2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

also while I wouldn't advocate trading Leuenberger (or Martin) in a direct swap for Ryder. IF we can get Ryder for a 2nd round pick then we have 3 players who have played their best footy in the ruck and that footy demands a first 22 position. In that instance Beams becomes more valuable to us than 'the third' ruckman and we can't (to my knowledge) sign and trade Ryder so moving on one of the other two becomes an option.

I suppose you could do Beams to Brisbane for Pick 4 and 24 with 24 going to Essendon and Collingwood Recieving Ryder and Pick 4. Although Ryder is apparantly keen to leave Melbourne (although note see comment above re: Buddy, Clark, Tippett!)

For me at least, it's not worth talking about the Ryder and Beams trades as to how they might affect one another. And that's mostly because the Ryder trade might have some reality to it, whereas the Beams trade is firmly in the realm of fantasy. It's nice to daydream about it, but unless there's major stuff going on that we don't know about, it ain't gonna happen.

The first daydream I like to indulge in involves Collingwood deciding that Beams is determined to move, so they decide to take what they can get for him now.

Which is ridiculous. His trade value won't significantly decrease in one season. Why not just take the extra year to convince him to stay.

The second daydream is the Aish-Dangerfield-Beams trade, where we trade draft picks with Adelaide to even up the value of those players. Win-win-win. We all get full value out of a player who might be thinking about leaving. It's a great risk minimisation strategy.

But the incentives don't work. For one thing, why would Collingwood trade away a great player like Beams to get someone who'll be a free agent in twelve months anyway? If Dangerfield is prepared to go to Collingwood, then they'll back themselves to convince him to come next year for nothing, and convince Beams to stay.

Mid-table teams like Adelaide and Collingwood don't want to minimise risk so much as to maximise return. They need to make the great leap up the ladder, and the chance of getting the likes of Aish and Dangerfield respectively for nothing or close to it is worth a bit of extra risk in that context. Not so much for us right now.

I would totally unscientifically assess the chances of Ryder running around in a Brisbane jumper next year at about 20%. For Beams, it's somewhere below 1%.

I will be furious of the Demons get pick 3 for Frawley as compensation. It's absolutely ridiculous because he would never fetch that much in trade! Compensation Picks should be allocated at the end of the first round after every team gets a crack. It's ridiculous that other clubs have to suffer.

While I'll be disappointed if we get pushed down a pick, I don't think the compensation pick scheme is too counterintuitive.

I completely agree that Frawley wouldn't demand pick 3 on the open market, but that isn't really the point. The point is that the loss of a comparably good player hurts a sh*te team more acutely. If Frawley was at Sydney and was leaving for exactly the same compensation, I'm not sure anyone would be too cheesed off by them getting pick 18 or 19. The fact is, he's a good enough player to command a hefty salary at a bigger club and Melbourne are atrocious.

To me, it's mostly galling because Melbourne have wasted so many high picks. Not because the system is broken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just had an hour long discussion with with a prominent football personality, he was on his way to the to the All Australian dinner, we met about other business related matters not involving football. At the end, knowing I was a Lions fan he divulged what he understood of the situation and I can tell you his source was a very good one.

The Lions Ryder deal is as good as done, Port have made a pitch last minute, but he said Ryder and his family have only intentions of going to Brisbane.

The plan is, as stated in other media circles, that they trade a second round pick for him, and he and the Lions have been in constant talks.

Once at the club, the lions insist he plead guilty and he take the ASADA wack and miss some games at the start of the season and that is absolutely required as part of the trade.

So currently the sticking point is this - James Hird may face the sack, as has been documented in the media, if any players are forced to miss games or if they plead guilty, so Ryders decision isn't about where he would prefer to play football, that is already decided, he wants to play at Brisbane. The decision is about whether he wants to be responsible for the termination of James Hirds contract and whether or not he want to throw the club back in to turmoil on that scale. He is close with Hird and this is causing big trouble for him and what he it deciding this week.

