for any given game. Bobby Fisher invented it because he thought it would be more suitable for players that had a natural instinct or skill for the general principles of the game; rather than a solid grounding in memorising and practicing standard chess openings.

Am interested in looking at this. Do people play under assumed names, as on here ? And I read above that it is free to join and play ?Edited to say of course they play under assumed names Having a look

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back