This is also why Essendon are working overtime to try and keep this from happening, if he pleads guilty and cops to that ASADA deal, Hirds coaching position becomes untenable, infact he said contractual" (i believe the new extension upon return has "contract is terminated if any player is found or pleads guilty") this is also why Bomber is staying around, as he may be needed as a back up.

I asked about Beams and he shook his head and said "Won't happen".

I asked about Leuey and he said "word is they will trade him, it may have even happened without Ryder going there, Matthew isnt a big football brain, he has lots of other interests out side of football, and I am not sure that Leppa is overly committed to him either way, word is they will seek a second round pick from another club to still hold a full hand at the draft".

Read into it what you will, but I am telling you.. this is the best info we have had on this board.

That's one crazy offer. For someone (Rocky) who is untouchable... that's an unbelievable offer to reject. Not sure how you could say no to that. But I think I'd find a way to :p
haha just a bit of banter. But in the last few seasons it has been hard to stay interested (in Melbourne FC).. so rather I have resorted to fantasy footy! Since then I have developed a huge man crush for Rocky haha!... just love the man.. even own a Brissy jumper with the 38 on the back!

Best of luck to you guys in season 2015!

I just had an hour long discussion with with a prominent football personality, he was on his way to the to the All Australian dinner, we met about other business related matters not involving football. At the end, knowing I was a Lions fan he divulged what he understood of the situation and I can tell you his source was a very good one.

The Lions Ryder deal is as good as done, Port have made a pitch last minute, but he said Ryder and his family have only intentions of going to Brisbane.

The plan is, as stated in other media circles, that they trade a second round pick for him, and he and the Lions have been in constant talks.

Once at the club, the lions insist he plead guilty and he take the ASADA wack and miss some games at the start of the season and that is absolutely required as part of the trade.

So currently the sticking point is this - James Hird may face the sack, as has been documented in the media, if any players are forced to miss games or if they plead guilty, so Ryders decision isn't about where he would prefer to play football, that is already decided, he wants to play at Brisbane. The decision is about whether he wants to be responsible for the termination of James Hirds contract and whether or not he want to throw the club back in to turmoil on that scale. He is close with Hird and this is causing big trouble for him and what he it deciding this week.

This is also why Essendon are working overtime to try and keep this from happening, if he pleads guilty and cops to that ASADA deal, Hirds coaching position becomes untenable, infact he said contractual" (i believe the new extension upon return has "contract is terminated if any player is found or pleads guilty") this is also why Bomber is staying around, as he may be needed as a back up.

I asked about Beams and he shook his head and said "Won't happen".

I asked about Leuey and he said "word is they will trade him, it may have even happened without Ryder going there, Matthew isnt a big football brain, he has lots of other interests out side of football, and I am not sure that Leppa is overly committed to him either way, word is they will seek a second round pick from another club to still hold a full hand at the draft".

Read into it what you will, but I am telling you.. this is the best info we have had on this board.

Greatly appreciate your insights. I think that Beams or anyone else won't becoming here this year and there will
be even more clearing out of players for even more greater cap space and next year will be the year we make some big plays either via free agency or trades and believe that the club is having these discussions with these types already.

I reckon we would want more than a second rounder for Leuey.
Is this his real trade value though? I'm not too sure we would get more and I think that there is a bigger picture to all of this even though it will take a year or two to play out. However, would greatly accept more if anyone is willing, possibly Port?

I reckon we would want more than a second rounder for Leuey.
De boer and a pick from Freo?
Zac Clarke was almost non existant in freos last game... Imagine Luey running around the ground whilst big sandi is still playing, Sandi could only have 1-2 years left anyway
Throw in Frawley and freo would be a good chance again next year.

Find this hard to believe

I disagree, as soon as he said it I had a light bulb moment, it may not be part of the actual trade agreement, but it was this persons understanding that as part of the discussions we are determined that he activate the 'clean slate' options that is currently on the table from ASADA, rather than have the speculation and the drama follow him into our club.

Take a few weeks and get on with his career, Paddy is apparently currently tossing up whether he wants to make that call, as opposed to taking time out to decide whether he wants to actually make the move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back